- Volume 36 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the Characters' Role Presenting Elementary School Science Textbook: Targeting the 2009 Revised Science 4th-Grade Textbook
초등학교 과학 교과서에 제시된 캐릭터 삽화의 역할 분석: 2009개정 과학과 4학년 교과서를 대상으로
- Received : 2016.01.25
- Accepted : 2016.02.26
- Published : 2016.02.29
This study aims to find out the meaning of characters used in science textbooks by analyzing the roles of the characters on the 2009 revised science textbooks and the extracted sentences and see if there are indications referable to compiling future science textbooks by finding out where the characters are efficiently used and where supplement is needed. Target textbooks among those developed for the 2009 revised elementary school science textbooks are the first and second semester of the 4th-grade. Methods used include analysis on the roles of character-containing questions using character role analysis whose illustration analysis frame is more supplemented/adjusted than those used in the foregoing studies, analysis on character-containing questions using the existing analysis frame, analysis/survey on good cases and cases needing supplement through consultation with a science education expert, two teachers, etc. The result shows that among types of character roles, motivation and material provision are more used than experiment guide, experiment, and observation results. Result of analyzing in-textbook characters by field shows that life sphere is more used than free exploration, energy, material, and earth. Result of analyzing question types shows the order of expanding, anticipatory, transferable and personal questions and there were no reminiscent and evaluative questions. Based on the result of this study, indications on how to use in-science textbook characters more efficiently and developmentally are needed.
characters' role;science textbook;elementary school
- Abruscato, J. (1988). Teaching children science. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice-Hall Inc.
- Ainsworth, S. (1999). The functions of multiple representations. Computers & Education, 33(2), 131-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-1315(99)00029-9
- Ametller, J. & Pinto, R. (2002). Students' reading of innovative images of energy at secondary school level. International Journal of Science Education, 24(3), 285-312. https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690110078914
- Armbruster, B. B. (1993). Reading to learn. The Reading Teacher, 46(4), 346-357.
- Ball, D. L. & Feiman-Nemser, S. (1998). Using textbooks and teacher's guides: A dilemma for beginning teacher and teacher educators. Curriculum Inquiry, 18, 401-423.
- Bang, H. K. & Park, J. K. (2012). Analysis of Inscriptions Used in Life Science Domain of Elementary Science Textbooks. Biology Education, 40(3), 279-289. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2012.40.3.279
- Blosser, P. E. (1987). Handbook of effective questioning techniques (Song, Y., Trans). Seoul: Baeyoungsa. (Original work published 1973).
- BSCS Scinece T.R.A.C.S. (2002). Investigating Human Systems 5. Colorado: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company.
- Cha, J. H., Kim, S. Y. & Noh, T. H. (2004). An Analysis of Illustrations from Secondary Science Textbooks Developed under the 7th National Curriculum in Aspect of Gender-Role Stereotyping. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 24(6), 1181-1188.
- Chang, D. H. (2010). Method of instruction and the class for character in elementary art. The Journal of Korean Elementary Art Education Association, 27, 159-183.
- Cho, H. H. & Choi, K. H. (2005). The theory and practice of science education. Seoul: Kyoyookbook.
- Choi, B. S. (1993). The structure and system of the new science textbook. The Korean Association for Science Education Winter Seminar book. 24-33.
- Choi, M. S. & Kim, Y. G. (2012). The Comparative Analysis of Questions in the Matter Units of Elementary Science Textbooks between the 7th Curriculum and the Revised Curriculum Year 2007. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(3), 347-357.
- Choi, Y. M. & Lee, H. C. (2012). The Analysis on Patterns of Questions in Elementary School Science Textbooks under the 2007 Revised Curriculum. Journal of Science Education, 36(1), 120-129. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2012.36.1.120
- Choi, Y. R. & Lee, H. C. (1998), The illustration analysis of the elementary science textbooks. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 17(2), 45-53.
- Chung, J. I., Han, J. Y., Kim, Y. J., Paik, S. H. & Song, Y. W. (2007). Classification and analysis of accompanying inscriptions used in elementary science textbooks. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(5), 525-534.
- Colbert, J. T., Olson, J. K. & Clough, M. P. (2007). Using the web to encourage student-generated questions in large-format introductory biology classes. CBE-Life Sciences Education, 6(1), 42-48. https://doi.org/10.1187/cbe.06-07-0171
- Han, J. & Roth, W. M. (2006). Chemical inscriptions in Korean textbooks: Semiotics of macro- and microworld. Science Education, 90(2), 173-201. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20091
- Harms, N. C. & Yager, R. E. (1981). What research says to the science teacher Vol 3. Washington, DC: NSTA.
- Hoang, Y. J. & Geong, M. Y. (2009). The Needs of Character Education According to A New Visual Culture Environment. Journal of Art Education, 25, 187-212.
- Jang. K. B. & Shin, D. H. (2013). An Analysis of Eye Movement and Understanding of Elementary School students According to the Types of Science Textbook Illustration. The Journal of Korea Elementary Education, 24(4), 147-166. https://doi.org/10.20972/kjee.24.4.201312.147
- Jeong, W. H. (1993). Directions for organization of new science textbooks. The Korean Association for Science Education Winter Seminar book. 52-72.
