- Volume 17 Issue 2
Background: Breast cancer is a major health problem among women around the world. Recent developments in screening and treatment have greatly improved the prognosis of patients with breast cancer in developed countries. However, in developing countries breast cancer mortality remains high.Breast cancer awareness is a first and important step in reducing breast cancer mortality. The development of a validated instrument to measure breast cancer awareness is crucial for the understanding and implementation of suitable health education programs to facilitate early deletion and minimize mortality. Objective: The objective of this study was to develop an instrument for the assessment of breast cancer awareness in Thai women. Materials and Methods: This methodological study was conducted in two stages: (1) literature searches and semi-structured interviews were conducted to generate items of the breast cancer awareness scale (B-CAS) which were subsequently examined for content and face validity, and (2) an exploration of the factor structure of the resulting instrument and an examination of its reliability. Data were collected using a self-administered questionnaire in Thai women aged 20-64 in August, 2015. Results: A total of 219 women (response rate 97.4 %) participated in this validation study. The B-CAS contains five domains with 53 items on breast cancer awareness: 1) knowledge of risk factors, 2) knowledge of signs and symptoms, 3) attitude to breast cancer prevention, 4) barriers of breast screening, and 5) health behavior related to breast cancer awareness. Items with a content validity index < 0.80 were excluded, and factor structure for the remaining items reflected the hypothesized five factor model. The scales based on all retained items was shown to have strongly internal consistency reliability (Cronbach's
Breast cancer;breast cancer awareness;instrument development;Thai women
- Akinyemiju TF (2012). Socio-economic and health access determinants of breast and cervical cancer screening in low-income countries: analysis of the World Health Survey. PloS one, 7, 48834. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0048834
- Al-Dubai SA, Qureshi AM, Saif-Ali R, et al (2011). Awareness and knowledge of breast cancer and mammography among a group of Malaysian women in Shah Alam. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 2531-8.
- American Cancer Society. (2015). Signs and symptoms of breast cancer. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/detailedguide/breastcancer-signs-symptoms
- Comrey AL, Lee, HB (1992). A First Course in Factor Analysis. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Donnelly TT, Al Khater AH, Al-Bader SB, et al (2013). Beliefs and attitudes about breast cancer and screening practices among Arab women living in Qatar: a cross-sectional study. BMC Women's Health, 13, 49. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-13-49
- Donnelly TT, Khater A H, Al-Bader SB, et al (2014). Factors that influence awareness of breast cancer screening among Arab women in Qatar: results from a cross sectional survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10157-64.
- Elobaid YE, Aw TC, Grivna M, Nagelkerke N (2014). Breast cancer screening awareness, knowledge, and practice among arab women in the United Arab Emirates: a cross-sectional survey. PloS one, 9, 105783. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0105783
- Fazio Russell H, Zanna Mark P (1978). Attitudinal qualities relating to the strength of the attitude-behavior relationship. 14, 398-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(78)90035-5
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al (2012). GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: iarc cancerbase No. 11 [Internet]. lyon, france: international agency for research on cancer; 2013.
- Gurdal SO, Saracoglu GV, Oran ES, Yankol Y, Soybir GR (2012). The effects of educational level on breast cancer awareness: a cross-sectional study in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 295-300. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.295
- Jones SC, Gregory P, Nehill C, et al (2010). Australian women's awareness of breast cancer symptoms and responses to potential symptoms. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 945-958. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9522-9
- Kanaga KC, Nithiya J, Shatirah MF (2011). Awareness of breast cancer and screening procedures among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1965-7.
- Khokhar, A. (2009). Level of awareness regarding breast cancer and its screening amongst Indian teachers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 247-250.
- Khuhaprema, T, Attasara, P, Sriplung, H, Wiangnon, S, and Sangrajrang, S (2013). Cancer in Thailand. Volume VII, 2007-2009: National Cancer Institude, Bangkok.
- Khuhaprema, T, Attasara, P, Sriplung, H, et al (2012). Cancer in Thailand. Volume VI, 2004-2006. National Cancer Institude, Bangkok.
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Attasara P, et al (2010). Cancer in Thailand. Volume V, 2001-2003. National Cancer Institude, Bangkok.
- Kline P (2000). The handbook of psychological testing (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.
- Kwok C, Fethney J, White K (2012). Breast cancer screening practices among chinese-australian women. European J Oncol Nurs, 16, 247-52.
