- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Community Structure and Health Assessment of Macrobenthic Assemblages at Spring and Summer in Geoje-Hansan Bay, Southern Coast of Korea
거제한산만에 서식하는 대형저서동물의 춘계와 하계의 군집구조 및 건강도 평가
- Jung, Rae Hong ;
- Seo, In-Soo ;
- Choi, Byoung-Mi ;
- Choi, Minkyu ;
- Yoon, Sang-Pil ;
- Park, Sang Rul ;
- Na, Jong Hun ;
- Yun, Jae Seong
- Received : 2015.11.11
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
This study was performed to investigate the community structure and health assessment of macrobenthic assemblages in Geoje-Hansan Bay, Southern Coast of Korea. Macrobenthos were collected by van Veen grab sampler at May (spring) and August (summer) 2013. The total species number and mean density were 300 species
Macrobenthic community structure;Health Assessment;AMBI;M-AMBI;ECI;Geoje-Hansan Bay
- Bae, P. A., C. K Pyen, C. S. Ko, Y. Kim and P. A. Kang (1978), Studies on suspended culture of oyster, Crassostrea gigas, in the Korean coastal (III) on the growth rate of oyster depending on the environmental factors in each growing area, Bulletin of Fisheries Research Development Agency, Vol. 20, pp. 109-111.
- Bang, K. S.(1967), Studies on the quantity and composition of the microplankton in a Bay of Han San, Bulletin of Fisheries Research Development Agency, Vol. 1, pp. 119-130.
- Borja, A., I. Muxika and J. Franco(2003), The application of a marine biotic index to different impact sources affecting soft-bottom benthic communities along European coasts, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 46, pp. 835-845. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-326X(03)00090-0
- Borja, A., J. Franco, V. Valencia, J. Bald, I. Muxica, M. J. Belzune and O. Solaun(2004), Implication of the European Water Framework Directive from the basque county(northern Spain): a methodological approach, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 48, pp. 209-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2003.12.001
- Borja, A., A. Miles, A. Occhipinti-Ambrogi and T. Berg(2009), Current status of macroinvertebrate methods used for assessing the quality of European marine waters: implementing the water framework directive, Hydrobiologia, Vol. 633, pp. 181-196. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-009-9881-y
- Bray, J. R. and J. T. Curtis(1957), An ordination of the upland forest communities of Southern Wisconsin, Ecological Monograph, Vol. 27, pp. 325-349. https://doi.org/10.2307/1942268
- Cai, W., L. Liu, W. Meng and B. Zheng(2012), The suitability of AMBI to benthic quality assessment on the intertidal zones of Bohai Sea, Acta Science Circumstantiae, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 992-1000.
- Cho, Y. S., S. J. Hong, S. E. Park, R. H. Jung, W. C. Lee and S. M. Lee(2010), Application of ecological indicator to sustainable use of oyster culture grounds in Geoje-Hansan Bay, Korea, Journal of Korean Society of Marine & Safety, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 21-29.
- Cho, Y. S., W. C. Lee, J. B. Kim, S. J. Hong, H. C. Kim and C. S. Kim(2013), Establishment of environmental assessment using sediment total organic carbon and macrobenthic polychaete community in shellfish farms, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 19, No. 5, pp. 430-438. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2013.19.5.430
- Choi, W. J., Y. Y. Chun, J. H. Park and Y. C. Park(1997), The influence of environmental characteristics on the fatness of pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas, in Hansan-Koje Bay, Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 30, No. 5, pp. 794-803.
- Choi, J. W., S. M. Hyun and M. Chang(2003), The summer benthic environmental conditions assessed by the functional groups of macrobenthic fauna in Gwangyang Bay, southern coast of Korea, Korean Journal of Environmental Biology, Vol. 21, No. 2, pp. 101-113.
- Clarke, K. R. and R. M. Warwick(2001), Change in marine communities: An approach to statistical analysis and interpretation (2nd edition), PRIMER-E Ltd., p. 144.
- Crawford, C. M., C. K. A. MacLeod and L. M. Mitchell (2003), Effects of shellfish farming on the benthic environment, Aquaculture, Vol. 224, pp. 117-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(03)00210-2
- Creese, R., S. Hooker, S. DeLuca and W. Wharton(1997), Ecology and environmental impact of Musculista senhousia (Mollusca: Bivalvia: Mytilidae) in Tamaki Estuary, Auckland, New Zealand, New Zealand Journal of Marine and Freshwater Research, Vol. 31, pp. 225-236. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330.1997.9516760
- Crooks, J. A.(1998), Habitat alteration and community-level effects of an exotic mussel, Musculista senhousia, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol. 162, pp. 137-152. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps162137
- Crooks, J. A.(2001), Assessing invader roles within changing ecosystems: Historical and experimental perspectives on an exotic mussel in an urbanized lagoon, Biological Invasions, pp. 23-36.
