- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Functional and Emotional Factors on User Satisfaction and Commitment toward Mobile Messenger Service: Investigating the Mediating Effects of Intimacy and Fatigue
기능적·정서적 요인이 모바일 메신저 서비스에 대한 사용자 만족과 몰입에 미치는 영향: 친밀감과 피로도의 매개효과를 중심으로
Lee, Ae Ri;Park, Yong Wan;Park, Yujin
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2016.02.17
- Published : 2016.02.28
The diffusion of smartphone has make people engaged in communication with mobile messenger in everyday life. To understand the rapid growth of mobile messenger usage, this study investigates the unique features of mobile messenger services as communication media. Based on the media synchronicity theory and literature about online communication, we identify the functional and emotional features of mobile messenger. In particular, this study demonstrates that functional and emotional features of mobile messenger would influence intimacy and fatigue. Also, intimacy and fatigue, as mediating variables, have an impact on user satisfaction and commitment toward mobile messenger service. The results of this study provide practical implications for mobile messenger providers and users which attempt to facilitate positive effect such as intimacy among users and reduce negative effect such as fatigue on mobile messenger communication.
Mobile Messenger;Media Synchronicity Theory;Multitasking;Communication Continuity;Benevolence;Emotion Expression;Intimacy;Fatigue
- Ann, S. H. and Youn, S. J., "Design method of Animation Emoticons for Non- Verbal Expression of Emotion," The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 200-204, 2006.
- Bae, J. K. and Jeong H. M., "An Empirical Study on the Determinants Factors by including Functional Attributes of Smart Phone Adoption," The e-Business Studies, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 337-361, 2008.
- Bae, S. H., Lee, S. H., Paik, S. K., and Baek, S. I., "Exploring Differences of Customers' Perceptions toward Mobile Services," The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 17-34, 2011.
- Baym, K. N., "Tune in, log on: Soaps, fandom, and online community," Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, 2000.
- Boneva, B., Kraut, R., and Frohlich, D., "Using e-mail for personal relationships: The difference gender makes," American Behavioral Scientist, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 530-549, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1177/00027640121957204
- Campbell, D. T. and Stanley, J. C., "Experimental and quasi-experimental designs for research on teaching," American Educational Research Association. 1963.
- Carlson, J. R. and George, J. F., "Media Appropriateness in the Conduct and Discovery of Deceptive Communication: The Relative Influence of Richness and Synchronicity," Group Decision and Negotiation, Vol. 13, pp. 191-210, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:GRUP.0000021841.01346.35
- Castells et al., "Immersion in the virtual ornament: contemporary "movie ride film," D. Thornburn and H. Jenkins. (eds.) Rethinking Media change: the aesthetics of transition," Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2004.
- Chan, M., "Shyness, sociability, and the role of media synchronicity in the use of computer-mediated communication for interpersonal communication," Asian Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp. 84-90, 2011.
- Chen, S. C. and Dhillon, G. S., "Interpreting Dimentsions of Consumer Trust in E-Commerce," Information Technology and Management, Vol. 4, pp. 303-318, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022962631249
- Chen, Q. and Yan, Z., "Does multitasking with mobile phones affect learning?," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 54, pp. 34-42, 2015.
- Chin, W. W., "Issues and opinion on structural equation modeling," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 7-16, 1998.
- Cho, J., Ramgolam, D. I., Schaefer, K. M., and Sandlin, A. N., "The rate and delay in overload: An investigation of communication overload and channel synchronicity on identification and job satisfaction," Journal of Applied Communication Research, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp. 38-54, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/00909882.2010.536847
- Choi, J., Lee, J. S., and Choi, S. H., "Factors Influencing Mobile Messenger Interface Design Quality: With a focus on KakaoTalk Application," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 211-220, 2012.
- Daft, R. and Lengel, R., "Organizational Information Requirements, Media Richness and Structural Design," Management Science, Vol. 32, pp. 554-571, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.32.5.554
- Dennis, A. R., Fuller, R. M., and Valacich, J. S., "Media, tasks, and communication processes: A theory of media synchronicity," MIS quarterly, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 575-600, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2307/25148857
- Figl, K., "Media choice and teamwork in a blended learning course," Cognition and Exploring in Digital Age(CELDA), Barcelona, Spain, 2006.
- Dennis, A. R. and Valacich, J. S., "Rethinking media richness: Towards a theory of media synchronicity," Systems Sciences, 1999 IEEE, Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Hawaii International Conference, pp. 1-10, 1999.
