- Volume 17 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Prostate Cancer in Iran: Trends in Incidence and Morphological and Epidemiological Characteristics
- Pakzad, Reza ;
- Rafiemanesh, Hosein ;
- Ghoncheh, Mahshid ;
- Sarmad, Arezoo ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid ;
- Hosseini, Sayedehafagh ;
- Sepehri, Zahra ;
- Afshari-Moghadam, Amin
- Published : 2016.03.07
Background: Prostate cancer is second most common cancer in men overall in the world, whereas it is the third most common cancer in men and the sixth most common cancer in Iran. Few studies have been conducted on the epidemiology of prostate cancer in Iran. Since ethnicity of Iranian men is different from Asian people and given the epidemiologic and demographic transition taking place in Iran, this study aimed to investigate trends of incidence and morphology of prostate cancer during 2003 - 2008 in the country. Materials and Methods: Data were collected retrospectively reviewing all new prostate cancer patients in the Cancer Registry Center of the Health Deputy for Iran during a 6-year period. Also carcinoma, NOS and adenocarcinoma, NOS morphology were surveyed. Trends analysis of incidence and morphology was by joinpoint regression. Results: During the six years a total of 16,071 cases of prostate cancer were recorded in Iran. Most were adenocarcinomas at 95.2 percent. Trend analysis of incidence (ASR) There was a significant increase incidence, with annual percentage change (APC) of 17.3% and for morphology change percentage trends there was a significant decrease in adenocarcinoma with an APC of -1.24%. Conclusions: Prostate cancer is a disease of older men and the incidence is increasing in Iran. The most common morphology is adenocarcinoma this appears to be decreasing over time. Due to the changing lifestyles and the aging of the population, epidemiological studies and planning assessment of the etiology of prostate cancer and its early detection are essential.
- Albasri A, El-Siddig A, Hussainy A, et al (2014). Histopathologic characterization of prostate diseases in Madinah, Saudi Arabia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4175. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4175
- Amoori N, Mirzaei M, Cheraghi M (2014). Incidence of cancers in kuzestan province of Iran: Trend from 2004 to 2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8345-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8345
- Arshad H, Ahmad Z (2013). Overview of benign and malignant prostatic disease in Pakistani patients: a clinical and histopathological perspective. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3005-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3005
- Autorino R, Di Lorenzo G, Damiano R, et al (2009). Pathology of the prostate in radical cystectomy specimens: a critical review. Surgical Oncol, 18, 73-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suronc.2008.07.006
- Baade PD, Youlden DR, Krnjacki LJ (2009). International epidemiology of prostate cancer: geographical distribution and secular trends. Molecular nutrition Food Res, 53, 171-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/mnfr.200700511
- Basiri A, Shakhssalim N, Jalaly NY, et al (2014). Difference in the incidences of the most prevalent urologic cancers from 2003 to 2009 in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1459-63. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1459
- Belbase NP, Agrawal CS, Pokharel PK, et al (2013). Prostate cancer screening in a healthy population cohort in Eastern Nepal: an explanatory trial study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2835-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.2835
- Bray F, Lortet-Tieulent J, Ferlay J, et al (2010). Prostate cancer incidence and mortality trends in 37 European countries: an overview. Eur J Cancer, 46, 3040-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.09.013
- Eser S, Yakut C, Ozdemir R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence rates in Turkey in 2006: a detailed registry based estimation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1731-9.
- Esmail Nasab N MG, Zareie M, et al (2007). Survey of epidemilogic status and incidence rates of cancers in the patients above 15 years old in Kurdistan province. SJKUMS, 11, 18-25.
- Farahmand M, Almasi-Hashiani A, Mehrabani D (2013). The epidemiologic study of prostate cancer in Fars province, Southern Iran (2003-2008). Arak Med U J, 15, 54-60.
- Fatemah Haghighi , Ali Habibi, Tavakoli M (2005). Epidemiological retrospective study of neoplasms of prostate gland in Birjand (South Khorasan province). J Birjand U Med Sci, 12, 9-15.
