- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Dissolved Organic Nitrogen on the Growth of Dominant Phytoplankton in the Southwestern Part of East Sea in Late Summer
늦여름 동해 남서해역에서 용존 유기 질소가 우점 식물플랑크톤의 생장에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.11.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
We investigated the distribution of dissolved nutrients, phytoplankton community structure and utilization of nitrogen compounds by dominant species in the southwestern part of East Sea in September, 2014. Dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN) and dissolved inorganic phosphorus (DIP) were lower in the surface layer, and concentrations were increased with depth. Dissolved organic nitrogen (DON) and dissolved organic phosphorus were the opposite of dissolved inorganic nutrients. Although DIN DIP ratio in all of the water masses was higher than Redfield ratio (16), DIN : DIP ratio in mixed layer was about 2, indicating that inorganic nitrogen is the limiting factor for the growth of phytoplankton. In particular, DON proportion in dissolved total nitrogen was about 88 % in the mixed layer where inorganic nitrogen is limiting factor. The dominant species Chaeotceros debilis and Prorocentrum minimum were able to grow using DIN as well as DON such as urea and amino acids. Therefore, DON utilization of phytoplankton may play a role as a survival strategy in the DIN-limited conditions of East Sea.
East Sea;Dissolved inorganic nitrogen;Dissolved inorganic phosphorus;Dissolved organic nitrogen;Dissolved organic phosphorus;Chaetoceros debilis;Prorocentrum minimum
- Antia, N. J., P. J. Harrison and L. Oliveria(1991), Phycological reviews: the role of dissolved organic nitrogen in phytoplankton nutrition, cell biology, and ecology, Phycologia, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 1-89. https://doi.org/10.2216/i0031-8884-30-1-1.1
- Berns, D. S., P. Holohan and E. Scott(1966), Urease activity in blue-green algae, Science, Vol. 152, No. 3725, pp. 1077-1078. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.152.3725.1077
- Byun, S. K.(1989), Sea surface cold water near the southeastern coast of Korea: Wind effect, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 121-131.
- Chen, Y. L. L, H. B, Lu, F. K. Shiah, G. C. Gong, K. K. Liu and J. Kanda(1999), New production and f-ratio on the continental shelf of the East China Sea: comparisons between nitrate inputs from the subsurface Kuroshio Current and the Changjiang River, Coastal and Shelf Science, Vol. 48, pp. 59-75. https://doi.org/10.1006/ecss.1999.0404
- Chihara, M. and M. Murano(1997), An illustrated guide to marine plankton in Japan, Tokai University Press, Tokyo, p. 1574.
- Chung, C. S., J. H. Shim, Y. C. Park and S. G. Park(1989), Primary productivity and nitrogenous dynamics in the East Sea of Korea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 52-61.
- Collier, J. L., B. Brahamsha and B. Palenik(1999), The marine cyanobacterium Synechococcus sp. WH7805 requires urease (urea amidohydrolase, EC 188.8.131.52) to utilize urea as a nitrogen source: molecular-genetic and biochemical analysis of the enzyme, Microbiology, Vol. 145, No. 2, pp. 447-459. https://doi.org/10.1099/13500872-145-2-447
- Doblin, M. A., S. I. Blackburn and G. M. Hallegraeff(1999), Growth and biomass stimulation of the toxic dinoflagellate Gymnodinium catenatum (Graham) by dissolved organic substances, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, Vol. 236, No. 1, pp. 33-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0981(98)00193-2
- Eppley, R. W. and B. J. Peterson(1979), Particulate organic matter flux and planktonic new production in the deep ocean, Vol. 282, No. 13, pp. 677-680. https://doi.org/10.1038/282677a0
- Grzebyk, D. and B. Berland(1996), Influences of temperature, salinity and irradiance on growth of Prorocentrum minimum (Dinophyceae) from the Mediterranean Sea, Journal of Plankton Research, Vol. 29, pp. 287-296.
- Guillard, R. R. L. and J. H. Ryther(1962), Studies of marine planktonic diatoms: I. Cyclotella nana Hustedt and Detonula confervaca (Cleve) Gran, Canadian Journal of Mircobiology, Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 223-239.
- Hu, Z., S. Duan, N. Xu and M. R Mulholland(2014), Growth and nitrogen uptake kinetics in cultured Prorocentrum donghaiense, PLOS ONE, Vol. 9, No. 4, e94030. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0094030
- Joo, H. T., J. W. Park, S. H. Son, J. H. Noh, J. Y. Jeong, J. H. Kwak, S. P. Stephane, J. H. Choi, C. K. Kang and S. H. Lee(2014), Long-term annual primary production in the Ulleung Basin as a biological hot spot in the East/Japan Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, Vol. 119, No. 5, pp. 3002-3011. https://doi.org/10.1002/2014JC009862
- Kim, K. R. and K. Kim(1996), What is happening in the East Sea (Japan Sea)? : Recent chemical observations during CREAMS 93-96, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 164-172.
