- Volume 57 Issue 6
Efficiency assessment of L-profiles and pipe fore-poling pre-support systems in difficult geological conditions: a case study
DOI QR Code
Elyasi, Ayub;Moradi, Taher;Moharrami, Javad;Parnian, Saeid;Mousazadeh, Akbar;Nasseh, Sepideh
- 투고 : 2015.09.25
- 심사 : 2016.02.11
- 발행 : 2016.03.25
Tunneling is one of the challenging tasks in civil engineering because it involves a variety of decision making and engineering judgment based on knowledge and experience. One of the challenges is to construct tunnels in risky areas under shallow overburden. In order to prevent the collapse of ceilings and walls of a large tunnels, in such conditions, either a sequential excavation method (SEM) or ground reinforcing method, or a combination of both, can be utilized. This research deals with the numerical modeling of L-profiles and pipe fore-poling pre-support systems in the adit tunnel in northwestern Iran. The first part of the adit tunnel has been drilled in alluvial material with very weak geotechnical parameters. Despite applying an SEM in constructing this tunnel, analyzing the results of numerical modeling done using FLAC3D, as well as observations during drilling, indicate the tunnel instability. To improve operational safety and to prevent collapse, pre-support systems, including pipe fore-poling and L-profiles were designed and implemented. The results of the numerical modeling coupled with monitoring during operation, as well as the results of instrumentation, indicate the efficacy of both these methods in tunnel collapse prevention. Moreover, the results of modeling using FLAC3D and SECTION BUILDER suggest a double angle with equal legs (
sequential excavation method;alluvial material;numerical modeling;L-profiles;pipe forepoling;monitoring
- Aksoy, C.O. and Onargan, T. (2010), "The role of umbrella arch and face bolt as deformationpreventing support system in preventing building damages", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 25(5), 553-559. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2010.03.004
- Barisone, G., Pigorini, B. and Pelizza, S. (1982), "Umbrella arch method for tunnelling in difficult conditions-analysis of Italian cases", Proceedings of the Fourth Congress International Association of Engineering Geology, New Delhi, 4, 15-27.
- Carrieri, G., Fiorotto, R., Grasso, P. and Pelizza, S. (2002), "Twenty years of experience in the use of the umbrella-arch method of support for tunnelling", 4th International Workshop on Micropiles, Venice, Italy.
- Carrieri, G., Grasso, P.G., Mahtab, A. and Pelizza, S. (1991), "Ten years of experience in the use of umbrella-arch for tunnelling", Proceedings of the Congress on Soil and Rock Improvement in Underground Works, Milano, 1, 99-111.
- Elyasi, A., Javadi, M., Moradi, T., Moharrami, J., Parnian, S. and Amrac, M. (2016), "Numerical modeling of an umbrella arch as a pre-support system in difficult geological conditions: a case study", Bul. Eng. Geology Environ., 75, 211-221. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10064-015-0738-5
- Gangale, G., Corona, G. and Pelizza, S. (1992), "The Messina-Palermo motorway: complex rock masses and tunnelling problems", Tow. New World. Tunnel., 2, 873-880.
- Haruyama, K., Teramoto, S., Harada, H. and Mori, M. (2001), "Construction of urban expressway tunnel with special large cross-section by NATM Metropolitan Inter-city Highway (ken-O-Do) Ome Tunnel", International Symposium, Modern Tunnelling Science and Technology.
- Hoek, E. (2004), "Numerical modeling for shallow tunneling in weak rock", Discussion Paper # 3.
- Kamata, H. and Mashimo, H. (2003), "Centrifuge model test of tunnel face reinforcement by bolting", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 18(2-3), 205-212. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(03)00029-4
- Kim, S.H., Baek, S.H. and Moon, H.K. (2005), "A study on the reinforcement effect of umbrella arch method and prediction of tunnel crown and surface settlement", Ed. Solak, E., Underground Space Use, Analysis of the Past and Lessons for the Future.
- Fethi, K. (2015), "3D numerical study of tunnel advance core reinforcement: application on tunnel T4 from the algerian east-west highway", Jordan J. Civil Eng., 9(2), 139-149.
- Lunardi, P. (2000), "The design and construction of tunnels using the approach based on the analysis of controlled deformation in rocks and soils", Tunnels and Tunnelling International-Supplement, May.
- Mair, R.J. (2008), "Tunneling and geotechnics: new horizons", Geotechnique, 58(9), 695-739. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2008.58.9.695
- Murata, M., Okazawa, T., Harunaka, K. and Tamai, A. (1996), "Shallow twin tunnel for six lanes beneath densely residential area", North Am. Tunnel., 96, 371-380.
- Ocak, I. (2008), "Control of surface settlements with umbrella arch method in second stage excavations of Istanbul Metro", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 23(6), 674-681. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2007.12.005
- Sakurai, S., Kawashima, I. and Otani, T. (1995), "A criterion for assessing the stability of tunnels", ISRM International Symposium, 2, 969-973.
- Sekimoto, H., Kameoka, Y. and Takehara, H. (2001), "Countermeasures for surface settlement in constructing shallow overburden urban tunnels penetrated through active fault", International symposium, Modern Tunneling Science and Technology, 711-716.
- Shin, H.S., Han, K.C., Sunwoo, C., Choi, S.O. and Choi, Y.K. (1999), "Collapse of a tunnel in weak rock and the optimal design of the support system", Proceedings of the Ninth International Congress on Rock Mechanics, Paris, France.
- Shin, J.H., Choi, Y.K., Kwon, O.Y. and Lee, S.D. (2008), "Model testing for pipe-reinforced tunnel heading in a granular soil", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 23(3), 241-250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2007.04.012
- Singh, B. and Goel, R.K. (2006), Tunnelling in Weak Rocks, Elsevier Geo-Engineering Book Series, Vol. 5. Elsevier Ltd, Oxford.
- Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) (2009), "Technical Manual for Design and Construction of Road Tunnels Civil Elements".
- Volkmann, G.M. and Schubert, W. (2007), "Geotechnical model for pipe roof supports in tunneling", Proceeding of the 33rd ITA-AITES World tunneling congress, underground spaced the 4th dimension of metropolises, Taylor & Francis Group, London.
- Yoo, C. and Shin, H.K. (2003), "Deformation behaviour of tunnel face reinforced with longitudinal pipeslaboratory and numerical investigation", Tunnel. Underg. Space Tech., 18, 303-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(02)00101-3