- Fowler Jr, F. J., "Survey research methods," Sage publications, 2013.
- Ganesan, S. and Hess, R., "Dimensions and Levels of Trust: Implications for Commitment to a Relationship," Marketing Letters, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 439-448, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007955514781
- Gefen, D., Straub, D. and Boudreau, M., "Structural equation modeling and regression: Guidelines for research practice," Communications of the AIS, Vol. 4, No. 7, pp. 1-79, 2000.
- Gruen, T. W., Summers, J. O. and Acito, F., "Relationship marketing activities, commitment, and membership behaviors in professional associations," Journal of marketing, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 34-49, 2000.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L. and Black, W. C., "Multivariate Data Analysis with Readings," (5th ed.). NY: Macmillan, 1998.
- Han, S. Y., Ma, E. J., Choi, S. G., and Hong, D. S., "Analysis on the Impact of Using Smart-phone to Subjective Quality of Life," Korea Journal of Information Society, Vol. 20, pp. 49-84, 2011.
- Hart, L. K., Freel, M. L., and Milde, F. K. Fatigue., "Nursing Clinics of North America," Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 967-976, 1990.
- Hess, T., Fuller, M., and Campbell, D., "Designing Interfaces with Social Presence: Using Vividness and Extraversion to Create Social," Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Vol. 10, No. 12, pp. 889-919, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17705/1jais.00216
- Hwang, H. S., Sohn, S., and Choi, Y. J., "Exploring Factors Affecting Smart-Phone Addiction: Characteristics of Users and Functional Attributes," Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 277-313, 2011.
- Ito, M. and Okabe, D., "Technosocial situations: Emerhent structuring of mobile e-mail use. In M. Ito, D. Okabe, and M. Matsuda (Eds.), Personal, portable, pedestrian: Mobile phones in Japanese life," pp. 257-273, Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2005.
- Jeon, Y. H., Ku, C. M., Jeong, N. H., and Lee, D. Y., "An empirical study on the process of intimacy development through Social Network Service: Investigating mediating effects of presentation of online identity and partner responsiveness," Fall Conference on Korea Society of Management Information Systems, pp. 575-581, 2012.
- Jeong, S. H. and Fishbein, M., "Predictors of multiasking with media: Media factors and audience factors," Media Psychology, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 364-384, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/15213260701532948
- Jo, H., Nam, D. W., and Kim, S. H., "A study on the intention of continuous use of smart phone," The e-Business Studies, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 251-268, 2011. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.12.3.201109.251
- Jo, D. H., Park, J. W., and Chun, H. J., "The Relationship among Perceived Value, Use-Diffusion, Loyalty of Mobile Instant Messaging Service," Journal of Intelligence and Information Systems, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 193-212, 2011.
- Kang, J. S. and Jang, Y. J., "Phenomenological Study on Telepresence and Experience of Smartphone Users," Korean Journal of Broadcasting and Telecommunication Studies, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 7-45, 2012.
- Kang, M. S., "A Study on the Effect of On-line Community Characteristics on Community Commitment and Usage Intention," Korea Business Review, Vol. 3, No. 1, pp. 77-98, 2002.
- Kim, B., "The Role of Relational Commitment and its Antecedents in User Loyalty of Mobile Messenger Services," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 241-251, 2014.
- Kim, D. K. and Tae, J. H., "A Study on the Mediation Experiences of Smart Phone Users," Humanities Contents, Vol. 19, pp. 373-394, 2010.
- Kim, G. and Kim, S., "The Relationship between Technostress and Continuance Commitment within Organizations: The Moderating Effects of Involvement Facilitation and Technical Support Provision," Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp. 153-166, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2015.20.1.153
- Kim, H. and Yun, S., "Continuance Intentions in Mobile Instant Messaging: Focused on Network Externalities and Perceived Quality," The Academy of Customer Satisfaction Management, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp. 61-77, 2014.
- Kim, K., Kim, H. J., and Bae, Y., "Exploring the Concept and Determinants of SNS(Social Network Service) Fatigue," Korea Journal of Information Society, Vol. 26, pp. 102-129, 2013.
