- Volume 10 Issue 3
Frictional forces between soil and structural elements are of vital importance for the foundation engineering. Although numerous studies were performed about the soil-structure interaction in recent years, the approximate relations proposed in the first half of the 20th century are still used to determine the frictional forces. Throughout history, wood was often used as friction piles. Steel has started to be used in the last century. Today, alternatively these materials, FRP (fiber-reinforced polymer) piles are used extensively due to they can serve for long years under harsh environmental conditions. In this study, various ratios of low plasticity clays (CL) were added to the sand soil and compacted to standard Proctor density. Thus, soils with various internal friction angles (
skin friction;pile materials;design chart;direct shear test;interface shear test;surface roughness
- ASTM D3080/D3080M-11 (2011), Standard test method for direct shear test of soils under consolidated drained conditions, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D422-63(2007)e2 (2007), Standard test method for particle-size analysis of soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D4318-10e1 (2010), Standard test methods for liquid limit, plastic limit, and plasticity index of soils, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D5321/D5321M-14 (2014), Standard test method for determining the shear strength of soilgeosynthetic and geosynthetic-geosynthetic interfaces by direct shear, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D698-12e1 (2012), Standard test methods for laboratory compaction characteristics of soil using standard effort (12 400 ft-lbf/ft3 (600 kN-m/m3)), ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- ASTM D854-14 (2014), Standard test methods for specific gravity of soil solids by water pycnometer, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, USA.
- Bayoglu, E. (1995), "Shear strength and compressibility behavior of sand-clay mixtures", M.Sc. Thesis; Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Dafalla, M.A. (2013), "Effects of clay and moisture content on direct shear tests for clay-sand mixtures", Adv. Mater. Sci. Eng., 2013, Article ID 562726, 1-8.
- Frost, J. and Han, J. (1999), "Behavior of interfaces between fiber-reinforced polymers and sands", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 125(8), 633-640. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(1999)125:8(633)
- Hammoud, F. and Boumekik, A. (2006), "Experimental study of the behavior of interface shearing between cohesive soils and solid materials at large displacement", Asian J. Civil Eng. (Building and Housing), 7(1), 63-80.
- Hannigan, P.J., Goble, G.G., Thendeau, G., Likins, G.E. and Rausche, F. (1996), "Design and construction of driven piles", Rep. No. FHWA-H1-96-033; 1, Washington, D.C., USA, 822 p.
- Gireesha, N.T. and Muthukkumaran, K. (2011), "Study on soil structure interface strength property", Int. J. Earth Sci. Eng., 4(6), 89-93.
- Izgin, M. and Wasti, Y. (1998), "Geomembrane-sand interface frictional properties as determined by inclined board and shear box tests", Geotext. Geomembr., 16(3), 207-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-1144(98)00010-7
- Khan, E.K., Ahmad, I., Ullah, A., Ahmad, W. and Ahmad, B. (2014), "Small and large scale direct shear tests on sand-concrete interface", Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering, Management and Sciences, Peshawar, Pakistan, December, pp. 28-30.
- Laskar, A.H. and Dey, A.K. (2011), "A study on deformation of the interface between sand and steel plate under shearing", Proceeding of Indian Geotechnical Conference, Kochi, India, December, pp. 895-898.
- Lavanya, I., Prabha, R. and Murugan, M. (2014), "Behaviour of interfaces between carbon fibre reinforced polymer and gravel soils", Int. J. Res. Eng. Technol., 3(11), 156-159.
- Liu, N., Ho, H. and Huang, W. (2009), "Large scale direct shear test of soil/PET-yarn geo-grid interfaces", Geotext. Geomembr., 27(1), 19-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2008.03.002
- Nordlund, R.L. (1963), "Bearing capacity of piles in cohesionless soils", J. Soil Mech. Found Div., ASCE, 89(3), 1-35.
- O'Rourke, T., Druschel, S. and Netravali, A. (1990), "Shear strength characteristics of sand-polymer interfaces", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 116(3), 451-469. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9410(1990)116:3(451)
- Palmeira, E.M. (2009), "Soil-geosynthetic interaction: modelling and analysis", Geotext. Geomembr., 27(5), 368-390. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geotexmem.2009.03.003
- Pando, M., Filz, G., Dove, J. and Hoppe, E. (2002), "Interface shear tests on frp composite piles", Deep Found., pp. 1486-1500.
- Potyondy, J.G. (1961), "Skin friction between various soils and construction materials", Geotechnique, 11(4), 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.1918.104.22.1689
- Rinne, N.F. (1989), "Evaluation of interface friction between cohesionless soil and common construction materials", M. Sc. Thesis; University of British Columbia, BC, Canada.
- Sakr, M., El Naggar, M. and Nehdi, M. (2005), "Interface characteristics and laboratory constructability tests of novel fiber-reinforced polymer/concrete piles," J. Compos. Constr., 9(3), 274-283. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0268(2005)9:3(274)
- Terzaghi, K. and Peck, R.B. (1948), Soil Mechanics in Engineering Practice, John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY, USA.
- Tiwari, B. and Al-Adhadh, A.R. (2014), "Influence of relative density on static soil-structure frictional resistance of dry and saturated sand", Geotech. Geol. Eng., 32(2), 411-427. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10706-013-9723-6
- Tiwari, B., Ajmera, B. and Kaya, G. (2010), "Shear strength reduction at soil structure interface", GeoFlorida 2010, pp. 1747-1756.
- Uesugi, M. and Kishida, H. (1986), "Influential factors of friction between steel and dry sands", Soil. Found., 26(2), 33-46. https://doi.org/10.3208/sandf1972.26.2_33