- Jung, J. S. (2007). A critical review on the policy of textbook in Korea. Youth Culture publishes Forum, 16, 202-231.
- Kang, H. S., Yoon, J. H. & Lee, D. H. (2008). Analysis on the Uses of the External Representations in the 3-6th Grade Science Textbooks Developed Under the 7th National Curriculum. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 27(2), 158-169.
- Kim, D. H. (2007). A Study on the Adequacy of the 'Inquiry Activities' in Highschool 'Law and Society' Textbook. Journal of Research in Curriculum Instruction, 11(1), 341-364. https://doi.org/10.24231/rici.2007.11.1.341
- Kim, H. G., Shin, M. K., Lee, G. H. & Kwon. G. P. (2014). The Types, Roles and Socio-semiotic Features of Visual Materials in Elementary Science Textbooks. Journal of Science Education, 38(3), 641-656. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2014.38.3.641
- Latour, B. (1987) Science in action: How to follow scientists and engineers through society. Open University Press, Milton Keynes, UK, 271.
- Lee, C. H. & Kwon. C. S. (2013). Comparison of Illustrations of Elementary Science Textbooks in Korea and Singapore. Journal of the Korean Society of Earth Science Education, 6(1), 13-19.
- Lee, J. A. (2011). The Linguistic Analysis of Visual Images in Elementary Science Textbooks by 2007 Curriculum Revision: Focused on the Changes of the Weather. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 30(4), 482-489.
- Lee, Y. D., Park, M. T., Kwak, B. S., Kwon, C. S., Kim, H. W., Lee, H. Y., Kim, H. M. & Nam. M. Y. (1982). Research on improvement of textbook organization. Korean Educational Development Institute Research paper, 13-30, 99-129, 157-161.
- Lee, Y. H. (2012). A Review of Elementary Science Textbook Analysis Research Conducted over the Past Three Decades in the United States and Analysis of the Nature of Science in the Introductory Chapter of U.S. Elementary Science Textbooks. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 31(3), 398-412.
- Lim, C. S., Yoon, H. G., Jang, M. D., Lim, H. J., Shin, D. H., Kim, M. J., Park, H, W., Lee, I. S., Kwon, C. S., Lee, D. H. & Kim, N. I, (2007). Developing an Innovative Framework of Grade 3-4 Science Textbooks. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(5), 580-595.
- Lloyd, C. V. (1990). The elaboration of concepts in three biology textbooks: Facilitating student learning. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27, 1019-1032. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660271009
- Noh, M. W., Jung, H. S. & Yoon, J. C. (2004). A Study on the concept of textbook and it's internal system for effective teaching-learning in schools. Seoul: Korea Textbook Research Foundation.
- Noh, T. H., Cha, J. H. & Wang, H. N. (2004). An Analysis for Gender-Role Stereotyping of Illustrations in Elementary Science Textbooks Based on the 7th Curriculum. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 23(1), 85-91.
- Park, J. H. & Kwon, H. S. (2007). Analysis of questions in the 'Matter' units of elementary science textbooks under the 7th curriculum. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(5), 551-557.
- Pozzer-Ardenghi, L. & Roth, W. M. (2005). Making sense of photographs. Science Education, 89(2), 219-241. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.20045
- Sahin, A. E. (2007). Teacher's classroom questions. School Science and Mathematics, 107(1), 369-370. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1949-8594.2007.tb17759.x
- Shin, D. H. & Choi, H. D. (2013). Differences in Eye Movement between Elementary School Teachers and Students during Understanding Textbook Illustrations. Biology Education, 41(2), 198-210. https://doi.org/10.15717/bioedu.2013.41.2.198
- Shin, M. K. & Song, T. H. (2013). Comparisons of Students's Associations with and Learning Objectives Statements on Illustrations of Science Textbooks Before and After the Lessons -Focusing on the Earth and Space Units of the 5th Grade in 2007 Science Curriculum-. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 32(4), 545-556.
- Tyson, H. (1997). Overcoming structural barriers to good textbooks. Washington, DC: National Education Goals Panel.
- Valverde, G. A., Bianchi, L. J., Wolfe, R. G., Schmidt, W. H. & Houang, R. T. (2002). According to the book: Using TIMSS to investigation the translation of policy into practice through the world of textbooks. Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Wang, H. A. (1998). Science textbook studies reanalysis: Teachers "Friendly" content analysis methods. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Association for Research in Science Teaching (71st, San Diego, CA, April 19-22, 1998).
- Weiss, I. R., Pasley, J. D., Smith, P. S., Banilower, E. R. & Heck, D. J. (2003). Looking inside the classroom: A study of K-12 mathematics and science education in the United States. Chapel Hill, NC: Horizon Research, Inc.
- Woo, J. O., Chung, W. H., Kwon, J. S., Choi, B. S., Chung, J. W. & Hur, M. (1992). The analysis of development system and evaluation of elementary science textbooks. Journal of Korean Association for Science Education, 12(2), 109-128.
- Woodward, A. & Elliott, D. L. (1990). Textbooks: Consensus and controversy. In textbooks and schooling in the United States: Eight-ninth Yearbook of the National Society for the Study of Education, Part 1. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Yeo, S., Park, C. & Lim, H. (2007). A comparison study on illustrations of elementary science textbooks in Korea and U.S.A. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 26(4), 459-467.