- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Feedforward Control Algorithm for Dynamic Positioning System Using Ship Motion Prediction
선체운동 예측을 이용한 Dynamic Positioning System의 피드포워드 제어 알고리즘에 관한 연구
Song, Soon-Seok;Kim, Sang-Hyun;Kim, Hee-Su;Jeon, Ma-Ro
- Received : 2015.12.04
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
In the present study we verified performance of feed-forward control algorithm using short term prediction of ship motion information by taking advantage of developed numerical simulation model of FPSO motion. Up until now, various studies have been conducted about thrust control and allocation for dynamic positioning systems maintaining positions of ships or marine structures in diverse sea environmental conditions. In the existing studies, however, the dynamic positioning systems consist of only feedback control gains using a motion of vessel derived from environmental loads such as current, wind and wave. This study addresses dynamic positioning systems which have feedforward control gain derived from forecasted value of a motion of vessel occurred by current, wind and wave force. In this study, the future motion of vessel is forecasted via Brown's Exponential Smoothing after calculating the vessel motion via a selected mathematical model, and the control force for maintaining the position and heading angle of a vessel is decided by the feedback controller and the feedforward controller using PID theory and forecasted vessel motion respectively. For the allocation of thrusts, the Lagrange Multiplier Method is exploited. By constructing a simulation code for a dynamic positioning system of FPSO, the performance of feedforward control system which has feedback controller and feedforward controller was assessed. According to the result of this study, in case of using feedforward control system, it shows smaller maximum thrust power than using conventional feedback control system.
Dynamic positioning system;Exponential smoothing forecasting model;Feedback control;Feedforward control;Thruster allocation
- Blendermann, W.(1994), Parameter Identification of Wind Loads on Ships, Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics JWEIA-51, pp. 339-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)90067-1
- Choi, J. W., S. W. Kim, M. C. Ryu and Y. S. Kim(2012), Analysis of the effect based on Azimuth Thruster design parameter, The Korean Society for Marine Environment & Energy, pp. 858-863.
- Kim, S. G., H. R. Yoo and S. B. Kim(1995), Experimental Study on Dynamic Positioning Control of a Semi-Submergible Platform, Transactions of the Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 661-669.
- Lee, D. Y. and M. K. Ha(2001), An Experimental Method of Model Installed Dynamic Positioning System for Drillship, Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, Vol. 38, No. 2, pp. 33-43.
- Lee, W. W.(2009), Statistical methods for forecasting, Jayooacademi, pp. 35-72.
- Mahfouz, A. B. and H. W. El-Tahan(2006), On the Use of the Capability Polar Plots Program for Dynamic Positioning Systems for Marine Vessels, Ocean Engineering, Volume 33, Issues 8-9, pp. 1070-1089. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2005.08.006
- Tannuri, E. A., A. C. Agostinho, H. M. Morishita and L. Moratelli Jr.(2010), Dynamic Positioning Systems: An Experimental Analysis of Sliding Mode Control, Control Engineering Practice, Volume 18, Issue 10, pp. 1121-1132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conengprac.2010.06.007
- Fossen, T. I.(1994), Guidance and Control of Ocean Vehicles. Wiley, pp. 57-90.
- Fossen, T. I.(2011a), Handbook of marine craft hydrodynamics and motion control, Wiley, pp. 152-156.
- Fossen, T. I.(2011b), Handbook of marine craft hydrodynamics and motion control, Wiley, pp. 187-226.
- Fossen, T. I.(2011c), Handbook of marine craft hydrodynamics and motion control, Wiley, pp. 372-384.
- Fossen, T. I.(2011d), Handbook of marine craft hydrodynamics and motion control, Wiley, pp. 398-416.
Supported by : 한국연구재단