- Volume 50 Issue 1
This study investigated users' information seeking behaviors associated with their perceptions of uncertainty. For this study, the data was collected from an user group, who conducted information searches in the field of history, using the KERIS Edunet system and it was analyzed through the comparative analysis of the grounded theory. The results presented users' uncertainty in the following stages: the identification of information needs, the selection of an information system, the selection of search terms, the actual use of the system, and the evaluation of search results. Major implications pertain to the enhancement of the Edunet system and related services. The former includes the improvement of the retrieval mechanisms related to the search and display interfaces. The latter emphasizes the consideration of the origin of uncertainty in the process of the services. In other words, the study suggested to consider the inadequacy of the system functions, the insufficiency of search experiences and the lack of such abilities of particular users.
Uncertainty;Edunet System;Information Seeking Behavior;Information Search Behavior;User Study
- 김갑선. 2006. 임신부의 정보추구 경험: 정보추구의 구조와 과정. 한국문헌정보학회지, 40(1): 13-37.(Kim, Kapseon. 2006. "Pregnant Women's Information Seeking Experience: Structure andProcess of the Information Seeking." Journal of the Korean Society for Library and InformationScience, 40(1): 15-37.)
- 김윤옥 외. 2009. 질적연구실천방법. 파주: 교육과학사.(Kim, Yoon-ok et al. 2009. Qualitative Inquiry. Paju: Education & Science.)
- 김하나. 2010. 초등학교 교사의 에듀넷 활용에 관한 실태 및 개선방안 연구. 석사학위논문, 부산교육대학교 교육대학원 초등교육학과.(Kim, Ha Na. 2010. A Study on the Actual State and Improvement Plans of Edunet Utilizationby Elementary School Teachers. M.A. thesis, Major in Elementary Computer Education,Graduate School of Education, Busan National University of Education, Korea.)
- 박현주. 2010. 정보행위 분석을 통한 정보서비스 개선에 관한 연구. 한국비블리아학회지, 21(1): 89-103.(Park, Hyun-Joo. 2010. "A Study on the Improvement of Information Services Based uponthe Analysis of Information Behaviors." Journal of the Korean Biblia Society for Library andInformation Science, 21(1): 89-103.)
- 설문원, 차미경. 1999. 문헌정보학에 있어서 질적 연구의 의의와 과제. 이화여대 문헌정보학과 창립 40주년 기념논문집, 서울: 이화여자대학교: 65-92.(Shul, Moon-Won and Cha, Mikyeong. 1999. "Meaning and Assignment of Qualitative Studiesin the Field of Library and Information Science." In Proceedings of a Special Collection ofResearch Papers in the Commemoration of the Forty Year Anniversary of the Departmentof Library and Information Science of Ewha Womans University, Seoul: Ewha WomansUniversity: 65-92.)
- 조성남 외. 2011. 질적연구방법과 실제. 서울: 그린.(Cho, Sung-Nam et al. 2011. Qualitative Research Design & Practice. Seoul: Green Publications.)
- 좋은교사운동, 유은혜. 2012. 스마트교육, 이대로 괜찮은가?: 교수학습 교육정보화 사업의 허와실, 2012년 8월 16일, 서울: 국회의원회관.(Good Teachers' Movement and Yoo, Eun Hye. 2010. "The Computerization of the Educationof Teaching and Learning." August 16, 2012, Seoul: The National Assembly Members' OfficeBuilding.)
- Artandi, S. 1973. "Information Concepts and Their Utility." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 24(4): 242-245. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.4630240403
- Attfield, S. et al. 2008. "Uncertainty-Tolerant Design: Evaluating Task Performance and Drag-and-link Information Gathering for a News-writing Task." International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 66(6): 410-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2007.12.001
- Bates, M. J. 1986. "Subject Access to Online Catalogs: A Design Model." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 37(6): 357-376. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(198611)37:6<357::AID-ASI1>3.0.CO;2-H
- Belkin, N. J. 1980. "Anomalous States of Knowledge as a Basis for Information Retrieval." Canadian Journal of Information Science, 5: 133-143.
