- Volume 31 Issue 1
Objectives : The present study was conducted to evaluate protective effects of Combined Extract of young persimmon fruit and citrus peel (PCM) in Reflux Esophagitis(RE) rats.Methods : Twenty-four Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats were divided four groups and each group had six rats ; Normal group, RE control group, RE group treated PCM 50 ,100 mg/kg body weight group. Reflux esophagitis was induced that tied the pylorus and fundus in SD rats stomach. PCM was administered at 50, 100 mg/kg body weight 2 hrs prior to induction of RE. After 6 hrs, the effects of PCM treated rats were compared with those of normal and control rats. We have performed an analysis such as pH of stomach secretion, oxidative stress biomarkers in serum, and western blot.Results : The increased esophageal mucosa damage by RE was markedly improved by PCM treatment in a dose-dependent manner. Also, the administration of PCM decreased the elevated serum reactive oxygen species (ROS) and peroxynitrite (ONOO-) in serum. The protein expressions of anti oxidant such as SOD, catalase, GPx exhibited down-regulation by PCM treatment in tissues. And, PCM effectively reduce inflammatory cytokines such as inflammation-related proteins cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), Tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), interleukin-6 (IL-6) in RE rats. In addition, NFκB and p-IκBɑ were decreased in PCM-adiministrated RE rats. But there was no difference on stomach secretion pH between reflux esophagitis rats and PCM administration rat group.Conclusions : In conclusion, administration of PCM (50, 100 mg/kg body weight) made esophagus have less inflammation and injury by decreased NFκB path way. These findings suggest that PCM could have Improving effects on reflux esophagitis.
Young persimon fruit;Citrus peel;reflux esophagitis;oxidative stress;anti-inflammation
- Kahrilas PJ, Quigley EM. Clinical esophageal pH recording: a technical review for practice guideline development. Gastroenterology. 1996 ; 110 : 1982-96. https://doi.org/10.1053/gast.1996.1101982
- Park IS, Ham GB, Lim DS. Free acid scavenging and digestive disease diagnosis and treatment. 1993 ;13(5) : 548-54.
- Kim JL. Digestive disease. Seoul : Ilchokak. 2000 :146.
- Olbe L, Lundell L. Medical treatment of reflux esophagitis. Hepatogastroenterology 1992 ; 39(4) :322-4.
- Freston JW, Malagelada JR, Petersen H, McCloy RF. Critical issues in the management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1995 ;7 : 577-86.
- Donnellan C, Preston C, Moayyedi P, Sharma N. Medical treatments for the maintenance therapy of reflux oesophagitis and endoscopic negative reflux disease. The Cochrane Library. 2004.
- Seo BI, Jeong KY. Well-defined galenic pharmacy. Daegue : Daegue hanny university publishing house. 2007 : 226-7.
- Matsuo T, Ito S. The chemical structure of kakitannin from immature fruit of the persimmon (Diospyros kaki L.). Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 1978 ; 42(9) : 1637-43. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb1961.42.1637
- Seo JH, Jeong YJ, Kim KS. Physiological characteristics of tannins isolated from astringent persimmon fruits. Korean J Food Sci Technol. 2000 ; 32(1) : 212-7.
- The whole country a college of Oriental medicine The joint textbook publish commission compilation. Herbalogy. Seoul : Younglimsa. 2007 : 389-91.
- Hyon JS, Kang SM, Senevirathne M, Koh WJ. Yang TS, Oh MC, Oh CH, Kim SH. Antioxidative activities of dried and fresh citrus peels in Jeju. Korean J Food Cook Sci. 2010 ; 26(1) : 88-94.
- Park SH, Yun SH, Kwon YM, Yeom SR, Kwon YD, Shin BC. Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Citrus Unshiu. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2005 ; 15(1) :25-37.
- Oriental College textbooks compiled by the National Joint Council. Well-defined galenic pharmacy. 2011: 390-1.
- Omura N, Kashiwagi H, Chen G, Suzuki Y, Yano F, Aoki T. Establishment of surgically induced chronic acid reflux esophagitis in rats. Scand J Gastroenterol. 1999 ; 34(10) : 948-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/003655299750025020
- Kooy NW, Royall JA, Ischiropoulos H, Beckman JS. Peroxynitrite-mediated oxidation of dihydrorhodamine 123. Free Radic Biol Med. 1994 ; 16(2) : 149-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)90138-4
- Rao CV, Vijayakumar M. Effect of quercetin, flavonoids and alpha-tocopherol, an antioxidant vitamin on experimental reflux oesophagitis in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2008 ; 589 : 233-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2008.04.062
- A Thomson, D Hemphill, KN Jeejeebhoy. Oxidative stress and antioxidants in intestinal disease. Digestive Diseases. 1998.
- O’Neill LA, Kaltschmidt C. NF-kappa B: a crucial transcription factor for glial and neuronal cell function. Trends Neurosci. 1997 ; 20(6) : 252-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0166-2236(96)01035-1
- Mladenov M, Gokik M, Hadzi-Petrushev N, Gjorgoski I, Jankulovski N. The relationship between antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in senescent rat erythrocytes. Physiol Res. 2015 ; 64(6) : 891-6.
- Baeuerle PA, Henkel T. Function and activation of NF-kappa B in the immune system. Annu Rev Immunol. 1994 ; 12 : 141-79. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.iy.12.040194.001041
- Van Antwerp DJ, Martin SJ, Verma IM, Green DR. Inhibition of TNF-induced apoptosis by NF-kappa B. Trends Cell Biol. 1998 ; 8(3) : 107-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0962-8924(97)01215-4
- Lee ST. Effects of Individual Herbal Components of Yijintang-gamibang in the Rat Reflux Esophagitis. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2013 ; 34(2) : 165-77.