- Linsell L, Forbes LJ, Burgess C, et al (2010). Validation of a measurement tool to assess awareness of breast cancer. European J Cancer, 46, 1374-1381. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2010.02.034
- Liu LY, Wang F, Yu LX, et al (2014s). Breast cancer awareness among women in Eastern China: a cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health, 14, 1004. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-1004
- Long N, Moore MA, Chen, W, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in north-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 107-48.
- Miyawaki R, Shibata A, Ishii K, Oka K (2014). Awareness and correlates of the role of physical activity in breast cancer prevention among Japanese women: results from an internetbased cross-sectional survey. BMC Women's Health, 14, 80. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-14-80
- Moore MA, Ariyaratne Y, Badar F, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in South Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 49-66.
- Moore MA, Attasara P, Khuhaprema T, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology in mainland South-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 67-80.
- Moore MA, Manan AA, Chow KY, et al (2010). Cancer epidemiology and control in peninsular and island South-East Asia - past, present and future. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 81-98.
- Nelson Heidi D, Zakher Bernadette, Cantor Amy, et al (2012). Risk factors for breast cancer for women aged 40 to 49 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med, 156, 635-48. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-156-9-201205010-00006
- Norlaili AA, Fatihah MA, Daliana NF, Maznah D (2013). Breast cancer awareness of rural women in Malaysia: is it the same as in the cities? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 7161-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.12.7161
- Norsa'adah B, Rahmah MA, Rampal KG, Knight A (2012). Understanding barriers to Malaysian women with breast cancer seeking help. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3723-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3723
- Patel AV, Callel EE, Bernstein L, Wu AH, Thun MJ (2003). Recreational physical activity and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer in a large cohort of US women. Cancer Causes Control, 14, 519-29. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1024895613663
- Radi SM (2013). Breast Cancer awareness among Saudi females in Jeddah. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4307-12. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4307
- Ranasinghe HM, Ranasinghe N, Rodrigo C, Seneviratne Rde A, Rajapakse S (2013). Awareness of breast cancer among adolescent girls in Colombo, Sri Lanka: a school based study. BMC Public Health, 13, 1209. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-1209
- RCoreTeam (2015). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- Rosseel, Yves (2012). lavaan: An R Package for Structural Equation Modeling. J Statistical Software, 48, 1-36.
- Sathian B, Nagaraja SB, Banerjee I, et al (2014). Awareness of breast cancer warning signs and screening methods among female residents of Pokhara valley, Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4723-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.11.4723
- Tazhibi M, Feizi A (2014). Awareness levels about breast cancer risk factors, early warning signs, and screening and therapeutic approaches among Iranian adult women: a large population based study using latent class analysis. BioMed Res Int, 2014, 306352.
- National Cancer Institute of Thailand (2010). Hospital-based cancer registry 2010 Retrieved March 22, 2015, from http://www.nci.go.th
- National Cancer Institute of Thailand. (2011). Hospital-based cancer registry 2011 Retrieved March 22, 2015, from http://www.nci.go.th
- National Cancer Institute of Thailand. (2012). Hospital-based cancer registry 2012 Retrieved March 22, 2015, from http://www.nci.go.th
- Tripathi N, Kadam YR, Dhobale RV, Gore AD (2014). Barriers for early detection of cancer amongst Indian rural women. South Asian J Cancer, 3, 122-127. https://doi.org/10.4103/2278-330X.130449
- Unger-Saldana, K. (2014). Challenges to the early diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer in developing countries. World J Clin Oncol, 5, 465-77. https://doi.org/10.5306/wjco.v5.i3.465
- Wu TY, Chung S, Yeh MC, et al (2012). Understanding breast cancer screening practices in Taiwan: a country with universal health care. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4289-94. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4289
- Yoo BN, Choi KS, Jung KW, Jun JK (2012). Awareness and practice of breast self-examination among Korean women:results from a nationwide survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.123
- Youlden DR, Cramb SM, Yip CH, Baade PD (2014). Incidence and mortality of female breast cancer in the Asia-Pacific region. Cancer Biol Med, 11, 101-15.
- Yousuf SA, Al Amoudi SM, Nicolas W, Banjar HE, Salem SM (2012). Do Saudi nurses in primary health care centres have breast cancer knowledge to promote breast cancer awareness? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4459-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4459
- Knowledge about Risk Factors for Breast Cancer and Having a Close Relative with Cancer Affect the Frequency of Breast Self-Examination Performance vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2075
- Transcultural adaptation and validation of the Persian version of the breast cancer awareness measure (BCAM) questionnaire vol.7, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cam4.1740
- Hong Kong female’s breast cancer awareness measure: Cross-sectional survey vol.10, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5306/wjco.v10.i2.98
Supported by : Khon Kaen University