- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Walking Characteristics of Novices at Onboard Environments under Blackout Conditions in a Training Ship
선내 정전조건에서 승선환경 비숙련자의 이동특성 실험 연구
Hwang, Kwang-Il;Cho, Ik-Soon;Lee, Yun-Sok
- Received : 2015.11.06
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
Because most of the passengers are not accustomed with onboard environments, it is very important to analyze and predict the behaviors' characteristics of passengers under disasters' conditions, and apply those results for making countermeasures. On this view point, this study focused on the walking characteristics of onboard-novices are tested and analyzed under blackout condition that has high possibility to happen. As a result, comparing to under normal lighting conditions, the waking times under blackout conditions are 155.8~247.1 % longer on full path, 56.9~331.7 % on corridors, 75.3~152.9 % on stairs, respectively. And under the same blackout conditions, walking times in cases of the exit guidance marks being attached on top side of walls saved times, like 21.6~24.0 % on full path, 37.7~58.9 % on corridors, 18.7~19.2 % on stairs, comparing to the cases of exit guidance marks being not attached. On the other hand, after tests under without exit guidance marks, 60.7% among respondents answered that internal structures like wall/stair (35.7 %) and handrail (25 %) are very helpful to decide way findings, and 28.6 % selected personal instincts is important. But 50 % responded that exit guide marks are effective to find ways, after the tests under with exit guidance marks.
Vessel;Passenger ship;Blackout;Passenger;Crew;Walking speed
- Bles, W., S. Nooy and L. C. Boer(2001), Influence of Ship Listing and Ship Motion on Walking Speed, Proceedings of Conference on Pedestrian and Evacuation Dynamics, pp. 437-452.
- Hwang, K. I., D. K. Shin, Y. J. Kim, J. H. Youn, S. I. Lee and W. H. Hong(2009), A Case Study on the Passengers' Evacuation Times according to the Fire Smoke Density On a Ship, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 369-376.
- Hwang, K. I.(2013a), A Koreans' consciousness survey on the onboard safety of domestic passenger ship, Journal of the Korean Society of Marine Engineering, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 495-501.
- Hwang, K. I.(2013b), An Experiment on Walking Speeds of Freshmen Unexperienced in Shipboard Life on a Passenger Ship, Journal of Korean Institute of Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 37, No. 3, pp. 239-244. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2013.37.3.239
- Hwang, K. I. and Y. S. Lee(2014), A Comparative Study on Evacuation Behavior Characteristics of Trainees according to Experience Level on board a Training Ship, Journal of Korean Institute of Navigation and Port Research, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp. 233-238. https://doi.org/10.5394/KINPR.2014.38.3.233
- IMO(2004), SOLAS, Chapter II-2, Regulation 13, 3.2.5 Marking of escape routes.
- Kim, H. T., D. K. Lee, J. H. Park and S. K. Hong(2004), The Effect on the Mobility of Evacuating Passengers in Ship with Regard to List and Motion, IE Interfaces, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 22-32.
- KATS(2011), 2011 Size Korea - Final Report, Korean Agency for Technology and Standards, 2011.12.15.
- Lee, D. K., H. T. Kim and J. H. Park(2003), Human Behavioral Experiment for Evacuation Analysis, Journal of the Society of Naval Architecture of Korea, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 41-48. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2003.40.2.041
- Miyazaki, K., M. Katuhara, H. Matsukura and K. Hirata (2009), Evacuation Simulation for Disabled People in Passenger ship, 10th International Conference on Mobility and Transport for Elderly and Disabled People.
- MOF(2014), Ships' Utilities Standards, Regulation 2014-168, Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries, 2014.12.29.
- MPSS(2015), Technical Standard on Product Test & Verification for Lighting-Accumulation Type Marks, Notification No.2015-62, Ministry of Public Safety and Security, 2015.01.06.
- A Study on Evacuation Time According to Seafarer Visibility vol.22, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2016.22.6.600
- A Comparison of the Trainees’ Evacuation Characteristics according to the Indoor Smoke-fullfill during the Safety Training on Ship vol.24, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2018.24.4.422
- Shipboard Fire Evacuation Route Prediction Algorithm Development vol.24, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2018.24.5.519