- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Studying the Amount of Depression and its Role in Predicting the Quality of Life of Women with Breast Cancer
- Shakeri, Jalal ;
- Golshani, Sanobar ;
- Jalilian, Elham ;
- Farnia, Vahid ;
- Nooripour, Roghieh ;
- Alikhani, Mostafa ;
- Yaghoobi, Kianoosh
- Published : 2016.03.07
Background: Depression is the most common psychological reactions in women with breast cancer. This study aimed at investigating the amount of depression and its role in predicting the quality of life of women suffering from breast cancer. Materials and Methods: The present descriptive study in volved a correlation method with 98 women living in Kermanshah-Iran with breast cancer. According to the access to the patients and the condition of conducting the research, they were chosen by available sampling. Life quality inventory (World Health Organization, 1989) and depression inventory (Beck et al., 2000) were used to gather the data. Moreover, to analyze the relationships among the variables correlation analysis with Pearson method, as well as multiple regression with the enter method and frequency analysis were applied. Results: The findings revealed that not only is depression high, but also there is a negative significant relationship between depression and the quality of life, with predictive potential. Conclusions: The finding of a relationship between depression and the quality of life points to the need for addressing psychological problems of the affected individuals more appropriately. It is suggested that we consider psychological and educational services for patients in treatment planning to make people aware of different psychological aspects of their disease and ways of struggling and overcoming the problems.
Breast cancer;depression;life quality;women;Iran
- Agha-Brari M, Ahmadi F, Mohammadi E, et al (2006). Physical, mental and social components of life quality among women with breast cancer in chemotherapy. J Nurs Res, 1, 55-65.
- Akechi T, Nakano T, Okamura H (2001). Psychiatric disorders in cancer Patients: descriptive analysis of 1721 Psychiatric referrals at two Japanese cancer center hospitals. Jap J Clin Oncol, 31, 188-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hye039
- Asoudikermani I, Harizchi-Ghadim S, Piry E, et al (2010). The Study of effect of muscle relaxation on anxiety, depression and life quality among people with cancer in Chemotherapy. Tenth national congress of Iranian scientific association of Psychiatry. Iran.
- Beck AT, Steer RA, Brown GK (2000). Manual for the beck depression inventory-II. san antonio, TX: The Psychological Corporation.
- Biabangard E (2008). Method of research in psychology and educational sciences. 1thed. Tehran: Dowran.
- Dadsetan P, Mansour M (1990). Psychosis. Tehran: Roshd.
- Donald A (2002). What is Quality of life? Available at: www.jr2.ox.ac.uk.
- Ellis A (1994). Reason and emotion in psychotherapy revised. New York: Kensington.
- Gharaie B (2003). Status determination of Identity and relationship between Status determination of Identity with identity styles and depression among teenagers. Unpublished PhD thesis. Medical sciences university of Iran.
- Hamid N, Talebian L, Mehrabizade-Honarmand M, et al (2011). Effective of meaning therapy on depression, anxiety and life quality among people with cancer. J Educat Sci Psychol, 18, 199-224.
- Hopko DR, Bell JL, Armento M, et al (2008). Cognitive-behavior therapy for depressed cancer patients in medical care setting. Behavior Therapy, 2, 126-136.
- JonesW, Bartlett D (2004). A cancer source book for nurses. 8thed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Massie MJ (2004). Prevalence of depression in patients with cancer. J National Cancer Institute Monographs, 32, 57-71.
- Meichenbaum D (1997). The evolution of a cognitive-behavior therapist. In J. K. Zeig (Ed.), The evolution of psychotherapy:The third conference (pp. 96-104). New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Northouse LL, Caffey M, Deichelbohrer L, et al (1999). The quality of life of African American women with breast cancer. Res Nurs Health, 22, 449-60. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-240X(199912)22:6<449::AID-NUR3>3.0.CO;2-A
- Pourkiani M, Hazrati M, Abbaszade A, et al (2010). Whether rehabilitation is effective in improving the quality of life of patients with breast cancer? Payesh J, 9, 61-68.
- Rahimi M, Khayer M (2009). Relationship between models of family relationships and quality of life among students of Shiraz. J Educat Psychol Studies Ferdosi University, 10, 5-25.
- Saatchi M, Kamkar K, Asgarian M (2011). Psychological Tests. Tehran: Virayesh.
- Safaie A, Zighami B, Tabatabaie HR, et al (2007). Life quality and components with effect on life quality among people with breast cancer in Chemotherapy. Iranian J Epidemiol, 3, 61-66.
- Saki O, Hajizade E, Tehranian N (2011). Study of risk of breast cancers components by tree models analysis. Ofogh-Danesh J, 17, 60-68.
- Taylor KL (2003). Psychological adjustment among african american breast cancer patients: one year follow-up results of a randomized psycho educational group intervention. Health Psychol, 22, 310-323. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.110
- Williams S, Dale J (2006). The effectiveness of treatment for systematic review. British J Cancer, 94, 372-390. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6602949
- World Health Organization (1989). Constitution of the World Health Organization. Geneva: Author.
- Factors associated with self-reported history of depression diagnosis among cancer survivors aged 18 years and over in the United States vol.27, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.4770
- Health-related quality of life of breast cancer patients in the Eastern Mediterranean region: a systematic review and meta-analysis pp.1573-7217, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-019-05131-0