- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Estimation on Average Residence Time of Particulate Matters in Geoje Bay using Particle Tracking Model
입자추적모델을 이용한 거제만의 입자물질 평균체류시간 산정
Kim, Jin-Ho;Hong, Sok-Jin;Lee, Won-Chan;Kim, Jeong-Bae;Kim, Hyung-Chul;Kim, Dong-Myung
- Received : 2015.10.14
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
The residence time measures the time spent by a water parcel or a pollutant in a given water body. So residence time of water is widely used as an indicator of how a substance will remain in an estuary and it is used to enable comparisons among different water bodies. To estimate residence time of particulate matters from land and aquaculture, EFDC that includes particle tracking model was applied to the Geoje Bay. Modelled average residence time was about 65 days in the inner part. It meant it takes about 2 months for substance from land and aquaculture to be transported to the outside of Geoje Bay. The results indicated that residence time varied spatially throughout Geoje Bay depending on tidal flushing and, in general conditions, tidal flushing exerts the greatest influence to the flushing of Geoje Bay. This reveals relationships between residence times of particulate matters and physical properties of the bay and Geoje Bay is vulnerable to water quality problem.
Residence time;Geoje Bay;EFDC;Particle tracking model;Particulate matters
- Abdelrman, M. A.(2005), Simplified modeling of flushing and residence time in 42 embayment in New England, USA, with special attention to Greenwich Bay, Rhode Island, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 62, pp. 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2004.09.021
- Braunschweig, F., F. Martins, P. Chambel and R. Neves(2003), A methodology to estimate renewal time scales in estuaries: the Tagus estuary case, Ocean Dynamics, Vol. 53, pp. 137-145. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10236-003-0040-0
- Cavalcante, G. H., B. Kjerfve and D. A. Feary(2012), Examination of residence time and its relevance to water quality within a coastal mega-structure: The Palm Jumeirah Lagoon, Journal of Hydrology, Vol. 468-469, pp. 111-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.08.027
- Craig, P. M.(2009), Implementation of a Lagrangian particle tracking sub-model for the environmental fluid dynamics code, Dynamic Solutions-International, LLC, Knoxville, TN, USA.
- Craig, P. M.(2011), User's Manual for EFDC_Explorer: A Pre/Post Processor for the environmental Fluid Dynamics Code, Dynamic Solutions-International, LLC, Knoxville, TN, USA.
- Jung, W. S., W. C. Lee, S. J. Hong, J. L. Kim and D. M. Kim(2014), Hypoxia estimation of coastal bay through estimation of stratification degree, J. Kor. Soc. Mar. Environ & Safety, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 511-525. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2014.20.5.511
- Kenov, I. A., A. C. Garcia and R. Neves(2012), Residence time of water in the Mondego estuary (Portugal), Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 106, pp. 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2012.04.008
- Kim, J. H. and I. C. Lee(2011), A numerical prediction of residence time according to freshwater influx in enclosed bay, J. Kor. Soc. Mar. Environ & Safety, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 339-343. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2011.17.4.339
- Lee, J. S., K. H. Kwon and I. H. Park(2014), Analysis of littoral currents by the coupled hydrodynamic model, J. Kor. Soc. Mar. Environ & Safety, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 247-258. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2014.20.2.247
- Mellor, G. L. and T. Yamada(1982), Development of turbulence closure model for geophysical fluid problem, Review of Geophysical and Space Physics, Vol. 20, pp. 851-875. https://doi.org/10.1029/RG020i004p00851
- Park, J. S., H. C. Kim, W. J. Choi, W. C. Lee and C. G. Park(2002), Estimating the carrying capacity of a coastal bay for oyster culture, J. Kor. Fish. Soc., Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 395-407.
- Park, S. E., W. C. Lee, S. J. Hong, H. C. Kim and J. H. Kim(2011), Variation in residence time and water exchange rate by release time of pollutants over a tidal cycle in Masan Bay, J. Kor. Soc. Marine. Env. Eng., Vol. 14, No. 4, pp. 249-256.
- Shen, J. and L. Haas(2004), Calculating age and residence time in the tidal York River using three-dimensional model experiments, Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 61, pp. 449-461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2004.06.010
- Wolanski, E.(2007), Estuarine Ecohydrology, Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 157.
- Hydrodynamic Effects on Growth Performance of the Pacific Oyster Crassostrea gigas Cultured in Suspension in a Temperate Bay on the Coast of Korea vol.40, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12237-017-0252-z
Grant : 연안어장 생태계 통합평가 및 관리연구
Supported by : 국립수산과학원