- Volume 6 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of simulated platform dynamics in steady/dynamic winds and irregular waves for OC4 semi-submersible 5MW wind-turbine against DeepCwind model-test results
- Kim, H.C. ;
- Kim, M.H.
- 투고 : 2015.12.17
- 심사 : 2016.02.11
- 발행 : 2016.03.25
The global performance of the 5 MW OC4 semisubmersible floating wind turbine in random waves with or without steady/dynamic winds is numerically simulated by using the turbine-floater-mooring fully coupled dynamic analysis program FAST-CHARM3D in time domain. The numerical simulations are based on the complete second-order diffraction/radiation potential formulations along with nonlinear viscous-drag force estimations at the body's instantaneous position. The sensitivity of hull motions and mooring dynamics with varying wave-kinematics extrapolation methods above MWL(mean-water level) and column drag coefficients is investigated. The effects of steady and dynamic winds are also illustrated. When dynamic wind is added to the irregular waves, it additionally introduces low-frequency wind loading and aerodynamic damping. The numerically simulated results for the 5 MW OC4 semisubmersible floating wind turbine by FAST-CHARM3D are also extensively compared with the DeepCWind model-test results by Technip/NREL/UMaine. Those numerical-simulation results have good correlation with experimental results for all the cases considered.
wind energy;FOWT (Floating Offshore Wind Turbine);OC4 semi-submersible;turbine-hull-mooring fully coupled dynamics;second-order wave diffraction QTF;FAST-CHARM3D;5MW wind-turbine;viscous drag;wave-crest kinematics;Irregular waves;steady/dynamic wind
- Bae, Y.H. and Kim, M.H. (2011), "Rotor-floater-mooring coupled dynamic analysis of mono-column-TLP-type FOWT (Floating Offshore Wind Turbine)", Ocean Syst. Eng., 1(1), 93-109.
- Bae, Y.H., Kim, M.H. (2014), "Coupled dynamic analysis of multiple wind turbines on a large single floater", Ocean Eng., 92, 175-187. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2014.10.001
- Bae, Y.H. and Kim, M.H. (2014), "Influence of control strategy to FOWT global performance by aero-elastic-control-floater-mooring coupled dynamic analysis", J. Ocean Wind Energy, 1(1), 50-58.
- Coulling, A.J., Goupee, A.J., Robertson, A.N., Jonkman, J.M. and Dagher, H.J. (2013), "Validation of a FAST semi-submersible floating wind turbine numerical model with DeepCwind test data", J. Renew. Sust. Energy, 5.
- Coulling, A.J., Goupee, A.J., Robertson, A.N. and Jonkman, J.M. (2013), "Importance of second-order difference-frequency wave-diffraction forces in the validation of a fast semi-submersible floating wind turbine model", Proceedings of the 32th (2013) International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering Nantes, France.
- Coulling A.J., Goupee A.J., Robertson, A.N., Jonkman, J.M., Dagher, H.J. (2013),"Validation of a FAST semisubmersible floating wind turbine model with DeepCwind test data", J. Renew. Sust. Energ, in review 2013.
- Henderson, A.R., Leutz, R. and Fujii, T. (2002), "Potential for floating offshore wind energy in Japanese waters", Proceedings of the 12th (2002) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Kitakyushu, Japan.
- Henderson, A.R., Zaaijer, M., Bulder, B., Pierik, J., Huijsmans, R., Van Hees, M., Snijders, E., Wijnants, G.H. and Wolf, M.J. (2004), "Floating windfarms for shallow offshore sites", Proceedings of the 14th (2004) International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Toulon, France.
- Jonkman, J.M. and Buhl Jr, M.L. (2004), FAST user's guide, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Rept. NREL/EL-500-29798, Golden, Colorado.
- Jonkman, J.M., Butterfield, S., Musial, W. and Scott, G. (2007), Definition of a 5-MW Reference Wind Turbine for Offshore System Development, NREL Technical Report No. TP-500-38060.
- Kang, H.Y. and Kim, M.H. (2012), "Hydrodynamic interactions and coupled dynamics between a container ship and multiple mobile harbors", Ocean Syst. Eng., 2(3), 217-228. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2012.2.3.217
- Kim, H.C. and Kim, M.H. (2015), "Global performances of a semi-submersible 5MW wind-turbine including second-order wave-diffraction effects", Ocean Syst. Eng., 5(3), 139-160. https://doi.org/10.12989/ose.2015.5.3.139
- Kim, M.H., Ran, Z. and Zheng, W. (2001), "Hull/mooring coupled dynamic analysis of a truss spar in time domain", Int. J. Offshore Polar., 11(1), 42-54.
