- Volume 31 Issue 1
Objectives : The aim of this study is to investigate the various effects of individual or combined extract of GamiSaengmaeksan (GSS) on cell viability, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activityMethods : In order to evaluate cytotoxicity, MTT assay was performed. We investigated the levels of proinflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-α and interleukin (IL)-6 and interleukin (IL)-1β, and nitric oxide(NO) in LPS-induced RAW 264.7 cells to check the effects on anti-inflammatory activity. The level of NO production in RAW 264.7 cells was measured by using Griess reagent. The levels of cytokines and ROS were measured by Luminex and Flow cytometry, respectively.Results : At concentration of 200 ㎍/㎖ GSS, cytotoxicity was observed in RAW 264.7 cells. However, at concentration less than 100 ㎍/㎖ of both combine and individual GSS, cytotoxicity was not observed in Raw 264.7 cells. However, the level of ROS in RAW 264.7 cells were decreased at both extract of 100 ㎍/㎖ GSS. Also, the level of NO in RAW 264.7 cells were decreased from extraction of concentration of 100 ug/ml in GSS and individual-extraction of Liriopis Tuber, White Ginseng and Glycyrrhizae Radix. In addition, productions of pro-inflammatory cytokines (TNF-α) in LPS-induced RAW 264.7 cells were decreased from extraction of concentration of 10 and 100 (㎍/㎖) in GSS and individual-extraction of Liriopis Tuber.Conclusions : It is concluded that combined extract of GSS appears to be more effective in anti-oxidation and anti-inflammatory effect than those in individual-extraction of GSS. These results may be developed as a raw material for new therapeutics to ease the symptoms related with inflammatory and oxidative stress.
anti-oxidation;anti-inflammatory;cytokine;GamiSaengmaeksan;Reactive oxygen species
- Galli SJ, Gordon JR, Wershil BK. Mast cell cytokines in allergy and inflammation. Agents Actions Suppl. 1993 ; 43(1) : 209-20.
- Cheon MS, Yoon TS, Choi GY, Kim SJ, Lee AY, Moon BC, Choo BK, Kim HK. Comparative Study of Extracts from Rhubarb on Inflammatory Activity in Raw 264.7 Cells. Korean J Medicinal Crop Sci. 2009 ; 17(2) : 109-114.
- Liang YC, Huang YT, Tsai SH, Lin-Shiau SY, Chen CF, Lin JK. Supresion of inducible cycloxygenase and inducible nitric oxide synthase by apigenin and related flavonoids in mouse macrophages. Carcinogenesis. 1999 ; 20(10) : 1945-52. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/20.10.1945
- Lee DW. Dongwonsipjongeuiseo. Seoul : Daeseongmunhwasa. 1983 : 41, 90-1, 339.
- Oriental-Medicine dictionary Compilation committee. Oriental-Medicine dictionary. Seoul : Jungdam. 2001: 712.
- Lee ES. Effect of Saengmaeksan impact on exercise performance and hematological changes as a sports drink. Kyunghee University. 1989.
- Kim YS. Effect of Wingisaengmaek-San Extract on Antioxidative acticity and Anti-Fatigue. Kyunghee University. 2009.
- Park DH. (The) effects of Saengmaeksankaminokgak on the recovery of exercise induced fatigue. Dongeui University. 2009.
- Kim JY. (The) Effects of kami-saengmaeksan on the recovery of exercise induced fatigue. Dongeui University. 1999.
- Donguihak Dictionary Compilation Committee. New donguihak Dictionary. Seoul : Yeo Gangchulpansa. 2003 : 218.
- Kim ES, Yoo DY. Protective Effect of Processed Saengmaek-san(SM) on Cell Damage in UV-exposed HaCaT Cell. J Orient Obste Gynecol. 2011 ; 24(2): 33-51.
