- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Genotypical Analysis of Korean REMCs and Generation of Base Line Data for the Analysis and Evaluation for Future (REMCs) Designs Using Space Syntax
Ullah, Ubaid;Park, Jae Seung
- 투고 : 2016.01.14
- 심사 : 2016.02.03
- 발행 : 2016.03.15
Purpose: The purpose of this paper is to analyze the spatial configurations of a sample of Korean regional emergency medical centers (REMCs) to explore its underlying genotypes and thus produce a base line data for the analysis and evaluations of future REMCs designs using space syntax theory. Methods: Space syntax analysis was used as a major tool for the analysis and exploration of Genotype. The measures of Integration(overall integration with exterior and without exterior as well as the integration of individual clinical spaces for each center), base difference factor (DF) and Space link ratio were calculated for a sample of seven Korean REMCs. Results: The result shows a strikingly similar pattern of Syntactic measures across the sample, the mean integration of sample ranges from 0.82-0.99 with exterior (while considering the exterior space as a root) and 0.81-1.01 without exterior (considering the connections of interior spaces only with no outside connection). The base difference factor (DF) of the sample varies from 0.60-0.81 with exterior and from 0.59-0.82 without exterior. Case number-1 was identified as non-genotype with differing order of Syntactic values. Although the genotype had different forms, layouts and even sizes, these results cannot be explained by Phenotypical comparisons. Implications: This study will contribute to the configurational analysis and evaluation of existing and future Korean REMCs design and practice of emergency healthcare delivery system in Korea.
Korean Regional Emergency Medical Center (REMC) Design;Genotype;Phenotype;Spatial Configuration;Design Evaluation
- Donald, I. (1988) "Place evaluation", in "Environmental policy assessment and communication", Canter,D.,Krampen,M. &Stea,D. (Eds), Avebury.
- Dursun, P. (2007). Space Syntax in Architectural Design. In: Kubat, A.S., Ertekin, O., Guney, Y.I. and Eyubolou, E. (eds.), Proceeding of the Sixth International Space Syntax Symposium, Istanbul: ITU Faculty of Architecture, p.056.01- 056.12.
- Haq, Saif, 2001, "space syntax", in Complex Architectural Settings : An investigation of spatial and cognitive variables through wayfinding behavior, PhD Dissertation, Gorgia Tech.
- Hillier, Bill, 1996, Space is the Machine: A Configurational Theory of Architecture, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Hillier, Bill, Hanson, Julienne, & Graham, H. 1987, "Ideas are in things-An application of the space syntax method to discovering house genotypes", Environment and Planning B: Planning and design, Volume 14, pp. 363-385. https://doi.org/10.1068/b140363
- Hillier, Bill & Hanson, Julienne, 1984, The social logic of space, Cambridge university press, New York.
- Khan, Nayma, 2013, "CONSTRUCTING GENOTYPE IN HOSPITAL DESIGN: a comparative study of the layout of hospital design in Bangladesh", Kim, Y. O., Park, H. T., & Seo, K. W. (ed.), Proceedings of Ninth International Space Syntax Symposium, Sejong University, Seoul.
- Kobus, Richard L. 2000, Building Type Basics for Healthcare Facilities ,Vol. 1, John Wiley & Sons.
- Lee, J. H., Ostwald, M. J., & Gu, N. (2013). Combining Space Syntax and Shape Grammar to Investigate Architectural Style:considering Glenn Murcutt's domestic design. In: Kim, Y. O., Park, H. T. and Seo, K. W. (eds.), Proceeding of the Ninth International Space Syntax Symposium, Seoul: Sejong University, p.005.01-005.13.
- Manum B.; Rusten E.; Benze P: AGRAPH, Software for Drawing and Calculating Space Syntax "Node-Graphs" and Space Syntax "Axial-Maps", http://www.ntnu.no/ab/spacesyntax/ 2015.06.20.
- Park, Su-Roh, 2013, A Study on the Spatial Configuration of Severe Trauma Center-Focused on Regional Emergency Medical Center, Master Thesis, Department of Design Studies, Hanyang University
- "History EMSS", http://eng.nemc.or.kr/eng/emss/emss_about.jsp, National Emergency Medical Center, 2015.08.05.
- "2015 Statistics on the Aged" Causes of death, http://kostat.go.kr/portal/eng/pressReleases/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=349205, Statistics Korea, 2016.02.26
- Bafna, S. (2003). Space Syntax a Brief Introduction to Its Logic and Analytical Techniques. Environment and Behavior, Vol. 35(1), pp.17-29. doi: 10.1177/0013916502238863, 2015.12.31 https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916502238863
- Blamire, John, 2000, "Genotype and Phenotype Definition." http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/ahp/BioInfo/GP/Definition.html, Department of Biology, Brooklyn College, 2015.08.05.
- "통계연보 이용자 만족도 조사" http://nemc.or.kr/egen/inf.emb13.do? flag=8, National Emergency Medical Center, 2015.08.05.