- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Application of Random Regret Minimization Model in the Context of Intercity Travel Mode Choice
지역간 수단선택에 있어서 확률적 후회 최소화 모형의 적용 연구
Jin, Woo-Jeong;Lee, Jang-Ho
- Received : 2015.10.07
- Accepted : 2015.11.23
- Published : 2016.02.29
The multinomial logit model, based on random utility maximization (RUM) theory, has been the predominant model used in travel mode choice contexts. In this paper, the travel mode choice model based on random regret minimization (RRM) theory is proposed as an alternative to the RUM model, and the applicability of the RRM model is examined. The presented model is applied to the case of inter-city travel mode choice in Korea. The empirical results show that the RUM model and RRM model have parameters that are consistent with the intuition. The goodness of fit statistics in the RRM model improved compared with the results of the RUM model. Consequently, these results show the possibility of using the RRM model in the context of travel mode choice.
Random Utility Maximization;Random Regret Minimization;Intercity Travel Mode Choice
- C.G. Chorus, T.A. Arentze, H.J.P. Timmermans (2008) A random regret minimization model of travel choice, Transportation Research Part B, 42(1), pp. 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trb.2007.05.004
- C.G. Chorus (2010) A new model of random regret minimization, European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, 10, pp. 181-196.
- C G. Chorus (2012a) Random regret minimization: an overview of model properties and empirical evidence, Transport Reviews, 32(1), pp. 75-92. https://doi.org/10.1080/01441647.2011.609947
- C G. Chorus, J.M. Rose, D.A. Hensher (2013) Regret minimization or utility maximization: it depends on the attribute, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design , 40(1), pp. 154-169. https://doi.org/10.1068/b38092
- C.G. Chorus (2012b) Logsums for utility-maximizers and regret-minimizers, and their relation with desirability and satisfaction, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, 46(7), pp. 1003-1012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2012.04.008
- M. Boeri, R. Scarpa, C.G. Chorus (2014) Stated choices and benefit estimates in the context of traffic calming schemes: Utility maximization, regret minimization, or both?, Transportation Research Part A, 61, pp. 121-135.
- M. Boeri, L. Masiero (2014) Regret minimization and utility maximization in freight transport context, Transportmetrica A: Transport Science, 10(6), pp. 548-560. https://doi.org/10.1080/23249935.2013.809818
- M.S. Song (2013) A study of mode choice behavior based on regret theory, Master's Thesis, Yonsei University.
- H.B. Kim (2012) A study of mode choice analysis of blind spot areas for public transportation in four metropolitan cities, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 32(6), pp. 565-569. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2012.32.6D.565
- I.K. Kim, K.S. Kim, Y.C. Kim (2005) Model specification and estimation method for traveler's mode choice behavior in Busan metropolitan area, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, 23(3), pp. 7-19.
- D.S. Yoon (2001) Analysis of travel mode and home departure time choice for university students' commuting trips, Journal of Korea Planners Association, 36(1), pp. 197-209.
- S.H. Choo (2012) Exploring impacts of activity factors on travel mode choice: focused on discretionary activities, The Korea Spatial Planning Review, 74, pp. 163-173. https://doi.org/10.15793/kspr.2012.74..010
- K.S. Kim, H.J. Cho (2004) Development of scaled explosion logit model considering reliability of ranking data, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, 22(6), pp. 197-206.
- H.G. Kim, K.S. Kim, S.M. Lee (2004) Design and implementation of travel mode choice model using the bayesian networks of data mining, Journal of Korean Society of Transportation, 22(7), pp. 77-86.
- W.J. Kim (2003) Analysis of the commuter's mode choice behavior : the case study of Sungnam residents, Master's Thesis, Yonsei University.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (2013) Investment appraisal guide for transportation facilities, 5th Ed. pp. 172-176.
- J.H. Lee (2003) A mixed logit model accommodating travelers'taste variations and error structure among alternatives, PhD. Thesis, Seoul National University.