- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The effect of infill walls on the seismic behavior of boundary columns in RC frames
- Fenerci, Aksel ;
- Binici, Baris ;
- Ezzatfar, Pourang ;
- Canbay, Erdem ;
- Ozcebe, Guney
- Received : 2014.11.02
- Accepted : 2016.01.18
- Published : 2016.03.25
The seismic behavior of a
pseudo-dynamic testing;masonry infill wall;finite element method;seismic assessment
- ACI 318-11 (2011), "Building code requirements for structural concrete", American Concrete Institute, Detroit, Michigan, USA.
- ASCE/SEI 41-06 (2006), "Seismic rehabilitation of existing buildings", American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, Virginia, USA.
- Bertero, V.V. and Brokken, S. (1983), "Infills in seismic resistant building", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 109(6), 1337-1361. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1983)109:6(1337)
- Binici, B., Canbay, E., Ozcebe, G., Yakut, A., Aldemir, A., Demirel, I.O., Erdil, B. and Kale, O. (2012), "Observations regarding seismic and structural damage for november 9th 2011 Mw 5.6 Van-Edremit earthquake", METU-EERC Rep. No. 2012-1, Turkish Chamber of Civil Engineers, Ankara, Turkey.
- Boljevic, B. (2015), "An assessment of the strut models for seismic analysis of infilled frames", Ph.D. Dissertation, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Canbay, E., Ersoy, U. and Tankut, T. (2004), "A three-component force transducer for RC structural testing", Eng. Struct., 26(2), 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.10.002
- Dolsek, M. and Fajfar, P. (2002), "Mathematical modeling of an infilled RC frame structure based on the results of pseudo-dynamic tests", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(6), 1215-1230. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.154
- DIANA (2008), "Displacement analyses user's manual", TNO DIANA, Delft, Netherlands.
- El-Dakhakhni, W., Elgaaly, M. and Hamid, A.A. (2003), "Three-strut model for concrete masonry-infilled steel frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 129(2), 177-185. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:2(177)
- Elwood, K.J., Matamoros, A.B., Wallace, J.W., Lehman, D.W., Heintz, J.A., Mitchell, A.D., Moore, M.A., Valley, M.T., Lowes, L.N., Comartin, C.D. and Moehle, J.P. (2007), "Update to ASCE/SEI 41 concrete provisions", Earthq. Spectra, 23(3), 493-523. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.2757714
- Erdik, M. (2000), "Report on 1999 Kocaeli and Duzce (Turkey) earthquakes", Proceeding of the 3rd Intl. Workshop on Structural Control, Paris.
- Eurocode 8 (2004), "Design of structures for earthquake resistance-part 1: general rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings", CEN: Brussels, Belgium.
- Fardis, M.N., Bousias, S.N., Franchioni, G. and Panagiotakos, T.B. (1999), "Seismic response and design of RC structures with plan-eccentric masonry infills", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(2), 173-191. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199902)28:2<173::AID-EQE810>3.0.CO;2-1
- Favvava, J.F., Naoum M.C. and Karayannis, C.G. (2013), "Limit states of RC structures with first floor irregularities", Struct. Eng. Mech., 47(6), 791-818. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.47.6.791
- Feenstra, P.H. (1993), "Computational aspects of biaxial stress in plain and reinforced concrete", Ph.D. Dissertation, Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands.
- Fiorato, A.E., Sozen, M.A. and Gamble, W.L. (1970), "An investigation of the interaction of reinforced concrete frames with masonry filler walls", Civil Engineering Studies, Structural Research Series Rep. No.370, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign IL, USA.
- Hashemi, A. and Mosalam, K.M. (2007), "Seismic evaluation of reinforced concrete buildings including effects of masonry infill walls", PEER Technical Report 2007/100.
- Kakaletsis, D.J. and Karayannis, C.G. (2007), "Experimental investigation of infilled RC frames with eccentric openings", Struct. Eng. Mech., 26(3), 231-250. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.26.3.231
- Kakaletsis, D.J. and Karayannis, C.G. (2009), "Experimental Investigation of infill RC frames with openings", ACI Struct. J. 106(2), 132-141.
- Klinger, R.E. and Bertero, V.V. (1976), "Infilled frames in earthquake-resistant construction", Report EERC/76-32. Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA.
- Kurt, E.G., Binici, B., Kurc, O., Canbay, E., Akpinar, U. and Ozcebe, G. (2011), "Seismic performance of a deficient reinforced concrete test frame with infill walls", Earthq. Spectra, 27(3), 817-834. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.3609876
- Mainstone, R.J. (1971), "On the stiffness and strength of infilled frames", Proceeding of the Trans. Institute of Civil Engineers Suppl. IV, Institute of Civil Engineers, London, England.
- Marjani, F. (1997), "Behavior of brick infilled reinforced concrete frames under reversed cycling loading", Ph.D. Dissertation, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Mehrabi, A.B., Shing, P.B., Schuller, M.P. and Noland, J.L. (1994), "Performance of masonry-infilled R/C frames under in-plane lateral loads", Structural Engineering and Structural Mechanics Research Series, University of Colorado at Boulder, Department of Civil Environment and Arch. Engineering, Colorado, USA.
- Mehrabi, A. and Shing, P. (1997), "Finite element modeling of masonry-infilled RC frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 123(5), 604-613. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:5(604)
- Molina, F.J., Verzeletti, G., Magonette, G., Buchet, P.H. and Geradin, M. (1999a), "Bi-directional pseudodynamic test of a full-size three-storey building", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 28(12), 1541-1566. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199912)28:12<1541::AID-EQE880>3.0.CO;2-R
- Molina, F.J., Pegon, P. and Verzeletti, G. (1999b), "Time-domain identification from seismic pseudodynamic test results on civil engineering specimens", Proceedings of 2nd International Conference on Identification in Engineering Systems, University of Wales, Swansea, Wales.
- Mosalam, K.M., White, R.N. and Ayala, G. (1998), "Response of infilled frames using pseudo-dynamic experimentation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(6), 589-608. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199806)27:6<589::AID-EQE744>3.0.CO;2-K
- Selby, R.G. and Vecchio, F.J. (1993), "Three dimensional constitutive relations for reinforced concrete", Technical Report No. 93-02, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B. (2010), "Finite-element modeling of nonlinear behavior of masonry-infilled RC frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 136(3), 285-296. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.116
- Sucuoglu, H., Binici, B., Canbay, E., Kurc, O. and Ozcebe, G. (2013), "A study towards development of new generation performance based codes, 108G084 Tubitak Final Report, Ankara, Turkey.
- TEC (2007), "Turkish code for buildings in seismic zones", Ministry of Public Works and Settlement, Ankara, Turkey. (in Turkish)
- Turgay, T., Durmus, M.C., Binici, B. and Ozcebe, G. (2014), "Evaluation of the predictive models for stiffness, strength, and deformation capacity of RC frames with masonry infill walls", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 140(10), 06014003. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001069
- Vecchio, F.J. and Collins, M.P. (1993), "Compression response of cracked reinforced concrete", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 119(12), 3590-3610. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1993)119:12(3590)
- Van Noort, J.R. (2012), "Computational modeling of masonry structures", Master Thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, Netherlands.
Supported by : TUBITAK