- Kim, K. and Yun, S., "Deriving the Factors to Affect the User Satisfaction of SNS with a Comparison for Different Service Types," The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 125-143, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10660-012-9089-5
- Kim, M. S. and Lee, D. J., "The Role of Digital Fatigue and Flow in SNS Usage," The e-Business Studies, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 67-87, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.13.1.201203.67
- Kim, Y. J., Kim, Y. M., and Kim, S. I., "The Comparative Study on the Emotion Function used in Mobile Instant Messenger: Focus on Kakao talk and Frankly chat," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 73-82, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2014.14.3.008
- Kock, N., "Media Richness or Media Naturalness? The Evolution of Our Biological Communication Apparats and Its Influence on Our Behavior Toward ECommunication Tools," IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 117-130, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPC.2005.849649
- Kwak, K. T., Cheon, Y., Oh, S. H., Choi, S. G., Lee, I., and Kim, J., "Why people feel stressful in using mobile social network: from socio-technical perspective based on KAKAOTalk user survey data," Korean Management Review, Vol. 41, No. 6, pp. 1405-1434, 2012.
- Laerenceau, J. P., Barrett, L. F., and Pietromonaco, P. R., "Intimacy as an interpersonal process: the importance of self-disclosure, partner disclosure, and perceived partner responsiveness in interpersonal exchanges," J Pers Soc Psychol, Vol. 74, No. 5, pp. 1238-1251, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1688
- Lee, A. R., Soon, S. M., and Kim, K. K., "Information and Communication Technology Overload and Social Networking Service Fatigue: A Stress Perspective," Computers in Human Behavior, Vol. 55, Part A, pp. 51-61, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.08.011
- Lee, B. K. and Kim, B. S., "A Study on the Antecedents of Continuance Intention and Recommendation Intention in a Mobile Instant Messenger Environment," The e-Business Studies, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 499-523, 2012. https://doi.org/10.15719/geba.13.3.201209.499
- Lee, H. J. and Chung, D. H., "A Study on the Discontinuance Intention of Twitter and Facebook," Korean Journal of Journalism and Communications Studies, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 269-293, 2013.
- Lee, J., "A Study on College Students' use and daily experience of Mobile Instant Messenger," Media, Gender and Culture, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 37-70, 2014.
- Lee, M. S. and Jeong, S. H., "Mobile Ad Interactivity, User Need for Cognition, and Multitasking Effects," Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 86-115, 2013.
- Lee, S. H. and Kim, S. I., "An Investigation on the Motivation and the Reciprocity of the Usage of Mobile Messengers and Its User Immersion: Focusing on Kakaotalk," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 479-488, 2013. https://doi.org/10.17280/jdd.2013.13.1.046
- Lee, Y. H., "A report of Koreans' current SNS usage and its main issues," Internet and Security Focus, pp. 56-78, 2014.
- Lu, L. and Lee, J. H., "The Effect on Flow, Users' Satisfaction and Loyalty by Motivation Factors of Mobile Messenger APP and Quality Factors-Focused on the Comparison between Korean KakaoTalk and Chinese Wechat," The e-Business Studies, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 255-276, 2014.
- Lim, S. S., "How to educate Internet Language in Cyber Youth Culture?," The Korean Association of Ethics, Vol. 99, pp. 183-204, 2014.
- Lu, L., Sun, Z. J., and Lee, J. H., "Factors Affecting the Continuous Intention of Using the Mobile Messenger Application: Focused on KakaoTalk," Korean Business Education Review, Vol. 28, No. 3, pp. 439-458, 2013.
- Lynch Jr, J. G., "On the external validity of experiments in consumer research," Journal of consumer Research, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 225-239, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1086/208919
- McAdams, D. P. and Constanitian, C. A., "Intimacy and affiliation motives in daily living: An experience sampling analysis," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 45, No. 4, pp. 851-861, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1241
- McKinny, V. and Yoon, K., "The measurement of Web-customer Satisfaction: An Expectation and Disconfirmation Approach," Information Systems Research, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 296-315, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.13.3.296.76
- Meeker, M., "Internet Trends 2015", Kleniner Perkins Caufield Byers Code Conference, 2015. 05. 27.
- Mun, Y. J. and Lee, J. H., "A Study on the Effects of Online Community Flow: Mediating Satisfaction and Community Trust," The Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 23-45, 2007.
- Nae, G. Y., "Study on Use Motivation and Gratification of Mobile SNS Users: Centering on Twitter and Me2day," Masters' degree dissertation, Seogang University, 2010.
- Namm, S. H., "Effects of Integrity, Ability, and Benevolence on Trust Buildup in Information Technology Environment," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 313-323, 2011.
- Nunnally, J., "Psychometric Theory," Mac-Graw-Hill: New York, 1978.
- Oh, M., "SNS Skepticism: The 'Exodus' Symptoms are on the Rise," Hyonsanggwa-Insik, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 187-209, 2013.
- Park, D. S. and Jeon, K. R., "Digital, Media and Culture," Hannarae, 2005.
