- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Multiphase Simulation of Rubber and Air in the Cavity of Mold
- Woo, Jeong Woo (Hankook Tire Central R & D Center) ;
- Yang, Kyung Mi (Design and Engineering Program, Graduate School of Nano IT Design Fusion) ;
- Lyu, Min-Young (Department of Machanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.10.04
- Accepted : 2016.10.21
- Published : 2016.12.31
In the polymer shaping process that uses molds, the quality of the molded products is determined not only by the flow of the (molten) polymer but also by the air venting in the cavity. Inadequate air venting in the cavity can cause defects in the product, such as voids, short shot, or black streaks. As it is critical to consider the location and size of the vents for proper venting of the air in the cavity, a method that predicts the flow of air and material is required. The venting of air by the flow of rubber inside the cavity was simulated by using a multi-phase computational fluid dynamics method. Through computer simulation, the interface of rubber and air over time was predicted. Then, the velocity and pressure distribution of the venting air were observed. Our research proposes a fundamental method for analyzing the multi-phase flow of polymer materials and air inside the cavity of a mold.
Supported by : 한국고무학회
- D. V. Rosato and M. G. Rosato, "Injection Molding Handbook", 3rd Ed., p. 307, Springer Science & Business Media, New York, 2012.
- C. P. Chen, M. T. Chuang, Y. H. Hsiao, and Y. K. Yang, "Simulation and Experimental Study in Determining Injection Molding Process Parameters for Thin-Shell Plastic Parts via Design of Experiments Analysis", Expert Systems with Applications, 36, 10752 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2009.02.017
- C. Lotti, M. M. Ueki, and R. E. S. Bretas, "Prediction of the Shrinkage of Injection Molded Ipp Plaques Using Artificial Neural Networks", Journal of Injection Molding Technology, 6, 157 (2002).
- J. H. Mo, H. J. Kim, and M.-Y. Lyu, "Shrinkage in Injection Molded Part for Operational Conditions and Resins", Elastomers and Composites, 38, 295 (2003).
- S. T. Joo, Y. H. Kim, and M.-Y. Lyu, "Analysis of Forming Processes of PET Bottle Using a Finite Element Method", Transactions of Materials Processing, 10, 525 (2001).
- T.-J. Lho and K.-S. Kim, "An Analysis of Plastic Injection Molding Process for Automobile Gearbox Cover by Moldflow", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 9, 1494 (2008). https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2008.9.6.1494
- K.-H. Lim, "Optimum Design of Rubber Injection Molding Process for the Preparation of Anti-vibration Rubber", Korean Chemical Engineering Research, 48, 490 (2010).
- M. Vishnuvarthanan, R. Panda, and S. Ilangovan, "Optimization of Injection Molding Cycle Time Using Moldflow Analysis", Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 13, 944 (2013).
- B.-C. Song, S.-R. Kim, Y.-G. Kang, and M.-H. Ham, "A Study on the Comparison of Approximation Models for Multi-Objective Design Optimization of a Tire", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers, 10, 117 (2011).
- C. W. Hirt and B. D. Nichols, "Volume of Fluid (VOF) Method for the Dynamics of Free Boundaries", Journal of Computational Physics, 39, 201 (1981). https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9991(81)90145-5
- H. K. Myong, "Numerical Simulation of Multiphase Flows with Material Interface due to Density Difference by Interface Capturing Method", Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers B, 33, 443 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-B.2009.33.6.443
- K.-J. Lee, K.-S. Yang, and C.-W. Kang, "Fractional Step Method Combined with Volume-Of-Fluid Method for Efficient Simulation of Unsteady Multiphase Flow", Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, 15, 99 (2010).
- J. E. Kim and H. K. Myong, "A Study on an Interface Capturing Method Applicable to Unstructured Meshes for the Analysis of Free Surface Flow", Journal of Computational Fluids Engineering, 11, 14 (2006).
- W. J. Rider and D. B. Kothe, "Reconstructing Volume Tracking", Journal of Computational Physics, 141, 112 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1998.5906
- T. E. Tezduyar, "Interface-Tracking and Interface-Capturing Techniques for Finite Element Computation of Moving Boundaries and Interfaces", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 195, 2983 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cma.2004.09.018
- M. Sussman, P. Smereka, and S. Osher, "A Level Set Approach for Computing Solutions to Incompressible Two-Phase Flow", Journal of Computational Physics, 114, 146 (1994). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1994.1155
- Y. C. Chang, T. Y. Hou, B. Merriman, and S. Osher, "A Level Set Formulation of Eulerian Interface Capturing Methods for Incompressible Fluid Flows", Journal of Computational Physics, 124, 449 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1006/jcph.1996.0072
- M. H. Cho, H.-G. Choi, and J.-Y. Yoo, "Study on the Solution of Reinitialization Equation for Level Set Method in the Simulation of Incompressible Two-Phase Flows", Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers B, 32, 754 (2008).
- L. Zhou, D. Y. Liu, and C.-Q. Ou, "Simulation of Flow Transients in a Water Filling Pipe Containing Entrapped Air Pocket with VOF Model", Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics, 5, 127 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1080/19942060.2011.11015357
- M. S. Kim, J. P, and W. I. Lee, "A New VOF-based Numerical Scheme for the Simulation of Fluid Flow with Free Surface (II)-Application to the Cavity Filling ad Sloshing Problems", Journal of the Korean Society of Manufacturing Process Engineers B, 24, 1570 (2000).
- S. Muzaferija and M. Peric, "Computation of Free-Surface Flows using Interface Tracking and Interface-Capturing Methods", Advances in Fluid Mechanics, 24, 59 (1999).
- S. Ghosh and H. B. Bull, "Adsorbed Films of Bovine Serum Albumin: Tensions at Air-Water Surfaces and Paraffin-Water Interfaces", Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, 66, 150 (1963). https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-3002(63)91178-8
- V. Broje and A. A. Keller, "Interfacial Interactions between Hydrocarbon Liquids and Solid Surfaces used in Mechanical Oil Spill Recovery", Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 305, 286 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2006.09.078
- J. E. Mark, "Polymer Data Handbook", Oxford University Press, New York, 1999.