- Volume 22 Issue 1
This study analyzed the state of the vessels which were using the berth for dangerous goods more than its carrying capacity in the major dangerous cargo handling port of Ulsan in Korea, The result of the analysis showed that a ship which has 3 times more than the maximum berthing capacity was moored at berth. Accordingly, a simulation model for 50,000 DWT berth was built and carried out the mooring safety analysis with 50,000 DWT, 70,000 DWT and 100,000 DWT vessels by mooring assessment program. The evaluation was carried out according to the standard environment presented in OCIMF standards. 50,000 DWT vessel was evaluated to meet the acceptable criteria but, 70,000 DWT and 100,000 DWT vessels exceeded the acceptable limit as per external conditions. Consequently, safe mooring guidelines were suggested and also proposed the building of common 'Mooring safety guideline' for port with assessment of different cases.
Berth for dangerous goods;Berthing capacity;Mooring safety analysis;Mooring software;Guideline
- Busan Regional Office of Ocean & Fisheries(2014), The number of vessels that depart and arrive(2014), http://www.portbusan.go.kr.
- Choi, B. H. and S. C. Kim(2010), An Empirical Study on Causality among Trading Volume of Busan, Kwangyang and Incheon port, Port Economic, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 61-82.
- IMO(2005), International Maritime Organization, MSC Circular 1175, Guidance On Shipboard Towing and Mooring Equipment.
- Kang, W. S.(2015), A Study of Design for Proper Berthing Capacity of Berths for Dangerous Goods in Ul-San Port, Korea Maritime and Ocean University, Graduate school of Coast Guard Studies, Master's thesis.
- Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries(2014), A Guide for Design of Harbour and Fisheries, pp. 29-52, pp. 710-712.
- OCIMF(2008), Oil Companies International Marine Forum, Mooring Equipment Guidelines. 3rd Edition, pp. 31-38, pp. 77-88, pp. 109-135, pp. 163-173.
- PIANC(2014), Permanent International Association of Navigation Congresses, Harbour Approach Channels Design Guidelines, 3rd Edition, pp. 31-38.
- SP-IDC(2014), Shipping And Port Integrated Data Center, Port Trading Volume(1994-2014) and The number of vessels that depart and arrive(2014), https://www.spidc.go.kr.
- SK Gas/SK Energy(2011), Report of Maritime Traffic Safety Assessment for Extension of the SK Pier (#3) and the Berth of SK Gas, Ch.7, pp. 6-8, pp. 13-27.
- UPA(2014), Ulsan Port Authority, General Status and Specifications for Ul-san Port(2014), http://www.upa.or.kr.