- Kim, T. H., Y. W. Lee and G. B. Kim(2010), Hydrographically mediated patterns of photosynthetic pigments in the East/Japan Sea: Low N:P ratios and cyanobacterial dominance, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 82, No. 1-2, pp. 72-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2010.03.005
- Kim, T. H. and G. B. Kim(2013), Factors controlling the C:N:P stoichiometry of dissolved organic matter in the N-limited cyanobacteria-dominated East/Japan Sea, Journal of Marine Systems, Vol. 115-116, pp. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2013.01.002
- Kok, J. W. K., D. C. J. Yeo and S. C. Y. Leong(2015), Growth and physiological responses of a tropical toxic marine microgalga Heterosigma akashiwo (Heterokontophyta: Raphidophyceae) from Singapore waters to varying nitrogen sources and light conditions, Ocean Science Journal, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp. 491-508. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12601-015-0045-x
- Kwak, J. H.(2009), Spatial variations of primary, new and regenerated production in summer in the Tsushima Warm Current system, M.sc. Thesis, Busan National University, Busan, p. 66.
- Kwak, J. H., J. S. Hwang, E. J. Choy, H. J. Park, D. J. Kang, T. S. Lee, K. I. Chang, K. R. Kim and C. K. Kang(2013), High primary productivity and f-ratio in summer in the Ulleung basin of the East/Japan Sea, Deep Sea Research I: Oceanographic Research Papers, Vol. 79, pp. 74-85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr.2013.05.011
- Kwon, H. K., J. A. Park, H. S. Yang and S. J. Oh(2013), Dominance and survival strategy of toxic dinoflagellate Alexandrium tamarense and Alexandrium catenella under dissolved inorganic nitrogen-limited conditions, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 25-35. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2013.16.1.25
- Kwon, H. K, S. J. Oh, M. O. Park and H. S. Yang(2014a), Distribution of water masses and distribution characteristics of dissolved inorganic and organic nutrients in the southern part of the East Sea of Korea: Focus on the observed data in September, 2011, Journal of the Korean Society for Marine Environment and Energy, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 90-103. https://doi.org/10.7846/JKOSMEE.2014.17.2.90
- Kwon, H. K., H. J. Kim, H. S. Yang and S. J. Oh(2014b), The importance of dissolved organic nutrients on the interspecific competition between the harmful dinoflagellate Cochlodinium polykrikoides and the diatom Skeletonema sp., Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 232-242.
- Lartigue, J., E. L. E. Jester, R. W. Dickey and T. A. Villareal(2009), Nitrogen source effects on the growth and toxicity of two strains of the ciguatera-causing dinoflagellate Gambierdiscus toxicus, Harmful Algae, Vol. 8, No. 5, pp. 781-791. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hal.2008.05.006
- Lee, J. B., M. S. Han and H. S. Yang(1998), The ecosystem of the Southern Coastal Waters fo the East Sea, Korea I. phytoplankton community structure and primary productivity in September, 1994, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 31, No.1, pp. 45-55.
- Lee, J. Y., D. J. Kang, I. N. Kim, T. Rho, T. Lee, C. K. Kang and K. R. Kim(2009), Spatial and temporal variability in the pelagic ecosystem of the East Sea (Sea of Japan): A review, Journal of Marine System, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 288-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmarsys.2009.02.013
- Letscher, R. T., D. A. Hansell, C. A. Carlson, R. Lumpkin and A. N. Knapp(2013), Dissolved organic nitrogen in the global surface ocean: distribution and fate, Global Biogeochemical Cycles, Vol. 27, pp. 141-153. https://doi.org/10.1029/2012GB004449
- McCarthy, J. J.(1972), The uptake of urea by natural populations of marine phytoplankton, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 17, No. 5, pp. 738-748. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1972.17.5.0738
- Mitamura, O. and Y. Saijo(1980), In situ measurement of the urea decomposition rate and its turnover rate in the Pacific Ocean, Marine Biology, Vol. 58, pp. 147-152. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00396126
- MLTM(2010), Ministry of Land, Transportation and Marine Affairs, Standard methods for marine environmental analysis, Seoul, p. 495.
