- Volume 10 Issue 3
Buckling-restrained braced frames (BRBFs) are commonly used as lateral force-resisting systems in the structures located in seismic-active regions. The nearly symmetric load-displacement behavior of buckling-restrained braces (BRBs) helps in dissipating the input seismic energy through metallic hysteresis. In this study, an experimental investigation has been conducted on the reduced-core length BRB (RCLBRB) specimens to evaluate their hysteretic and overall performance under gradually increased cyclic loading. Detachable casings are used for the concrete providing confinement to the steel core segments of all test specimens to facilitate the post-earthquake inspection of steel core elements. The influence of variable core clearance and the local detailing of casings on the cyclic performance of RCLBRB specimens has been studied. The RCLBRB specimen with the detachable casing system and a smaller core clearance at the end zone as compared to the central region exhibited excellent hysteretic behavior without any slip. Such RCLBRB showed balanced higher yielding deformed configuration up to a core strain of 4.2% without any premature instability. The strength-adjustment factors for the RCLBRB specimens are found to be nearly same as that of the conventional BRBs as noticed in the past studies. Simple expressions have been proposed based on the regression analysis to estimate the strength-adjustment factors and equivalent damping potential of the RCLBRB specimens.
braced frames;buckling-restrained braces;component testing;energy dissipation;seismic response;yielding
- Aiken, I.D., Mahin, S.A. and Uriz, P.R. (2002), "Large-scale testing of buckling-restrained braced frames", Proceedings of the Japan Passive Control Symp., Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan.
- ANSI/AISC 341-10 (2010), Seismic provisions for structural steel buildings, American Institute of Steel Construction, Chicago, IL.
- Benzoni, G. and Innamorato, D. (2007), Star Seismic brace tests mercy San Juan hospital project, Report No. SRMD-2007/05-rev2, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- Black, C.J., Makris, N. and Aiken, I.D. (2004), "Component testing, seismic evaluation and characterization of buckling-restrained braces", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 130(6), 880-894. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:6(880)
- Chao, S.H., Karki, N.B. and Sahoo, D.R. (2013), "Seismic behavior of steel buildings with hybrid braced frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 139(6), 1019-1032. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000702
- Chen, C.C., Chen, S.Y. and Liaw, J.J. (2001), "Application of low yield strength steel on controlled plastification ductile concentrically braced frames", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 28(5), 823-836. https://doi.org/10.1139/l01-044
- Chou, C.C., Liu, J.H. and Pham, D.H. (2012), "Steel buckling-restrained braced frames with single and dual corner gusset connections: seismic tests and analyses", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(7), 1137-1156. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1176
- Clark, P., Aiken, I., Kasai, K., Ko, E. and Kimura, I. (1999), "Design procedures for buildings incorporating hysteretic damping devices", Proceedings of 1999 Annual Convention of the Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC), Santa Barbara, California.
- Daniels, M. (2011), "Towards characteristic over strength curves for buckling-restrained braces", Proceedings of 2011 Annual Convention of the Structural Engineers Association of California, Santa Barbara, California.
- Eryasar, M.J. and Topkaya, C. (2010), "An experimental study on steel-encased buckling-restrained brace hysteretic dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 39(5), 561-581.
- Fahnestock, L.A., Sause, R. and Ricles, J.M. (2007), "Seismic response and performance of bucklingrestrained braced frames", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 133(9), 1195-1204. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:9(1195)
- FEMA-450 (2003), NEHRP Recommended Provisions for Seismic Regulations for New buildings and Other Structures, Part 1-Provisions, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC.
- FEMA 356 (2000), Prestandard and Commentary for the Seismic Rehabilitation of Buildings, Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, DC.
- Gheidi, A., Mirtaheri, M., Zandi, A.P. and Alanjari, P. (2011), "Effect of filler material on local and global behaviour of buckling-restrained braces", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 20(6), 700-710. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.555
- Ghowsi, A.F. and Sahoo, D.R. (2013), "Seismic performance of buckling-restrained braced frames with varying beam-column connections," Int. J. Steel Struct., 13(4), 607-621. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-013-4003-0
- Iwata, M. and Murai, M. (2006), "Buckling-restrained brace using steel mortar planks: Performance evaluation as a hysteretic damper", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(14), 1807-1826. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.608
- Iwata, M., Kato, T. and Wada, A. (2003), "Performance evaluation of buckling-restrained braces in damagecontrolled structures: Behavior of steel structures in seismic area", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference, Behavior of steel structures in seismic areas (STESSA), Naples, Italy.