- Dauvin, J. C., T. Ruellet, N. Desroy and A. L. Janson(2007), The ecological quality status of the bay of Seine and the Seine estuary: use of biotic indices, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 55, pp. 241-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.04.010
- Diaz, R. J., M. Solan and R. M. Valente(2004), A review of approaches for classifying benthic habitats and evaluating habitat quality, Journal of Environment Management, Vol. 73, pp. 165-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2004.06.004
- ECJRC(2008), European Commission Joint Research Center, Water framework directive intercalibration technical report, Part.3 Coastal and Transitional waters, Ed. Alessandro Carletti and Anna-Stiina Heiskenen, pp. 18-106.
- Edgar, G. J., C. K. MacLeod, R. B. Mawbey and D. Shields(2005), Broad-scale effects of marine salmonid aquaculture on macrobenthos and sediment environment in southeastern Tasmania, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 327, pp. 70-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2005.06.003
- Gray, J. S.(1981), Detecting pollution induced changes in communities using the log-normal distribution of individuals among species, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 12, No. 5, pp. 173-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/0025-326X(81)90230-7
- Ito, N. and T. Kajihara(1981), The ecological study of the mussel, Musculista senhousia, in a Yokosuka Harbor: Distribution, population changes and total sulphide under the mussel nest (in Japanese), Marine Fouling, Vol. 3, pp. 37-41. https://doi.org/10.4282/sosj1979.3.37
- Jung, R. H., H. S. Lim, S. S. Kim, J. S. Park, K. A. Jeon, Y. S. Lee, J. S. Lee, K. Y. Kim and W. J. Go(2002), A study of the macrozoobenthos at the intensive fish farming grounds in the southern coast of Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography-The Sea-, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 235-246.
- Jung, R. H., S. P. Yoon, J. N. Kwon, J. S. Lee, W. C. Lee, J. H. Koo, Y. J. Kim, H. T. Oh, S. J. Hong and S. E. Park(2007), Impact of fish farming on macrobenthic polychaete communities, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography -The Sea-, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 159-169.
- Jung, R. H., I. S. Seo, M. K. Choi, S. R. Park, B. M. Choi, M. H. Kim, Y. J. Kim and J. S. Yun(2014), Community structure and health assessment of macrobenthic assemblages during spring and summer in the shellfish farming ground of Wonmun Bay, on the southern Coast of Korea, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 908-926. https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0908
- Kim, S. Y., Y. H. Lee, Y. S. Kim, J. H. Shim, M. J. Ye, J. W. Jeon, J. R. Hwang and S. H. Jun(2012), Characteristics of marine environmental in the hypoxia season at Jinhae Bay in 2010, Korean Journal of Nature Conservation, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 115-129. https://doi.org/10.11624/KJNC.2012.6.2.115
- Lee, W. C., Y. S. Cho, S. J. Hong, H. C. Kim, J. B. Kim and S. M. Lee(2011), Estimation of ecological carrying capacity for oyster culture by ecological indicator in Geoje-Hansan Bay, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 315-322. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2011.17.4.315
- Lim, H. S., J. W. Choi, J. G. Je and J. H. Lee(1992), Distribution pattern of macrozoobenthos at the farming ground in the western part of Chinhae Bay, Korea, Bulletin of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 115-132.
- Lim, H. S. and J. S. Hong(1997), Ecology of the macrozoobenthos in Chinhae Bay, Korea, 3. Community structure, Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 175-187.
- Lim, H. S. and K. Y. Park(1998), Population ecology of the mud mussel Musculista senhousia (Bivalvia: Mytilidae) on the mud tidal flat in Mokpo coastal area, southwest coast of Korea, 1. Distribution and growth, Korean Journal of Malacology, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.121-130.
- Lim, K. H., H. C. Shin, S. M. Yoon and C. H. Koh(2007), Assessment of benthic environment based on macrobenthic community analysis in Jinhae Bay, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 9-23.
- Mistri, M., S. Modugno and R. Rossi(2003), Sediment organic matter and its nutritional quality: a short-term experiment with two exotic bivalve species, Chemistry and Ecology, Vol. 19, pp. 225-231. https://doi.org/10.1080/0275754031000119942
- Muxica, I., A. Borja and W. Bonne(2005), The suitability of the marine biotic index(AMBI) to new impact sources along European coasts, Ecological Indices, Vol. 5, pp. 19-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2004.08.004
- Muxica, I., A. Borja and J. Bald(2007), Using historical data, expert judgement and multivariate analysis in assessing reference conditions and benthic ecological status, according to European Water Framework Directive, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 55, pp. 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.05.025
- NFRDI(2002), National Fisheries Research and Development Institute, Environmental Research of Aquaculture Farm, p. 401.
- Paik, S. G. and S. G. Yun(2000), Community structure of the macrobenthos in Chinhae Bay, Korea, Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 572-580.
- Park, H. S., J. W. Choi and H. G. Lee(2000), Community structure of macrobenthic fauna under marine fish cages near Tong-Yong, Southern Coast of Korea, The Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 1-8.
- Park, J. S., H. C. Kim, W. J. Choi, W. C. Lee and C. K. Park(2002), Estimating the carrying capacity of a coastal bay for oyster culture, I. Estimating a food supply to oysters using an eco-hydrodynamic model in Geoje-Hansan Bay, Journal of Korean Fisheries Society, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 395-407.
- Parker, R. H.(1975), The study of benthic communities, A model and a Review, Elservier Oceanographic Series Oxford, p. 277.
- Pearson, T. H. and R. Rosenberg(1978), Macrobenthic succession in relation to organic enrichment and pollution of the marine environment, Oceanography Marine Biology Annual Review, Vol. 16, pp. 229-311.
- Pielou, E. C.(1977), Mathematical Ecology, Wiley Company, New York, p. 164.
- Rosenberg, R. and H. C. Nilsson(2005), Deterioration of soft-bottom benthos along the Swedish Skagerrak coast, Journal of Sea Research, Vol. 54, pp. 231-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seares.2005.04.003
- Shannon, C. E. and W. Weaver(1949), The Mathematical Theory of Communication, University of Illinois Press, Urbana, p. 125.
- Takashi, U.(2008), Validity of acid volatile sulfide as environmental index and experiment for fixing its standard value in aquaculture farms along the coast of Wakayama prefecture, Japan, Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi, Vol. 74, pp. 402-411. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.74.402
- Tanaka, M. and T. Kikuchi(1978), Ecological studies on benthic macrofauna in Tomoe cove, Amakusa, II. Production of Musculista senhousia(Bivalvia, Mytilidae), Published Amakusa Marine Biology Laboratory, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 215-233.
- Tsutsumi, H.(1995), Impact of fish net pen culture on the benthic environment of a cove in south Japan, Estuaries, Vol. 18, pp. 108-115. https://doi.org/10.2307/1352286
- Uyeno, F., S. Funahashi and A. Tsuda(1970), A preliminary studies on the relation between faeces of pearl oyster (Pinctada martensi Dunker) and bottom condition in an estuarine pearl oyster area, Journal of Faculty of Fisheries of Prefectural University Mie, Vol. 8, pp. 113-137.
- Warwick, R. M. and K. R. Clarke(1994), Relearning the ABC: taxonomic changes and abundance/biomass relationships in disturbed benthic communities, Marine Biology, Vol. 118, pp. 739-744. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00347523
- Wildsmith, M. D., T. H. Rose, I. C. Potter, R. M. Warwick, K. R. Clarke and F. J. Valesini(2009), Changes in the benthic macroinvertbrate fauna of a large macrotidal estuary following extrema modifications aimed at reducing eutrophication, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 58, pp. 1250-1262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2009.06.008
- Yoo, J. W., Y. W. Lee, J. L. Ruesink, C. G. Lee, C. S. Kim, M. R. Park, K. T. Yoon, I. S. Hwang, J. H. Maeng, R. Rosenberg and J. S. Hong(2010), Environmental quality of Korean coasts as determined by modified Shannon-Wiener evenness proportion, Environment Monitoring Assessment, Vol. 170, pp. 141-157. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-009-1222-0
- Yoon, S. P., R. H. Jung, Y. G. Kim, S. S. Kim, J. S. Lee, J. S. Park, W. C. Lee and W. J. Choi(2007), Characteristics of benthic environment and polychaete communities of Gamak Bay, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography -The Sea-, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 287-304.
- Yoon, S. P., R. H. Jung, Y. J. Kim, S. G. Kim, M. K. Choi, W. C. Lee, H. T. Oh and S. J. Hong(2009), Macrobenthic community structure along the environmental gradients of Ulsan Bay, Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography-The Sea-, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 102-117.
- A Comparative Study of Macrobenthic Community Structure in the Farming Grounds, Tongyeong, southern coast of Korea : Focusing on Biological and Geomorphological conditions vol.30, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2018.10.30.5.1565
- Effects of finfish aquaculture on biogeochemistry and bacterial communities associated with sulfur cycles in highly sulfidic sediments vol.10, pp.1869-7534, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3354/aei00278
Supported by : 국립수산과학원