- Kim, M.H. and Yue, D.K.P. (1991), "Sum-and difference-frequency wave loads on a body in unidirectional Gaussian seas", J. Ship Res., 35, 127-140.
- Kim, M.H. and Yue, D.K.P. (1989), "The complete second-order diffraction solution for an axisymmetric body. Part 1. Monochromatic incident waves", J, Fluid Mech., 200, 235-264. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112089000649
- Kim, M.H. and Yue, D.K.P. (1990), "The complete second-order diffraction solution for an axisymmetric body. Part 2. Bichromatic incident waves and body motions", J. Fluid Mech., 211, 557-593. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022112090001690
- Koo, B.J., Goupee, A.J., Kimball, R.W. and Lambrakos, K.F. (2014a), "Model tests for a floating wind turbine on three different floaters", J. Offshore Mech. Arct., 136(2), 021904. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4024711
- Koo, B.J., Goupee, A.J., Lambrakos, K. and Lim, H.J. (2014b), "Model test data correlations with fully coupled hull/mooring analysis for a floating wind turbine on a semi-submersible platform", Proceedings of the 33th (2014) International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, San Francisco, USA.
- Longridge, J. K., Randall, R. E., and Zhang, J. (1996), "Comparison of experimental irregular water wave elevation and kinematic data with new hybrid wave model predictions", Ocean Eng., 23(4), 277-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-8018(95)00033-X
- Masciola, M., Robertson, A.N., Jonkman, J.M., Alexander Coulling, A.J. and Goupee, A.J. (2013), "Assessment of the importance of mooring dynamics on the global response of the deepCwind floating semisubmersible offshore wind turbine", The International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers.
- Musial, W.D., Butterfield, S. and Boone, A. (2004), Feasibility of floating platform systems for wind turbines, Paper presented at the 4second AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, NV.
- Robertson, A., Jonkman, J., Vorpahl, F., Popko,W., Qvist, J., Froyd, L., Chen, X., Azcona, J., Uzunoglu, E., Guedes Soares, C., Luan, C., Yutong, H., Pengcheng, F., Yde, A., Larsen, T., Nichols, J., Buils, R., Lei, L., Anders Nygard, T., Manolas, D., Heege, A., Ringdalen Vatne, S., Ormberg, H., Duarte, T., Godreau, C., Fabricius Hansen, H., Wedel Nielsen, A., Riber, H., Le Cunff, C., Abele, R., Beyer, F., Yamaguchi, A., Jin Jung, K., Shin, H., Shi, W., Park, H., Alves, M. and Guerinel, M. (2014), "Offshore code comparison collaboration continuation within IEA wind task 30: phase II results regarding a floating semisubmersible wind system", Proceedings of the 33th (2014) International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, San Francisco, USA.
- Roddier D., Cermelli C., Aubault, A. and Weinstein A. (2010), "WindFloat: A floating foundation for offshore wind turbines", J. Renew. Sust. Energy, 2.
- Tahar, A. and Kim, M.H. (2003), "Hull/mooring/riser coupled dynamic analysis and sensitivity study of a tanker-based FPSO", J. Appl. Ocean Res., 25(6), 367-382. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apor.2003.02.001
- Tong, K.C. (1998), "Technical and economic aspects of a floating offshore wind farm", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 399-410. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00036-1
- Wayman, E.N., Sclavounos, P.D., Butterfield, S., Jonkman, J. and Musial, W. (2006), "Coupled dynamic modeling of floating wind turbine systems", Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, TX.
- Yang, C.K. and Kim, M.H. (2010), "Transient effects of tendon disconnection of a TLP by hull-tendon-riser coupled dynamic analysis", Ocean Eng., 37(8-9), 667-677. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2010.01.005
- Zhao, W. and Wan, D. (2015), "Numerical study of interactions between phase ii of oc4 wind turbine and its semi-submersible floating support system", J. Ocean Wind Energy, 2(1), 45-53.
연구 과제번호 : Development of the design technologies for a 10MW class wave and offshore wind hybrid power generation system
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries