- Volume 51 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Mechanical Characteristics of Polymer Sandwich Panels Containing Injection Molded and 3D Printed Pyramidal Kagome Cores
- Yang, K.M. (Design and Engineering Program Department, Graduate School of Nano IT Design Fusion, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, J.H. (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Choi, T.G. (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Hwang, J.S. (School of Mechanical Aerospace & Systems Enginieering, KAIST) ;
- Yang, D.Y. (School of Mechanical Aerospace & Systems Enginieering, KAIST) ;
- Lyu, M.-Y. (Department of Mechanical System Design Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2016.11.15
- Accepted : 2016.11.22
- Published : 2016.12.31
Additive manufacturing or 3D printing is a new manufacturing process and its application is getting growth. However, the product qualities such as mechanical strength, dimensional accuracy, and surface quality are low compared with conventional manufacturing process such as molding and machining. In this study not only mechanical characteristics of polymer sandwich panel having three dimensional core layer but also mechanical characteristics of core layer itself were analyzed. The shape of three dimensional core layer was pyramidal kagome structure. This core layer was fabricated by two different methods, injection molding with PP resin and material jetting type 3D printing with acrylic photo curable resin. The material for face sheets in the polymer sandwich panel was PP. Maximum load, stiffness, and elongation at break were examined for core layers fabricated by two different methods and also assembled polymer sandwich panels. 3D printed core showed brittle behavior, but the brittleness decreased in polymer sandwich panel containing 3D printed core. The availability of 3D printed article for the three dimensional core layer of polymer sandwich panel was verified.
Supported by : 서울과학기술대학교
- D. G. Ahn and D. Y. Yang, "Principle of Rapid Prototyping and Tis Trend", J. Korean Soc. Prec. Eng., 22, 7 (2005).
- ASTM F2792-12a, 2012, "Standard Terminology for Additive Manufacturing Technologies," ASTM International.
- S. Doroudiani, C. B. Park, and M. T. Kortschot, "Effect of the Crystallinity and Morphology on the Microcellular Foam Structure of Semi-Crystalline Polymers", Polym. Eng. Sci., 36, 2645 (1996). https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.10664
- T. Deligio, "Injection Molding with Mucell: Mucell Microcellular Foam Bubbling up in a Variety of Automotive Applications", Modern Plastics Worldwide, 87, 12 (2010).
- D. Raps, N. Hossieny, C. B. Park, and Volker Altstadt, "Past and Present Developments in Polymer Bead Foams and Bead Foaming Technology", Polymer, 56, 5 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2014.10.078
- E. K. R. Lee, Novel Manufacturing Processes for Polymer Bead Foams. Diss. University of Toronto, Canada. pp. 20-215 (2010).
- N. Bhatnagar, N. Ramakrishnan, N. K. Naik, and R. Komanduri, "On the Machining of Fiber Reinforced Plastic(FRP) Composite Laminates", Int. J. Mach. Tools Manufact., 35, 701 (1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/0890-6955(95)93039-9
- K. W. Jung, Y. Kawahito, and S. Katayama, "Mechanical Property and Joining Characteristics of Laser Direct Joining of CFRP to Polyethylene Terephtalate", Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., 1, 43 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-014-0007-2
- K. Friedrich and A. A. Almajid, "Manufacturing Aspects of Advanced Polymer Composites for Automotive Applications", Appl. Compos. Mater., 20, 107 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10443-012-9258-7
- J. S. Hwang, T. G. Choi, D. Lee, M. Y. Lyu, D. G. Lee, and D. Y. Yang, "Dynamic and Static Characteristics of Polypropylene Pyramidal kagome Structures", Compos. Struct., 131, 17 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.04.065
- J. S. Hwang, T. G. Choi, M. Y. Lyu, and D. Y. Yang, "Investigation for the Bending Modes of a Semi-circular Pyramidal Kagome Sandwich Structure and the Bending Load Calculation", Compos. Struct., 134, 10 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.08.017
- J. S. Hwang, T. G. Choi, D. Lee, M. Y. Lyu, D. G. Lee, and D. Y. Yang, "Development of a Bendable Pyramidal Kagome Structure and its Structural Characteristics", Compos. Struct., 142, 87 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2016.01.079