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. Int J Cancer, 136, 359-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- Fritz AG (2000). International classification of diseases for oncology: ICD-O, World Health Organization.
- Goya M (2007). Iranian Annual Cancer Registration Report 2005/2006. Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Health Deputy. Center Disease Control Prevention (in Persian).
- Grivas N, Hastazeris K, Kafarakis V, et al (2012). Prostate cancer epidemiology in a rural area of North Western Greece. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 999-1002. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.999
- Gronberg H (2003). Prostate cancer epidemiology. Lancet, 361, 859-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)12713-4
- Hahiyan K, Firozjahi A, Taghkiya M (2003). Pattern of Age Distribution of Different Cancers Babol, 2001. Pejouhesh, 27, 239-45.
- Hosseini S, Danesh A, Parvin M, et al (2007). Incidental prostatic adenocarcinoma in patients with PSA less than 4 ng/mL undergoing radical cystoprostatectomy for bladder cancer in Iranian men. Int Braz J urol, 33, 167-75. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1677-55382007000200006
- Jack RH, Davies EA, Moller H (2010). Prostate cancer incidence, stage at diagnosis, treatment and survival in ethnic groups in South East England. BJU Int, 105, 1226-30. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2009.08940.x
- Jamali M, Moghadam K (1996). Statistical study and review of prostatic latent carcinoma. Tehran U Med J, 54, 37-41.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Keyghobadi N, Rafiemanesh H, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al (2015). Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1409-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- Kim HJ, Fay MP, Feuer EJ, et al (2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Statistics Med, 335-51.
- Masoompour SM, Yarmohammadi H, Rezaianzadeh A, et al (2011). Cancer incidence in southern Iran, 1998-2002: Results of population-based cancer registry. Cancer Epidemiol, 35, 42-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2011.05.018
- Mehrabani D, Tabei S, Heydari S, et al (2008). Cancer occurrence in fars province, southern Iran. Iranian Red Crescent Med J, 10, 314-22.
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Muir C, Nectoux J, Staszewski J (1991). The epidemiology of prostatic cancer: geographical distribution and time-trends. Acta Oncologica, 30, 133-40. https://doi.org/10.3109/02841869109092336
- Pakzad R, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). The incidence and mortality of prostate cancer and its relationship with development in Asia. Prostate Int, 3, 135-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prnil.2015.09.001
- Pourmand G, Salem S, Mehrsai A, et al (2007). The risk factors of prostate cancer: a multicentric case-control study in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 422.
- Radmard AR (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Sadjadi A, Nooraie M, Ghorbani A, et al (2007). The incidence of prostate cancer in Iran: results of a population-based cancer registry. Arch Iran Med, 10, 481-5.
- Zorlu F, Zorlu R, Divrik R, et al (2014). Prostate cancer incidence in Turkey: an epidemiological study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9125-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9125
- Analysis of Cancer Incidence and Mortality in Iran Using Joinpoint Regression Analysis vol.19, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.42071
- Effects of Thymoquinone on IL-6 Gene Expression and Some Cellular Signaling Pathways in Prostate Cancer PC3 Cells vol.12, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/jjnpp.63753
- Detection of HPV genotypes and their association with p53 codon 72 polymorphism in prostate cancer vol.12, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.2217/fvl-2017-0001
- Arg399Gln substitution in XRCC1 as a prognostic and predictive biomarker for prostate cancer: Evidence from 8662 subjects and a structural analysis pp.1099498X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jgm.3053
- Western Dietary Pattern, But not Mediterranean Dietary Pattern, Increases the Risk of Prostate Cancer pp.1532-7914, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1490779
- Is Propionibacterium acnes a Causative Agent in Benign Prostate Hyperplasia and Prostate Cancer? vol.13, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5812/archcid.58947
- The role of blood neutrophil count and the neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio as a predictive factor for prostate biopsy results pp.1724-6075, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/0391560318766822
- Relationship between nutrients intake and the risk of prostate cancer vol.48, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-01-2018-0003