- Moon H, Hwang CY, Hong SH, Hong CH, Kim NK, Jo GW, Lim KS. A Comparative Study on the Effects of Saengmaeksan and Saengmaeksan-gamibang on Atopic Dermatitis in NC/Nga mouse. J Korean Orient Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2012; 25(1) : 33-54. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2012.25.1.033
- Bae BC. Commentary on Nei-Jing. Seoul : Sungbosa. 200, 725-8.
- Mum RM. Documentary Consideration about Stress. J Orient Neuropsychiatry. 1991 ; 2(1) : 38-50.
- LIM JS, KANG OH, SEO YS, KWON DY. Effects of Haedokgumhwa-san Water Extracts on LPS -induced Inflammatory Response in Macrophage. Kor J Herbol. 2015 ; 30(5) : 67-74. https://doi.org/10.6116/kjh.2015.30.5.67.
- Jung HK. Development of functional food material containing antiallergy activity by Houttuynia Cordata and Platycodon grandiflorum. ChungNam University. 2010.
- Woo KS, Hwang IG, Noh YH, Jeong HS. Antioxidant activity of Heated Licotice Extracts in Korea. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2007 ; 36(6) : 689-95. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.689
- Seo SH, Choi MO. Research Paper : Glycyrrhizae Radix Suppresses Human TNF-α-induced Inflammation Via Blockade of p38 Activation in HaCaT Cells. J Korean Soc Cosmetol. 2013 ; 19(2) : 207-14.
- Choi BK, Jung SY, Park KS, Jo JH. Reactive Oxygen Substances and Diseases. Seoul : SinIlBooks. 2004: 34-7.
- Jung HS, Song YS, No KH, Jo YH, Park JY, Choi CY, Kwon TY. Effect of buchu (Allium tuberosum)on lipid peroxidation and antioxidative defense system in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Life Sci. 2003 ; 13(3) : 333-42. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2003.13.3.333
- Ryu IH, Cho HB, Kim SB, Seo YJ, Choi CM. The inhibitory effect of Picrasmae Lignum on inflammatory responses. J Orient Obste Gynecol. 2011 ; 24(1) :1-14.
- Kim KA, Lee HS, Yoon HJ, Park SD. Antioxidative and Anti-inflammatory Effect of Fractionated Extracts of Cynomorium Songaricum. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2009 ; 23(6) : 1320-31.
- Mantovani A. Cancer: inflaming metastasis. Nature. 2008 ; 457(7225) : 36-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/457036b
- Choi IP. Oxygen free radical and Cancer. Hanyang Med Rev. 2013 ; 33(2) : 118-22. https://doi.org/10.7599/hmr.2013.33.2.118
- Tak MJ, Tak MR, Kang KH, Ko WS, Yoon HJ. The Inhibitory Effects of Yang Geouk San Hwa-Tang on LPS-stimulated inflammation in RAW 264.7macrophage cells. J Korean Orient Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2010 ; 23(1) : 118-34.
- Gabay C. Interleukin-6 and chronic inflammation. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006 ; 8 : S3. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar1917
- Kwak CS, Lee JH. In vitro Antioxidant and Antiinflammatory Effects of Ethanol Extracts from Sprout of Evening Primrose (Oenothera laciniata)and Gooseberry (Actinidia arguta). J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr. 2014 ; 43(2) : 207-15. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2014.43.2.207
- Zhang Y, Ramos BF, Jakschik BA. Neutrophil recruitment by tumor necrosis factor from mast cells in immune complex peritonitis. Science. 1992; 258(5092) : 1957-9. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1470922
- Gabay, C. Interleukin-6 and chronic inflammation. Arthritis Res Ther. 2006 ; 8 : S3. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar1917
- Wang, X, Luo Y, Liao WB, Zhang J, Chen TM. Effect of osteoprotegerin in combination with interleukin-6on inhibition of osteoclast differentiation. Chin J Traumatol. 2013 ; 16(5) : 277-80.
- Medzhitov R. Origin and physiological roles of inflammation. Nature. 2008 ; 454(7203) : 428-35. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature07201