- Volume 4 Issue 1
A well designed hybrid power system (HPS) can deliver electrical energy in a cost effective way. In this paper, model for HPS consisting of photo voltaic (PV) module and wind mill as renewable energy sources (RES) and solar lead acid battery as storage device connected to unidirectional grid is developed for peak demand reduction. Life time energy cost of the system is evaluated. One year hourly site condition and load pattern are taken into account for analysing the HPS. The optimal HPS is determined for least life time energy cost subject to the constraints like state of charge of the battery bank, dump load, renewable energy (RE) generation etc. Optimal solutions are also found out individually for PV module and wind mill. These three systems are compared to find out the most feasible combination. The results show that the HPS can deliver energy in an acceptable cost with reduced peak consumption from the grid. The proposed optimization algorithm is suitable for determining optimal HPS for desired location and load with least energy cost.
renewable energy;renewable energy sources;hybrid power system;peak load management;distributed renewable energy generation
- Abd El-Shafy Nafeh, A. (2011), "Optimal economical sizing of a PV-wind hybrid energy system using genetic algorithm", Int. J. Green energy, 8(1), 25-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2010.529407
- Ataei, A., Rashidi, R., Nedaei, M. and Kurdestani, E. (2015), "Techno-economic viability of a hybrid wind and solar power system for electrification of a commercial building in Shiraz, Iran", Adv. Energy Res., 3(4), 251-263.
- Aitor, M., Haizea, G., Etxeberria-Otadui, I., Seddik, B. and Pedro, R. (2010) "Optimal economic exploitation of hydrogen based grid-friendly zero energy buildings", Renew. Energy, 36, 197-205.
- Al-Badi, A.H., AL-Toobi, M., AL-Harthy, S., AL-Hosni, Z. and AL-Harthy, A. (2012), "Hybrid systems for decentralized power generation in Oman", Int. J. Sustain. Energy, 31(6), 411-421. https://doi.org/10.1080/14786451.2011.590898
- Anwar, H. and Ibrahim, D. (2014), "Development of power system designs for a net zero energy house", Energy Build., 73, 120-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.01.027
- Arabali, A., Ghofrani, M., Etezadi-Amoli, M. Fadali, M. S. and Baghzouz, Y. (2013), "Genetic-algorithmbased optimization approach for energy management", IEEE Tran. Power Deliv., 28(1), 162-170. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2219598
- Babu, C.A. and Ashok, S. (2009), "Optimal utilization of renewable energy-based IPPs for industrial load management", Renew. Energy, 34, 2455-2460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.02.032
- Balamurugan, P., Ashok, S. and Jose, T.L. (2009), "Optimal operation of biomass/wind/PV hybrid energy system for rural areas", Int. J. Green Energy, 6(1), 104-116. https://doi.org/10.1080/15435070802701892
- Kazema, H.A., Khatib, T., Sopian, K. and Elmenreich, W. (2014), "Performance and feasibility assessment of a 1.4 kW roof top grid-connected photovoltaic power system under desertic weather conditions", Energy Build., 82, 123-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.06.048
- Kaldellis, J.K., Zafirakis, D. and Kavadias, K. (2012), "Minimum cost solution of wind-photovoltaic based stand-alone power systems for remote consumers", Energy Policy, 42, 105-117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2011.11.054
- Khatib, T., Mohamed, A. and Sopian, K. (2012), "Optimization of a PV/wind micro-grid for rural housing electrification using a hybrid iterative/genetic algorithm: case study of Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia", Energy Build., 47, 312-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.12.007
- Khatib, T., Mohamed, A., Sopian, K. and Mahmoud, M. (2011), "Optimal sizing of building integrated hybrid PV/ diesel generator system for zero load rejection for Malaysia", Energy Build., 43, 3430-3435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2011.09.008
- Kumaravel, S. and Ashok, S. (2012), "An optimal stand-alone biomass/solar-PV/picro-hydel hybrid energy system for remote rural area electrification of isolated village in western-ghats region of India", Int. J. Green Energy, 9(5), 398-408. https://doi.org/10.1080/15435075.2011.621487
- Li, D.H.W., Chow, S.K.H. and Lee, E.W.M. (2013), "An analysis of a medium size grid-connected building integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) system using measured data", Energy Build., 60, 383-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.02.007
- Nedim, T. (2014), "Minimization of operational cost for an off-grid renewable hybrid system to generate electricity in residential buildings through the SVM and the BCGA methods", Energy Build., 76, 470-475. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.03.003
- Nitin, A., Anoop, K. and Varun (2013), "Optimization of grid independent hybrid PV-diesel-battery system for power generation in remote villages of Uttar Pradesh, India", Energy Sustain. Develop., 17, 210-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.esd.2013.02.002
- Priyanka, P., Patidar, N.P. and Nema, R.K. (2014), "Determination of reliability constrained optimal resource mix for an autonomous hybrid power system using partial swarm optimization", Renew. Energy, 63, 194-204. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2013.09.003
- Rajesh, K., Gupta, R.A. and Ajay, K.B. (2013), "Economic analysis and power management of a stand-alone wind/ photovoltaic hybrid energy system using biogeography based optimization algorithm", Swarm Evolut. Comput., 8, 33-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.swevo.2012.08.002
- Salmanoglu, F. and Cetin, N.S. (2013), "The software package for design optimization of the wind/ photovoltaic autonomous hybrid power system-A case study for Ankara city", Energy Sour. Part A-Recov. Util. Environ. Effects, 35(20), 1946-1955.
- Sankar, D., Deepa, N., Rajagopal, S. and Karthik, K.M. (2015), "Solar power and desalination plant for copper industry: improvised techniques", Adv. Energy Res., 3(1), 59-70. https://doi.org/10.12989/eri.2015.3.1.059
- Skoplaki, E. and Palyvos, J.A. (2008), "On the temperature dependence of photovoltaic module electrical performance: A review of efficiency/power correlations", Solar Energy, 83, 614-624.
- Sonali, G. and Sayed, M.A. (2014), "Hybrid energy system for off grid remote telecom tower in Odisha, India", Int. J. Ambient Energy, 1-7.
- Suresh, M., Keiko, N. and Ajitha, K. (2011), "Comparing cost of electricity sourced from a fuel cell-based renewable energy system and the national grid to electrify a rural health centre in India: a case study", Renew. Energy, 36(11), 2978-2983. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2011.03.041
- Turkay B.E. and Telli A.Y. (2011), "Economic analysis of standalone and grid connected hybrid energy systems", Renew. Energy, 36(7), 1931-1943 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2010.12.007
- Vineetha, C.P. and Babu, C.A. (2013), "Cost effectiveness of renewable energy sources in smart premises", IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference-South Asia Satellite (GHTC-SAS), 159-163.
- Vineetha, C.P., Babu, C.A. and Nambiar, T.N.P. (2014), "Optimization of grid tied hybrid power system in smart premises", Int. J. of Green Energy. (in Press)
- Vineetha, C.P. and Babu, C.A. (2014), "Economic analysis of off grid and on grid hybrid power system", IEEE International Conference on Circuits, Power and Computing Technologies, 473-478.
- Xiangxiang, G., Yasunori, A. and Daisuke, S. (2014), "Installed capacity optimization of distributed energy resource systems for residential buildings", Energy Build., 69(1), 307-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2013.11.026
- Yann, R., Seddik, B., Franck, B. and Stephane, P. (2011), "Optimal power flow management for grid connected PV systems with batteries", IEEE Tran. Sustain. Energy, 2(3), 309-320. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2011.2114901
- Impact of hybrid system in polyester production vol.4, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/23311916.2017.1362198