- Ju, Y.K., Kim, M.H., Kim, J. and Kim, S.D. (2009), "Component tests of buckling-restrained braces with unconstrained length", Eng. Struct., 31(2), 507-516. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.09.014
- Kim, D.W., Sim, H.B., Uang, C.M. and Benzoni, G. (2010), Subassemblage testing of core-brace bucklingrestrained braces (H Series), Report No. TR-09/01, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- Lai, J.W. and Tsai, K.C. (2001), A study of buckling-restrained braced frames, Report No. CEER/R90-07, Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, National Taiwan University, Taiwan. (in Chinese)
- Merritt, S., Uang, C.M. and Benzoni, G. (2003), Subassemblage testing of core brace buckling-restrained braces, Report No. TR-2003/01, Dept. of Struct. Eng., University of California at San Diego, USA.
- Newell, J., Uang, C.M. and Benzoni, G. (2005), Subassemblage testing of core-brace buckling-restrained braces (F Series), Report No. TR-05/01, University of California, San Diego, CA.
- Pandikkadavath, M.S. and Sahoo, D.R. (2013), "Seismic performance of steel frame structures with hybrid concentrically brace systems", Proceedings of the International Conference on rehabilitation and restoration of structures, Chennai, India.
- Razavi, S.A., Mirghaderi, S.R., Hosseini, A. and Shemshadian, M.E. (2012), "Reduced length buckling restrained brace with steel plates as restraining segment", Proceedings of the 13th World Confernece Earthquakes Engineering, Lisboa.
- Romero, P., Revelry, L., Miller, P. and Okahashi, T. (2003), Full-scale testing of WC Series bucklingrestrained braces, Dept. of Civil and Env. Eng., University of Utah, USA.
- Sabelli, R., Mahin, S.A. and Chang, C. (2003), "Seismic demands on steel braced frame buildings with buckling-restrained braces", Eng. Struct., 25(5), 655-666. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00175-X
- Tremblay, R., Bolduc, P., Neville, R. and Devall, R. (2006), "Seismic testing and performance of bucklingrestrained bracing systems", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 33(2), 183-198. https://doi.org/10.1139/l05-103
- Tsai, K.C. and Hsiao, P.C. (2008), "Pseudo-dynamic test of a full-scale CFT/BRB frame-part II: Seismic performance of buckling-restrained braces and connection", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(7), 1099-1115. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.803
- Uang, C.M., Nakashima, M. and Tsai, K.C. (2004), "Research and application of buckling-restrained braced frames", Int. J. Steel Struct., 4(4), 301-313.
- Watanabe, A., Hitomi, Y., Saeki, E., Wada, A. and Fujimoto, M. (1988), "Properties of brace encased in buckling-restrained concrete and steel tube", Proceedings of the 9th World Conf. on Earth. Eng., Tokyo, Japan.
- Wu, A.C., Lin, P.C. and Tsai, K.C. (2014), "High-mode buckling responses of buckling restrained brace core plates", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 43(3), 375-393. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2349
- Xie, Q. (2005), "State of the art buckling-restrained braces in Asia", J. Const. Steel Res., 61(6), 727-748. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2004.11.005
- Zhao, J., Wu, B. and Ou, J. (2011), "A novel type of angle steel buckling-restrained brace: Cyclic behavior and failure mechanism", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(10), 1083-1102. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1071
- Testing of Buckling-Restrained Braces with Replaceable Steel Angle Fuses vol.144, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001985
- 11.45: Cyclic testing on hybrid buckling-restrained Braces (HBRBs) vol.1, pp.2-3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/cepa.373
- Analytical investigation on cyclic response of buckling-restrained braces with short yielding core segments vol.16, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-016-0083-y
- Effect of Loading History and Restraining Parameters on Cyclic Response of Steel BRBs pp.2093-6311, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13296-018-0187-7
Supported by : Board of Research in Nuclear Sciences (BRNS)