- Volume 36 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Construction of Preservice Biology Teachers' NOS Pedagogical Content Knowledge within Biology Teaching Context
생물 교수 맥락 내에서 예비 생물교사의 과학의 본성 교수내용학적 지식의 구축
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.24
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study examined the changes of preservice biology teachers' NOS pedagogical content knowledge through two consecutive science methods courses: NOS understandings; attitudes toward teaching science; difficulties of NOS teaching; NOS teaching strategies; and views of orientation of NOS teaching. During the science methods course I, the preservice teachers engaged in discussions and reflections on what science is and how scientific knowledge has produced, drawing NOS aspects from episodes of history of science, and planning the lessons cooperating NOS instructional objectives. Then the next semester, through the science methods course II, the preservice teachers had a chance of the simulated teaching by adopting NOS teaching and learning activities in the context of the secondary biology context. The preservice teachers, further, reflected on their NOS teaching. The results showed that the preservice teachers constructed the NOS pedagogical content knowledge. They significantly improved their views of NOS and its teaching(p<.05) after the science methods course I, and retained their understanding after the science methods course II(p>.05). The preservice teachers mentioned the difficulties of teaching NOS in the secondary biology context, and further suggested effective NOS teaching methods in their reflective journals.
nature of science;preservice teachers;biology;pedagogical content knowledge
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). (1990). Science for all Americans. New York: Oxford University Press.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). (1993). Benchmarks for scientific literacy. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Abd-El-Khalick, F. (2013). Teaching with and about nature of science, and science teacher knowledge domains. Science & Education, 22(9), 2087-2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11191-012-9520-2
- Abd-El-Khalick, F., Bell, R. L., & Lederman, N. G. (1998). The nature of science and instructional practice: Making the unnatural natural. Science Education, 82, 417-436. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-237X(199807)82:4<417::AID-SCE1>3.0.CO;2-E
- Abd-El-Khalick, F., & Lederman, N. G. (2000). Improving science teachers' conceptions of the nature of science: A critical review of theliterature. International Journal of Science Education, 22, 665-701. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690050044044
- Akerson, V. L., Abd-El-Khalick, F., & Lederman, N. G. (2000). Influence of a reflective explicit activity based approach on elementary teachers' conceptions of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 37(4), 295-317. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(200004)37:4<295::AID-TEA2>3.0.CO;2-2
- Bell, R. L., Lederman, N. G., & Abd-El-Khalick, F. (2000). Developing and acting upon one's conception of the nature of science: A follow-up study. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 37, 536-581.
- Brickhouse, N. W. (1989). The teaching of the philosophy of science in secondary classrooms: Case studies of teachers' personal theories. International Journal of Science Education, 11(4), 437-449. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069890110408
- Brush, S. G. (1989). History of science and science education. Interchange, 20(1), 60-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01807048
- Carey, R. L. & Strauss, N. G. (1968). An analysis of the understanding of the nature of science by prospective secondary science teachers. Science Education, 52(4), 358-363. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730520410
- Chen, S. (2006). Development of an instrument to assess views on nature of science and attitudes toward teaching science. Science Education, 90(5), 803. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20147
- Clough, M. P. (2006). Learners' responses to the demands of conceptual change: Considerations for effective nature of science instruction. Science Education, 15, 463-494. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11191-005-4846-7
- DeBore, G. E. (2000). Scientific literacy: Another look at its historical and contemporary meanings and its relationship to science education reform. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 37, 582-601. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200008)37:6<582::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-L
- Driver, R., Leach, J., & Millar, R. (1996). Young people's images of science. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Khishfe, R. & Abd-El-Khalick, F. (2002). Influence of explicit and reflective versus implicit inquiry oriented instruction on sixth graders' views of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 39(7), 551-578. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10036
- Kim, J., Jeon, E., & Paik, S. (2007). The analysis of the nature of science views of science textbook, science teacher and high school students. Journal of The Korean Association for Science Education, 27(9), 809-817.
- Kim, S. Y. (2010). Exploring preservice science teachers' views of the nature of science: Biology vs. non-biology teachers. Journal of The Korean Association for Science Education, 30(2), 206-217.
- Kim, S. Y. (2015). The characteristics of preservice biology teachers' NOS teaching practices in the simulated teaching. Biology Education, 43(3), 228-239. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2015.43.3.228
- Lederman, N. G. (1992). Students' and teachers' conceptions of the nature of science: A review of the research. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 20(4), 331-359.
- Lederman, N. G. (1999). Teachers' understanding of the nature of science and classroom practice: Factors that facilitate or impede the relationship. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(8), 916-929. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199910)36:8<916::AID-TEA2>3.0.CO;2-A
- Matkins, J. J., & Bell, R. L. (2007). Awakening the scientist inside: Global climate change and the nature of science in an elementary science methods course. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 18, 137-163. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10972-006-9033-4
- Matthews, M. R. (1994). Science teaching: The role of history and philosophy of science. New York: Routledge.
- McComas, W. F. (1998). The principal elements of the nature of science: Dispelling the myths. In W. F. McComas(Ed.), The nature of science in science education (pp. 53-70). Norwell, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- McComas, W. F. Clough, M. P., & Almazroa, H. (1998). The role and character of nature of science in science education. Science & Education, 7(6), 511-532. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008642510402
- National Research Council (1996). National science education standards. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.
- Ryder, J., Leach, J., & Driver, R. (1999). Undergraduate science students' images of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(2), 201-220. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199902)36:2<201::AID-TEA6>3.0.CO;2-H
- Sandoval, W. A. (2005). Understanding students' practical epistemologies and their influence on leaning through inquiry. Science Education, 89, 634-656. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20065
- Schwartz, R. S., & Lederman, N. G. (2002). "It's the nature of the beast": The influence of knowledge and intentions on learning and teaching nature of science. Journal of Research in science teaching, 39(3), 205-236. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.10021
- Simmons, P. E., Emory, A., Carter, T., Coker, T., Finnegan, B., Crockett, D., Richardson, L., Yager, R., Craven, J., & Tillotson, J. (1999). Beginning teachers: beliefs and classroom actions. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 36(8), 930-954. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199910)36:8<930::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-N
- Strauss, A., & Corbin, J. (1990). Basic of qualitative research. Basic of qualitative research. New Deli: Sage Publications.
- Van Driel, J. H., Verloop, N., & de Vos, W. (1998). Developing science teachers' pedagogical content knowledge. Journal of research in Science Teaching, 35(6), 673-695. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199808)35:6<673::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-J
- Vesterinen, V., & Aksela, M. (2012). Design of chemistry teacher education course on nature of science. Science & Education, Published online 2012.
Supported by : 한국연구재단