- Park, N. I. and Lee, H. S., "A Study on the Impact of the Usage of Instant Messenger on Social Presence and Faceto- Face Communication," Spring Conference on Korean Association For Communication and Information Studies, 2007.
- Park, H. K., "Relationship between Emoticons and Nonverbal Behaviors in Online Chatting System: Emoticons as Relational Control Mechanism," Journal of Communication Science, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 273-302, 2005.
- Park, S. B. and Hwang, H. S., "A Study on Online Self-disclosure, Online Intimacy and Sense of Co-location Via Instant Messaging," Asian Communication Research, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 469-512, 2007.
- Park, S. H., "From Deviance To Normality: Avatars as Agent of Self Cyberspace," Korean Journal of Journalism and Communication Studies, Vol. 48, No. 5, pp. 375-405, 2004.
- Piper, B. F., Lindsey, A. M., and Dodd, M. J., "Fatigue mechanisms in cancer patients: Developing nursing theory," In Oncology Nursing Forum, Vol. 14, pp. 17-23, 1987.
- Ragu-Nathan, T. S., Tarafdar, M., Ragu-Nathan, B. S. and Tu, Q., "The consequences of technostress for end users in organizations: Conceptual development and empirical validation," Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp. 417-433, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1287/isre.1070.0165
- Reis, H. T. and Shaver, P., "Intimacy as an interpersonal process," In S. Duck (Ed.), Handbook of personal relationships, pp. 367-389, Chichester, England: Wiley, 1996.
- Rempel, J. K., John, G. H., and Mark, P. Z., "Trust in Close Relationships," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp. 95-112, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- Ryoo, S. Y. and Koo, C., "The moderating effect of media synchronicity in the communication media use and knowledge creation," Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 103-124, 2010.
- Shin, H. K., Shin, J. M., and Lee, H., "A Study on the Influencing Information Sharing in the Social Network Services," Information management review, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 137-156, 2011.
- Tarafdar, M., Tu, Q., Ragu-Nathan, B. S., and Ragu-Nathan, T. S., "The impact of technostress on role stress and productivity," Journal of Management Information Systems. Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 301-328, 2007. https://doi.org/10.2753/MIS0742-1222240109
- Talamo, A. and Ligorio, M. B., "Identity in the cyberspace: The social construction of identity through on-line virtual interactions," Paper presented at 1st dialogical self conference, pp. 23-26 Nijimegen, NL, 2000.
- Taylor, T. L., "Living Digitally: Embodiment in Virtual Worlds, In R. Schroeder (Ed.), The social life of avatars: Presence and interaction in shared virtual environments," London: Spinger-Verlag, from http://www.itu.dk/-tltaylor/papers/Talor-LivingDigitally.pdf, 2003.
- Tolstedt, B. E. and Strokes, J. P., "Relation of verbal, affective, and physical intimacy to martial satisfaction," Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 30, No. 4, pp. 573-580, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.523
- Utz, S., "Social information processing in MUDs: The development of friendships in virtual worlds," Journal of Online Behavior, Vol. 1, No. 1, from http://www.behavior.net/JOB/v1n1/utz.html., 2000.
- Van Yperen, N. W. and Hagedoorn, M., "Do high job demands increase intrinsic motivation or fatigue or both? The role of job control and job social support," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 339-348, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/30040627
- Walter, J. B., Anderson, J. E., and Park, D. W., "Interpersonal effects in Computer- mediated interaction: A meta-analysis of social and antisocial communication," Communication Research, Vol. 2, pp. 460-487, 1994.
- Walther, J. B., "Computer-mediated communication: impersonal, interpersonal, and hyperpersonal interaction," Communication Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 3-43, 1996.
- Wrench, J. S. and Punyanunt-Carter, N. M., "The Relationship between Computer- Mediated-Communication competence, apprehension, self-efficacy, perceived confidence, and social presence," Southern Communication Journal, Vol. 72, No. 4, pp. 355-378, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/10417940701667696
- Yoo, Y. J. and Alavi, M., "Media and Group Cohesion: Relative Influences on Social Presence, Task Participation, and Group Consensus," MIS Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 371-390, 2001. https://doi.org/10.2307/3250922
- Yu, Y. S., "A study on visual communication in online and offline: Focusing on emoticon of instant messenger," Journal of Digital Design, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 51-59, 2007.
- Analysis on the Correlation Between Mobile Contents Use and Active Attitude toward Mobile Internet vol.21, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7838/jsebs.2016.21.4.015