- Borst, T. 2012. "Usage and Impact of Controlled Vocabularies in a Subject Repository for Indexing and Retrieval." Liber Quarterly, 21(3/4): 445-453. https://doi.org/10.18352/lq.8035
- Brashers, D. E. and Hogan, T. P. 2013. "The Appraisal and Management of Uncertainty: Implications for Information-Retrieval System." Information Processing and Management, 49(6): 1241-1249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2013.06.002
- Chowdhury, S. and Gibb, F. 2009. "Relationship among Activities and Problems Causing Uncertainty in Information Seeking and Retrieval." Journal of Documentation, 65(3): 470-499. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410910952438
- Chowdhury, S., Gibb, F. and Landoni, M. 2011. "Uncertainty in Information Seeking and Retrieval: A Study in an Academic Environment." Information Processing & Management, 47(2): 157-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2010.09.006
- Chowdhury, S. and Gibb, F. 2013. "A Model of Uncertainty and its Relation to Information Seeking and Retrieval (IS&R)." Journal of Documentation, 70(4): 575-604.
- Dervin, B. 1983. An Overview of Sense Making Research: Concepts, Methods, and Results to Date. Seattle, WA: School of Communication, University of Washington.
- Feagin, J. R., Orum, A. M. and Sjoberg, G. 1991. A Case for the Case Study. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Flick, U. 1998. An Introduction to Qualitative Research. London: SAGE Publications.
- Ford, N. 2004. "Towards a Model of Learning for Educational Informatics." Journal of Documentation, 60(2): 183-225. https://doi.org/10.1108/00220410410522052
- Fourie, I. 2009. "Learning from Research on the Information Behaviour of Healthcare Professionals: A Review of the Literature 2004-2008 with a Focus on Emotion." Health Information & Libraries Journal, 26(3): 171-186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-1842.2009.00860.x
- Gerhan, D. R. 1999. "When Quantitative Analysis Lies behind a Reference Question." Reference & User Services Quarterly, 39(2): 166-176.
- Goetz, J. P. and LeCompte, M. D. 1984. Ethnography and Qualitative Design in Educational Research. London: Academic Press, Inc.
- Ingwersen, P. 1982. "Search Procedures in the Library-Analyzed from the Cognitive Point of View." Journal of Documentation, 38(3): 165-191. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb026727
- Ingwersen, P. 1992. Information Retrieval Interaction. London: Taylor Graham Publishing.
- Ingwersen, P. 1996. "Cognitive Perspectives of Information Retrieval Interaction: Elements of a Cognitive IR Theory." Journal of Documentation, 52(1): 3-50. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb026960
- Krathwohl, D. R. 1998. Methods of Educational & Social Science Research. 2nd ed. New York: Longman.
- Kuhlthau, C. C. 1993a. "A Principle of Uncertainty for Information Seeking." Journal of Documentation, 49(4): 339-355. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb026918
- Kuhlthau, C. C. 1993b. Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services. Norwood, NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.
- Kuhlthau, C. C. 1999. "Accommodating the User's Information Search Process: Challenges for Information Retrieval System Designers." Bulletin of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 25(3): 12-16.
- Kuhlthau, C. C. 2004. Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services. 2nd ed. London: Libraries Unlimited.
- Lincoln, Y. S. and Guba, E. G. 1985. Naturalistic Inquiry. Newbury Park: SAGE publications.
- McKibbon, K. A. et al. 2007. "How Primary Care Physicians' Attitudes toward Risk and Uncertainty affect their Use of Electronic Information Resources." Journal of the Medical Library Association, 95(2): 138-146. https://doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.95.2.138
- Michell, G. and Dewdney, P. 1998. "Mental Models Theory: Applications for Library and Information Science." Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, 39: 275-281. https://doi.org/10.2307/40324303
- Mignery, J. T., Rubin, R. B. and Gorden, W. I. 1995. "Organizational Entry: An Investigation of Newcomer Communication Behavior and Uncertainty." Communication Research, 22(1): 54-85. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365095022001003
- Miles, M. B. and Huberman, A. M. 1994. Qualitative Data Analysis: A Sourcebook of New Methods. Newbury Park: SAGE publications.
