- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Dissimilar Metal Welding Characteristics for Medium Carbon Steel and Stainless Steel Using a Nd:YAG Laser
중탄소강과 스테인리스강의 Nd:YAG 레이저 이종용접에서 용접특성
- Received : 2015.11.05
- Accepted : 2016.01.26
- Published : 2016.02.15
The Nd:YAG laser welding process is one of the most advanced manufacturing technologies owing to its high speed and penetration, and has increased the automation and flexibility of an entire industry. Laser welding of dissimilar metals has been widely used to improve the wear resistance and corrosion resistance of industrial parts. The objective of this research is to investigate the influence of process parameters on the welding of SM45C and STS304 with CW Nd:YAG lasers. Bead-on-plate welding tests were carried out for several combinations of the experimental conditions. In order to quantitatively examine the characteristics of the dissimilar welding, the welding quality of the cut section, strain-stress behavior, and hardness of the welded part were investigated.
Laser welding;Butt welding;Welding speed;STS304;SM45C
- Moon, Y. H., Baek, W. S., 2001, Surface Hardening Technology for Die Materials, Journal of the Korean Society for Heat Treatment, 14:1 42-48.
- Henderson, M. B., Arrell, D., Heobel, M., Larsson, R., Marchant, G., 2004, Nickel-based Superalloy Welding Practices for Industrial Gas Turbine Applications, Science and Technology of Welding and Joining, 9:1 13-21. https://doi.org/10.1179/136217104225017099
- Choi, S. H., Kim, C. S., Jhang, K. Y., Shin, W. S., 2011, Influence of Surface Roughness on Morphology of Aluminum Alloy After Pulsed-laser Irradiation, Trans. of the KSME (A), 35:9 1105-1111.
- Benyounis, K. Y., Olabi, A. G., Hashmi, M. S. J., 2005, Effect of Laser Welding Parameters on the Heat Input and Weld-bead Profile, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 164:165 978-985.
- Benyounis, K. Y., Olabi, A. G., 2005, Optimizing the Laser-welded Butt Joints of Medium Carbon Steel using RSM, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 164:165 986-989.
Olabi, A. G., Casalino, G., Benyounis, K. Y., Hashmi, M. S. J., 2006, An ANN and Taguchi Algorithms Integrated Approach to the Optimization of
$CO_2$Laser Welding, Advances in Engineering Software, 37:10 643-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2006.02.002
- Sun, Z., Kuo, M., Hashmi, M. S. J., 1999, Bridging the Joint Gap with Wire Feed Laser Welding, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 87:1/3 213-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(98)00346-X
- John, F. Ready, 2001, LIA Handbook of Laser Materials Processing, LIA. Magnolia Publishing Inc.
- Khallaf, M. E., Ibrahim, M. A., 1997, On Crack Susceptibility in the Submerged Arc Welding of Medium-carbon Steel Plates, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 68:1 43-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(96)02530-7
- Hosking, F. M., Stephens, J. J., Rejent, J. A., 1997, Intermediate Temperature Joining of Dissimilar Metals, Welding Journal, 77:4 127-136.
- Qian, M., Lippold, J. C., 2003, Liquation Phenomena in the Simulated Heat-affected Zone of Alloy 718 after Multiple Postweld Heat Treatment Cycles, Welding Journal, 82:6 145-150.
- Kusko, C. S., Dupont, J. N., Marder, A. R., 2004, The Influence of Microstructure on Fatigue Crack Propagation Behavior of Stainless Steel Welds, Welding Journal, 83:1 6-15.
- Lee, J. I., 2006, An Weldability Estimation of Laser Welded Specimens, Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, 16:1 60-68.
- Lee, K. R., Yang, Y. S., Hwang, C. Y., Yoo, Y. T., 2012, Characteristics of Surface Hardening of Nd:YAG Laser According to Temperature Changes of SM45C, Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, 16:1 60-68.
- Kim, E. H., Min, T. K., 2000, A study on the Mechanical Properties of STS304-Al6351 Friction Welding Zone, Transactions of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, 21:6 988-997.
- Kim, J. D., Kim, C. J., Chun, C. M., 2001, Repair Welding of Etched Tubular Components of Nuclear Power Plant by Nd:YAG Laser, Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 114:1 51-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(01)00566-0
Supported by : 조선대학교