- Volume 17 Issue 2
Background: Worldwide, the incidence of cancers is increasing and is becoming a major public health issue, including those in the Asia Pacific region. South-East Asia is a region with diverse populations with different disease spectra. This study looked at the spectrum of cancers among South-East Asians working in Brunei Darussalam. Materials and Methods: The cancer registry from 1994 to 2012 maintained by the State Laboratory was retrospectively reviewed. Crude incidence rates were calculated based on the population census of 2010. Results: Altogether, there was a total of 418 cancer cases diagnosed among South-East Asians, giving an incidence of 5.1% (n=418/8,253). The affected nationals in decreasing frequency were Malaysians (53.1%), followed by Filipinos (25.8%), Indonesians (15.3%), Thais (3.8%), Myanmese (1.7%) and Vietnamese (0.2%) with no recorded cases for Singapore and the People's Republic of Laos. The overall mean age of diagnosis was
Southeast Asia;neoplasms;cancers;spectrum;Brunei Darussalam
- Ali R, Barnes I, Cairns BJ, et al (2013). Incidence of gastrointestinal cancers by ethnic group in England, 2001-2007. Gut, 62, 1692-703. https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2012-303000
- Chang HJ, Chen WX, Lin EC, et al (2014). Delay in seeking medical evaluations and predictors of self-efficacy among women with newly diagnosed breast cancer: a longitudinal study. Int J Nurs Stud, 51, 1036-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.10.024
- Eav S, Schraub S, Dufour P, et al (2012). Oncology in cambodia. Oncol, 82, 269-274. https://doi.org/10.1159/000336791
- Giddings BH, Kwong SL, Parikh-Patel A, Bates JH, Snipes KP (2012). Going against the tide: increasing incidence of colorectal cancer among koreans, filipinos, and south asians in california, 1988-2007. Cancer Causes Control, 23, 691-702. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-012-9937-6
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. Globocan 2012: Estimated cancer incidence, mortality and Prevalence Worldwide 2012.
- Jung M, Ramanadhan S, Viswanath K (2013). Effect of information seeking and avoidance behavior on self-rated health status among cancer survivors. Patient Educ Couns, 92, 100-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.02.008
- Laudico AV, Mirasol-Lumague MR, Mapua CA, et al (2010). Cancer incidence and survival in metro Manila and Rizal Province, Philippines, Jpn J Clin Oncol, 40, 603-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyq034
- Maringe C, Mangtani P, Rachet B, et al (2013). Cancer incidence in South Asian migrants to england, 1986-2004: unraveling ethnic from socioeconomic differentials. Int J Cancer, 132, 1886-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27826
- Menon U, Szalacha LA, Prabhughate A (2012). Breast and cervical cancer screening among South Asian immigrants in the United States. Cancer Nurs, 35, 278-87. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e31822fcab4
- Moore MA, Ariyaratne Y, Badar F, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in South Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 49-66.
- Moore MA, Attasara P, Khuhaprema T, et al (2011). Cancer epidemiology in mainland South-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 67-80.
- Moore MA, Manan AA, Chow KY, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in peninsular and island South-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 81-98.
- National cancer registry report. Malaysia cancer statistics- data and figure 2007.
- National Registry of Disease Office (NRDO). Singapore cancer registry interim annual registry report trends in cancer incidence in Singapore 2008-2012. https://www.nrdo.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider3/Publications-Cancer/trends-in-cancer-incidence-in-singapore-2009-2013-interim.pdf?sfvrsn=0 (Retrieved 18th March 2015).
- Othman NH, Nor ZM, Biswal BM (2008). Is Kelantan, joining the global cancer epidemic?--experience from hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia; 1987-2007. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 473-8.
- Teo MC, Soo KC (2013). Cancer trends and incidences in Singapore. Jpn J Clin Oncol, 43, 219-24. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hys230
- Vuong DA, Velasco-Garrido M, Lai TD, Busse R (2010). Temporal trends of cancer incidence in Vietnam, 1993-2007. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 739-45.
- Wahidin M, Noviani R, Hermawan S, et al (2012). Populationbased cancer registration in Indonesia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1709-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1709
- Wirasorn K, Suwanrungruag K, Wiangnon S, Punjaruk W (2014). Numbers of new cases and trends of cancer 1993-2012: srinagarind hospital based population, Khon Kaen, north- East Thailand. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8423-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8423
- Woodward M (2014). A Consensus plan for action to improve access to cancer care in the association of southeast asian nations (ASEAN) region. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8521-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8521