- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Temperature Variabilities at Upper Layer in the Korean Marine Waters Related to Climate Regime Shifts in the North Pacific
한국주변해역 상층부의 수온 변동과 북태평양 기후체제와의 관계
- Received : 2016.01.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.25
- Published : 2016.02.28
Temperature variability at the upper layer related to climate regime shifts in the Korean waters was illustrated using water temperature, climate index. Three major climate regime shifts (CRS) in 1976, 1988 and 1998 in north Pacific region had an significant influence on the major marine ecosystems structure pattern. Three marginal seas around Korean peninsula; East Sea, East China Sea and Yellow Sea also got important impact from this kind of decadal shift. We used 10m sea water temperatures in four regions of Korean waters since 1950 to detect major fluctuation patterns both seasonally and also decadal shift. 1988 CRS was occurred in all of the study areas in most seasons however, 1998 CRS was only detected in the Yellow Sea and in the southern part of the East Sea. 1976 CRS was detected in all of the study area mainly in winter. After 1998 CRS, the water temperature in the southern part of the East Sea, East China Sea and Yellow Sea were going into decreased pattern; however, in the northern part of the East Sea, it was further shifted to increasing pattern which was started from 1988 CRS period.
Marginal sea;Climate regime shift;Sea water temperature;Seasonal Variability;Climate Index
- Ashjian, C. J., C. S. Davis, S. M. Gallager and P. Alatalo (2005), Characterization of the zooplankton community, size composition, and distribution in relation to hydrography in the Japan/East Sea. Deep-Sea Research-II, Vol. 52, pp. 1363-1392. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsr2.2005.05.001
- Beamish, R. J., C. E. Neville and A. J. Cass(1997), Production of Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) in relation to decadal-scale changes in the climate and the ocean. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, Vol. 54, pp. 543-554.
- Gong, D. Y. and C. H. Ho(2002), The Siberian high and climate change over middle to high latitude Asia, Theoretical and Applied Climatology, Vol. 72, pp. 1-9.
- Jhun, J. G. and E. J. Lee(2004), A new East Asian Winter Monsoon Index and Associated Characteristics of the Winter Monsoon. Journal of Climate, Vol. 17(4), pp. 711-726. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0442(2004)017<0711:ANEAWM>2.0.CO;2
- Lee, J. H.(1998), Hydrographic observations in the West Sea of Korea. In: Health of the West Sea of Korea. G.H. Hong, J. Zhang and B.K. Park (eds) The Earth Love Publication Association, Seoul, pp. 13-42.
- Mooers, C., H. Kang, I. Bang and D. Snowden(2006), Some lessons learned from Comparisons of numerical simulations and observations of the JES circulation. Oceanography, Vol. 19(3), pp. 86-95. https://doi.org/10.5670/oceanog.2006.46
- Mantua, N. J, S. Hare, Y. Zhang, J. M. Wallace and R. C. Francis(1997), A Pacific interdecadal climate oscillation with impacts on salmon production. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, Vol. 78, pp. 1069-1079. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1997)078<1069:APICOW>2.0.CO;2
- Thomson D. W. J. and J. M. Wallace(1998), The Arctic Oscillation signature in the wintertime geo-potential height and temperature fields. Geophysical Research Letter, Vol. 5, pp. 1297-1300.
Grant : 신수산 비즈니스동력창출
Supported by : 강릉원주대학교 산학협력단