- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Polygalae Radix Preparata Cum Glycyrrhizae Radix on 4-HNE-induced Apoptosis in PC-12 cell
지감초자(志甘草煮)가 4-HNE로 유도된 Apoptosis에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.12.31
- Accepted : 2016.01.25
- Published : 2016.01.30
Objectives : The study was designed to observe the effect of Polygalae Radix Preparata Cum Glycyrrhizae Radix on 4-Hydroxynonenal (4-HNE)-induced apoptosis in PC-12 cell.Methods : A cytotoxic test on Polygalae Radix Preparata Cum Glycyrrhizae Radix (PG) was conducted and another MTT assay was conducted to observe the cytoprotective effect against 4-HNE that cause oxidative stress. In addition, in order to observe the expression of Bax, Bcl-2, Caspase-3 and TNF-α protein involved with apoptosis, western blot was conducted.Results : The groups treated with 25 ㎍, 50 ㎍ and 100 ㎍ of PG water extract had no toxicity for PC-12 cell. The groups treated with 25 ㎍, 50 ㎍ and 100 ㎍ of PG water extract showed a significant increase of cell survival rate in comparison with the control group injected by only 4-HNE. The groups treated with 25 ㎍ and 50 ㎍ of PG water extract showed a significant supression on increase of Bax protein expression in the control group. The group treated with 100 ㎍ of PG water extract showed a significant promotion on decrease of Bcl-2 protein expression in the control group. The group treated with 50 ㎍ of PG water extract showed a significant supression on increase of Caspase-3 protein expression in the control group. The group treated with 25 ㎍ of PG water extract showed a significant supression on increase of TNF-α protein expression in the control group.Conclusions : These results suggest that Polygalae Radix Preparata Cum Glycyrrhizae Radix is effective in reducing apoptosis by 4-HNE-dameged cell.
Polygalae Radix Preparata Cum Glycyrrhizae Radix;Apoptosis;Bax;Bcl-2;Caspase-3;TNF-α
- Kang BS. Clinical fomulation herbal medicine. Seoul:Younglimsa. 1996 : 309-11.
- Park JH, Kim SR, Song ES, Im MW, Lee BL, Lee WY. Placental apoptosis from pregnancies complicated by fetal growth restriction or preeclampsia: expression of Bcl-2, Bax and p53. Korean J Obstet Gynecol. 2005 ; 48 : 891-900.
- Pyo SN, Son ES. Understanding of the molecular mechanism of apoptosis-related factors and excavation. Daejeon : Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information. 2005 : 4-10.
- Oriental college textbooks compiled by the National Joint Council collaborated. Herbal Medicine. Seoul :Younglimsa. 2007 : 532-3.
- Oh HS, Kim BW. Anti-inflammatory activity of the water extract of Polygala tenuifolia Willd. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2013 ; 34(2) : 204-14.
- Lee HJ, Ban JY, Koh SB, Seong NS, Bae KW, Seong YH. Polygalae radix extract protects cultured rat granule cells against damage induced by NMDA. Am J Chin Med. 2004 ; 32 : 599-610. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0192415X04002235
- Park CH, Choi SH, Koo JW, Seo JH, Kim HS, Jeong SJ, Suh YH. Novel Cognitive improving and neuroprotective activities of Polygala tenuifolia Willdenow extract, BT-11. J Neurosci Res. 2002 ; 70 : 484-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/jnr.10429
- Jung KH. Processing of herbal medicine. Daejeon :Moonjin. 2012 : 253.
- Kwon DR, Bu YM, Seo BI, Lee JH, Choi BY. Herbal medicine: base of oriental medicine and clinical applications. Seoul : Younglimsa. 2012 : 737-9.
- Kerr JF, Wyllie AH, Currie AR. Apoptosis: a basic biological phenomenon with wide-ranging implications in tissue kinetics. Br J Cancer. 1972 ; 26 : 239-57. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1972.33
- Wang X. The expanding role of mitochondria in apoptosis. Genes Dev. 2001 ; 15 : 2922-33.
- Yang J, Liu X, Bhalla K, Kim CN, Ibrado AM, Cai J, Peng TI, Jones DP, Wang X. Prevention of apoptosis by Bcl-2: release of cytochrome c from mitochondria blocked. Science. 1997 ; 275 : 1129-32. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.275.5303.1129
- Cory S, Adams JM. The bcl-2 family: regulators of the cellular life-of-death switch. Nat Rev Cancer. 2002 ; 2 : 647-56. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc883
- Sissiqui MA, Kashyap MP, Kumar V, Al-Khedhairy AA, Musarrat J, Pant AB. Protective potential of trans-resveratrol against 4-hydroxynonenal induced damage in PC-12 cells. Toxicology in Vitro. 2010; 24 : 1592-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2010.06.008
- Liu X, Kim CN, Yang J, Jemmerson R. Wang X. Induction of apoptotic program in cell-free extracts:requirement for dATP and cytochrome c. Cell. 1996 ; 86 : 147-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(00)80085-9
- Wolter KG, Hsu YT, Smith CL, Nechushtan A, Xi XG, Youle RJ. Movement of Bax from the cytosol to mitochondria during apoptosis. J Cell Biol. 1997 ;139 : 1281-92. https://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.139.5.1281
- Ghobrial IM, Witzig TE, Adjei AA. Targeting apoptosis pathways in cancer therapy. CA Cancer J Clin. 2005; 55 : 178-94. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.3.178
- Micheau O, Tschopp J. Induction of TNF receptor I-mediated apoptosis via two sequential signaling complexes. Cell. 2003 ; 114 : 181-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00521-X