- Monaghan, E. J and K. C. Ruttenberg(1999), Dissolved organic phosphorus in the coastal ocean: Reassessment of available methods and seasonal phosphorus profiles from the Eel River shelf, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 1702-1714. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.19184.108.40.2062
- Moon, C. H., H. S. Yang and K. W. Lee(1996), Regeneration processes of nutrients in the polar area of the East Sea. I. Relationship between water mass and nutrient distribution pattern in autumn, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 503-526.
- Moon, C. H., S. R. Yang, H. S. Yang, H. J. Cho, S. Y. Lee and S. Y. Kim(1998), Regeneration processes of nutrients in the polar front area of the East sea. IV. Chlorophyll a distribution, new production and the vertical diffusion of nitrate, Korean Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 31, No. 2, pp. 259-266.
- Mulholland, M. R., P. M. Glibert, G. M. Berg, L. V. Heukelem, S. Pantoja and C. Lee(1998), Extracellular amino acid oxidation by microplankton: a cross-system comparison, Aquatic Microbial Ecology, Vol. 15, pp. 141-152. https://doi.org/10.3354/ame015141
- Narasoe, S., T. Shikata, Y. Yamasaki, T. Matsubara, Y. Shimasaki, Y. Ohima and T. Honjo(2010), Effects on growth of the red-tide dinoflagellate Gymnodinium instriatum Freudenthal et Lee and a possible link to blooms of the species, Hydrobiologia, Vol. 56, pp. 225-238.
- Onitsuka, G., I. Uno, T. Yanagi and J. H. Yoon(2009), Modeling the effects of atmospheric nitrogen input on biological production in the Japan Sea, Journal Oceanography, Vol. 65, pp. 433-438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-009-0038-4
- Palenik, B. and F. M. M. Morel(1990), Comparison of cell-surface L-amino acid oxidases from several marine phytoplankton, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Vol. 59, pp. 195-201. https://doi.org/10.3354/meps059195
- Park, Y. C., S. K. Son, K. H. Chung and K. H. Kim(1995), Characteristics of fluorescent organic matter and amino acids composition in the East Sea, Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 341-354.
- Porter, K. G. and Y. S. Feig(1980), The use of DAPI for identifying and counting aquatic microflora, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 943-948. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1980.25.5.0943
- Provasoil, L., K. Shiraishi and J. R. Lance(1959), Nutritional idiosyncrasies of Artemia and Tigriopus in monoxenic culture, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, Vol. 77, pp. 250-261.
- Shim, J. H.(1994), Illustrated envyvlopedia of fauna and flora of Korea, vol. 34, Marine phytoplankton, Ministry of Education, Seoul, pp. 1-487
- Shim, J. H., K. Y. Kwon, S. Y, Kim and D. S. Yoon(2015), Seasonal change of phytolankton dominant species dased on water mass in the coastal areas of the East Sea, Jornal of the Korean Society of Marine Environment & Safety, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 474-483. https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2015.21.5.474
- Solomon, C. M., J. L. Collier, G. M. Berg and P. M. Glibert(2010), Role of urea in microbial metabolism in aquatic systems: a biochemical and molecular review, Aquatic Microbial Ecology, Vol. 59, pp. 67-88. https://doi.org/10.3354/ame01390
- Tomas, C. R.(1997), Identifying marine phytoplankton, Academic Press, London, p. 858.
- Wheeler, P. A., B. B. North and G. C. Stephens(1974), Amino acid uptake by marine phytoplankters, Limnology and Oceanography, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 249-259. https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1974.19.2.0249
- Yamada, K., J. Ishizaka and H. Nagata(2005), Spatial and temporal variability of satellite primary production in the Japan Sea from 1998 to 2002, Journal of Oceanography, vol. 61, pp. 857-869 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10872-006-0005-2
- Zhang, J., S. M. Liu, J. L. Ren, Y. Wu and G. L. Zhang(2007), Nutrient gradients from the eutrophic Changjiang (Yangtze River) Estuary to the oligotrophic Kuroshio waters and re-evaluation of budgets for the East China Sea Shelf, Progress in Oceanography, Vol. 74, No. 4, pp. 449-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pocean.2007.04.019
- Zubkov, M. V. and G. A. Tarran(2005), Amino acid uptake of Prochlorococcus spp. in surface waters across the South Atlantic Subtropical Front, Aquatic Microbial Ecology, Vol. 40, No. 3, pp. 241-249. https://doi.org/10.3354/ame040241
- Long-term Variations of Phytoplankton Community in Coastal Waters of Kyoungju City Area vol.28, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2016.28.5.1417
Supported by : 부경대학교