- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Thickness of Concrete Structures using the Impact Echo Method and Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Method
- Hong, Seonguk (Department of Architecture Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Lee, Yongtaeg (Department of Architecture Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Kim, Seunghun (Department of Architecture Engineering, Hanbat National University) ;
- Lee, Changsik (Department of Architecture Engineering, Hanbat National University)
- Received : 2016.10.28
- Accepted : 2016.12.14
- Published : 2016.12.30
The structure must be periodically checked and measures must be taken to prevent deterioration in building construction. From this point of view, a nondestructive test is essential to estimate whether the construction of buildings is proper, and whether the dimension of depositing concrete is consistent and without damage. This study estimated the thickness of the concrete component of construction framework using the ultrasonic velocity method and the impact echo method, in order to investigate reliability of the estimation of the thickness of normal strength concrete and high strength concrete, leading to the following conclusions. In the estimation of the thickness of the concrete structures, specimens of normal strength of 24MPa and specimens of high strength of 40MPa demonstrated an average error rate of 5.1% and 2.2%, respectively. The impact-echo method, one of the non-destructive tests, is verified as an efficient diagnostic technique. With this information, we will determine specific standards for the maintenance of structures, and the re-creation of lost building blueprints.
Estimation;Thickness;Concrete Structures;Impact -Echo Method;Ultrasonic Pulse Velocity Method;Nondestructive Tests
Supported by : Hanbat National University, National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- Korea Institute For Structural Maintenance Inspection (2006) Nondestructive tests & Measurement Engineering Structures.
- J. Alexandre Bogas, M. Gloria Gomes and Augusto Gomes.(2013) Compressive strength evaluation of structural lightweight concrete by non-destructive ultrasonic pulse velocity method. Ultrasonics, 53, pp 962-972 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultras.2012.12.012
- D. Breysse. (2012). Nondestructive evaluation of concrete strength: An historical review and a new perspective by combining NDT methods. Construction and Building Materials, 33, pp139-163
- W. L. Lai, Y. H. Wang, S. C. Kou and C. S. Poon. (2013) Dispersion of ultrasonic guided surface wave by honeycomb in early-aged concrete. NDT&E International, 57, pp7-16 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ndteint.2013.03.001
- M. Sansalone and Carino. N. J. (1998) Impact-Echo Method: Detection Honeycombing, the depth of surface-opening Cracks, and Ungrouted Ducks. Concrete International: Design & Construction, 10, 4, pp38-46
- Y. Lin, M. Sansalone and N.J. Carino. (1992) Impact-Echo Response of Concrete Shaft. Geotechnical Testing J, 14, 2, pp121-137
- S.W. Han. (2012) A study on the estimation of compressive strength of high-strength concrete with recycled aggregate using NDT and numerical analysis. Master's Thesis, Hanyang University.
- M. O. Kang, H. S. Jang and Y. S. Cho. (2013) A study of Crack Detection of Concrete using the Impact Echo(IE) Techniques. Proceeding of Annual Conference of the Architectural Institute of Korea, 33, (01), pp369-370.
- S. U. Hong, J. H. Park and Y. T. Lee.(2013) Prediction of Compressive Strength of High Strength Concrete Structure using Ultrasonic Velocity Method. Proceeding of Annual Conference of the Concrete Institute of Korea, 25 (02), pp793-794.
- A. G. Davis, F. Ansari, RD Gaynor and KM Lozen.(1998) Nondestructive Test Methods for Evaluation of Concrete in Structures. Reported by ACI Committee 228, 2R-98.
- Y. Lin and M. Sansalone.(1992) Detecting Flaw in Concrete Beam and Columns Using the Impact-Echo Method. ACI Materials Journal, 89, 4, pp394-405.
- M. Sansalone and W.B. Streett.(1997) Impact-echo: nondestructive evaluation of concrete and masonry. New York, Bullbrier Press.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards.(2008) Testing method for velocity of ultrasonic pulses to conclude compressive strength of concrete. KS F 2731.
- ASTM International: 'Standard Specification for Admixtures for Masonry Mortars', ASTM C 1384, 2012.
- S. U. Hong and Y. S. Cho.(2006) A Study on the Damage Detection of Concrete Structures using Impact Echo Method based on Stress Waves. Journal of the architectural institute of Korea, 22 (11), pp11-18