- Rodriguez, L. 2000. "Uncertain Relevance Judgments: A Quantitative and Qualitative Study." In Proceedings of the Great Lakes Conference, October 28, 2000.
- Shannon, C. E. and Weaver, W. 1949. The Mathematical Theory of Communication. Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Sias, P. M. and Wyers, T. D. 2001. "Employee Uncertainnty and Information-seeking in Newly Formed Expansion Organization." Management Communication Quarterly, 14(4): 549-573. https://doi.org/10.1177/0893318901144001
- Spender, J. C. 2003. "Exploring Uncertainty and Emotion in the Knowledge-based Theory of the Firm." Information Technology & People, 16(3): 266-288. https://doi.org/10.1108/09593840310489386
- Spink, A. 1997. "Partial Relevance Judgments during Interactive Information Retrieval: An Exploratory Study." In Proceedings of the 60th ASIS Annual Meeting, January, 1997, 111-122.
- Spink, A. and Greisdorf, H. 1997. "Users' Partial Relevance Judgments during Online Searching." Online and CD-ROM Review, 21: 271-279. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb024631
- Spink, A., Greisdorf, H. and Bateman, J. 1998. "From Highly Relevant to Not Relevant: Examining Different Regions of Relevance." Information Processing and Management, 34: 599-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4573(98)00025-9
- Stake, R. E. 1994. Case Studies. N. K. Denzin and Y. S. Lincoln (Eds.), Handbook of Qualitative Research. Newbury Park: SAGE publications.
- Stevens, N. D. 1988. "The Importance of the Verb in the Reference Questions." The Reference Librarian, 22: 241-244.
- Strauss, A. and Corbin, J. 1990. Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques. Newbury Park, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Strauss, A. and Corbin, J. 1998. Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedure for Developing Grounded Theory. 2nd ed. Newbury Park, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Taylor, R. S. 1968. "Questions-negotiation and Information Seeking in Libraries." College and Research Libraries, 29: 178-194. https://doi.org/10.5860/crl_29_03_178
- van Rijsbergen, C. J. 1996. "Information, Logic, and Uncertainty in Information Science." In Proceedings of CoLIS2 - Second International Conference on Conceptions of Library and Information Science: Integration in Perspective: Copenhagen: The Royal School of Librarianship.
- White, R. W. and Roth, R. A. 2009. "Exploratory Search: Beyond the Query-response Paradigm, Synthesis Lectures on Information Concepts." Retrieval and Services, 7(1): 1-98.
- Whittemore, B. and Yovits, M. C. 1973. "A Generalized Conceptual Development for the Analysis and Flow of Information." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 24: 221-231. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.4630240308
- Wilson, C. S. and D'Ambra, J. 2004. "Use of the World Wide Web for the International Travel: Intergrating the Construct of Uncertainty in Information Seeking and the Task- Technology Fit (TTF) Model." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 55(8): 731-742. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20017
Wilson, T. D., Ellis, D. and Ford, N. 2000. Uncertainty in Information Seeking: A Research Project in the Department of Information Studies. Sheffield: University of Sheffield. [online] [cited 2015. 8. 7.]
Wilson, T. D. et al. 1999. Uncertainty in Information Seeking. Final Report to the British Library Research and Innovation Centre/Library and Information Commission on a Research Project carried out at the Department of Information Studies, University of Sheffield. [online] [cited 2015. 8. 7.]
- Wilson et al. 2002. "Information Seeking and Mediated Searching. Part 2. Uncertainty and its Correlates." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 53(9): 704-715. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10082
- Simons, H. ed. 1980. Toward a Science of the Singular. Norwich: University of East Anglia, Center for Applied Research in Education.
Supported by : 한성대학교