- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Improving Effect of Extract of Ganoderma lucidum in Atherosclerosis from LDL Receptor Knockout Mouse
LDL Receptor Knockout Mouse에서 영지추출물의 죽상경화증 개선 효과
- Received : 2015.12.18
- Accepted : 2016.01.22
- Published : 2016.01.30
Objectives : This study was designed to protect effect on atherosclerosis through regulation of low density lipoprotein(LDL) by 70 % ethanol extract Ganoderma lucidum (GL) in LDL receptor knockout mouse (LDLr ko mice) fed Western diet.Methods : The LDLr ko mice were divided into 3 groups ; Control, GL100, and GL300. After grouping, LDLr ko mice were fed Western diet. The GL (100 or 300 mg/kg body weight/day, p.o.) was administered every day for 8 weeks. The body weight and food intake were measured every day. The changes in the levels of alanine aminotransferase (ALT), aspartate aminotransferase (AST), creatinine, triglyceride (TG), total cholesterol (TC), and high-density lipoprotein (HDL) in serum were analyzed after experiment.Results : The LDLr ko mice fed Western diet were increased body weight gain and blood biochemistry parameters such as ALT, AST, TG, TC, and LDL. However GL300 group significantly reduced the body weight. Also TG, TC, and LDL level did not increase. The levels of ALT, AST, HDL were not changed. Also, LDLr ko mice model liver were observed lipid drop, but GL groups did not appear. Futhermore, histological analysis of GL groups aorta tissue were similar to NOR groups.Conclusions : We confirmed that whether GL administration is protect atherosclerosis or not. As the results, blood biochemistry and histological analysis did not changed much in GL administration groups. This study provides scientific evidence that GL protect the atherosclerosis through the reduction of LDL cholesterol. Therefore GL has potential medicine inhibition of atherosclerosis.
Ganoderma lucidum;LDL receptor knockout mouse;atherosclerosis;LDL cholesterol
- Glass CK, Witztum JL. Atherosclerosis. the road ahead. Cell. 2001 ; 104(4) : 503-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00238-0
- Kim TH, Son YK, Hwang KH, Kim MH. Effects of Angelica keiskei Koidzumi and Turmeric Extract Supplementation on Serum Lipid Parameters in Hypercholesterolemic Diet or P-407-Induced Hyperlipidemic Rats. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2008 ; 37(6) : 708-13. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2008.37.6.708
- Lee CH, Yi HS, Kim JE, Heo SK, Cha CM, Won CH, Park SD. Anti-oxidative and Anti-inflammatory Effect of Fractionated Extracts of Smilacis Glabrae Rhizoma in Human Umbilical Vein Endothelial Cell. Kor J Herbol. 2009 ; 24(3) : 39-50.
- Kim KH, Kim DH, Kim YS. Effects of Dodam-tang on Cerebral Ischemic Damage of Hyperlipidemic Rats. Kor J Herbol. 2014 ; 29(5) : 23-30. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2014.29.5.23
- Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Mitchell R. ROBBINS basic pathology, 8th edition. E public korea. 2009
- Eberini I, Wait R, Calabresi L, Sensi C, Miller I, Gianazza E. A proteomic portrait of atherosclerosis. J Proteomics. 2013 ; 82 : 92-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2013.02.007
- Li AC, Glass CK. The macrophage foam cell as a target for therapeutic intervention. Nat Med. 2002; 8(11) : 1235-42. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm1102-1235
- Huszar D, Varban ML, Rinninger F, Feeley R, Arai T, Fairchild-Huntress V, Donovan MJ, Tall AR. Increased LDL cholesterol and atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice with attenuated expression of scavenger receptor B1. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000 ; 20(4) : 1068-73. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.ATV.20.4.1068
- The whole country a college of Oriental medicine. The joint textbook publish commission compilation. Herbalogy. Seoul : younglimsa. 1995.
- Miyazaki T, Nishijima M. Studies on fungal polysaccharides. XXVII. Structural examination of a water-soluble, antitumor polysaccharide of Ganoderma lucidum. Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 1981 ; 29(12): 3611-6. https://doi.org/10.1248/cpb.29.3611
- Park MH, oh KY, Lee BW, Anti-cancer activity of Letinus edodes and Pleurotus. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 1998 ; 30 : 702-8.
- Wang SY, Hsu ML, Hsu HC, Tzeng CH, Lee SS, Shiao MS, Ho CK. The anti-tumor effect of Ganoderma lucidum is mediated by cytokines released from activated macrophages and T lymphocytes. Int J Cancer. 1997 ; 70(6) : 699-705. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19970317)70:6<699::AID-IJC12>3.0.CO;2-5
- Berger A, Rein D, Kratky E, Monnard I, Hajjaj H, Meirim I, Piguet-Welsch C, Hauser J, Mace K, Niederberger P.Cholesterol-lowering properties of Ganoderma lucidum in vitro, ex vivo, and in hamsters and minipigs. Lipids Health Dis. 2004 ; 3 : 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-3-2
- Kabir Y1, Kimura S, Tamura T. Dietary effect of Ganoderma lucidum mushroom on blood pressure and lipid levels in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR). J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1988 ; 34(4): 433-8. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.34.433
- The ministry of Food and Drug Safety. Herbal Medicine Databasde. Avaliable from : URL :http://www.mfds.go.kr/herbmed/index.do?nMenuCode=7&codeKHP-N218&include Url=/herbmed/view.jsp
- Boh B, Berovic M, Zhang J, Zhi-Bin L. Ganoderma lucidum and its pharmaceutically active compounds. Biotechnol Annu Rev. 2007 ; 13 : 265-301. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1387-2656(07)13010-6
- Rosenfeld ME, Ross R. Macrophage and smooth muscle proliferation in therosclerotic lesions of WHHL and comparably hypercholesterolemic fat-fed rabbits. Atheriosclerosis. 1990 ; 10 : 680-7.
- Sakai M, Kobori S, Miyazaki A, Horiuchi S. Macrophage proliferation in atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol. 2000 ; 11 : 504-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00041433-200010000-00008
- Lin ZB, Zhang HN. Anti-tumor and immunoregulatory activities of Ganoderma lucidum and its possible mechanisms. Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2004 ; 25(11) :1387-95.
- Yang YH, Yang J, Jiang QH. Hypolipidemic effect of gypenosides in experimentally induced hypercholesterolemic rats. Lipids Health Dis. 2013; 12 : 154. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-511X-12-154
- Hommels MJ, van der Ven AJ, Kroon AA, Kessels AG, van Dieijen-Visser MP, van Engelshoven JA, Bruggeman CA, de Leeuw PW. C-reactive protein, atherosclerosis and kidney function in hypertensive patients. J Hum Hypertens. 2005 ; 19(7) : 521-6. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.jhh.1001878
- Li AC, Brown KK, Silvestre MJ, Willson TM, Palinski W, Glass CK. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma ligands inhibit development of atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice. J Clin Invest. 2000 ; 106(4) : 523-31. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI10370
- Nuotio-Antar AM, Hachey DL, Hasty AH. Carbenoxolone treatment attenuates symptoms of metabolic syndrome and atherogenesis in obese, hyperlipidemic mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 ; 293(6) :E1517-28. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00522.2007
- Coenen KR, Hasty AH. Obesity potentiates development of fatty liver and insulin resistance, but not atherosclerosis, in high-fat diet-fed agouti LDLR-deficient mice. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 ; 293(2) : E492-9. https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpendo.00171.2007
- Anti-obesity effects of boiled tuna extract in mice with obesity induced by a high-fat diet vol.38, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijmm.2016.2695