- Volume 19 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Expansion of Inland Railway Use For Container Cargo
컨테이너 화물의 내륙철도이용 확대에 관한 연구
- Choi, Kyoungsuk (Business School, Shandong Normal University) ;
- Xia, Tongshui (Business School, Shandong Normal University)
- Received : 2015.10.27
- Accepted : 2016.02.03
- Published : 2016.02.29
Over 80% of Korea's cargo transport relies on public roads. Such over-reliance has created a range of social problems including environmental damage. Korea thus faces an urgent need to establish an alternative mode of cargo transportation. In view of the changing international logistics environment, railway is clearly a superior mode of transport. The prerequisite task today for Korea is to enhance the competitiveness of inland railway by switching to railway and spurring new demand for cargo. This study examines inland railway cargo transport from the demand perspective. Specifically, through the use of a survey, the study identifies key factors influencing the decisions of container shippers regarding the use of railway for cargo transport. The survey responses were statistically tested using Smart PLS structural equation modeling. The results indicate that attitude toward railway use had the strongest influence on choice, while the key variable affecting attitude formation was cost.
- S. Shin (2011) Comparision study of social costs internalization for the main transportation modes; between Kwangyang Port and US great lakes, Journal of Korea Port Economic Association, 27(2), pp. 85-110.
- http://kosis.kr (Accessed 15 sept 2015).
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory&Research Center of Korea (2014) National Greenhouse Gas Inventory Report of Korea, pp. 1-403.
- http://logis.korail.go.kr/index.jsp (Accessed 11 sept 2015).
- J. Mun (2009) Support measures for domestic rail freight, Journal of the Korean society for railway, 12(1), pp. 151-160.
- H.-J. Jeon, H.-J. Ko (2008) Measures to Facilitate A Modal Shift for the Establishment of Eco-friendly Logistics System in Korea, Korea Maritime Institute, Policy study, pp. 1-127.
- Y. Lee, B. Chung (2011) A study for analysis and implications of foreign railway freight policy, Korea Logistics Review, 21(2), pp. 157-180.
- H. Kim, J. Mun (2011) Policy measures for amending the modal shift grant scheme in Korea, Journal of the Korean society for railway, 14(2), pp. 181-187. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2011.14.2.181
- K.M. Koo, Y.S. Oh (2009) Research for Plans of Modal-shift to Promote Rail Freight Transportation -From the view of Japanese Policy &Example-, Korea Logistics Review, 19(2), pp. 161-188.
- S.-H. Cho (2009) A study on the activate transport goods by the railroad through the analysis of users selection of factors, Jounal of Korea Port Economic Association, 25(2), pp.247-258.
- C.H. Choi (2015) transfer resistance factors and policy directions in railway stations of bulk freight, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 18(6), pp. 596-608. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2015.18.6.596
- J.H. Yang (2014) A study on the effects of KORAIL's CSR on customers' reliability and loyalty, Journal of the Korean Society for Railway, 17(6), pp. 423-432. https://doi.org/10.7782/JKSR.2014.17.6.423
- Mary J. Meixell and Mario Norbis (2008) A review of the transportation mode choice and carrier selection literature, The International Journal of Logistics Management, 19(2), pp. 183-211. https://doi.org/10.1108/09574090810895951
- R.M. Monczka, R.B. Handfield, L.C. Giunipero, J.L. Patterson, D. Waters (2010) Purchasing and Supply chain Management, Thomson South-Western Cengage Learning, United Kingdom, pp. 1-511.
- R.S, Russell, B.W. Taylor (2003) Operations Management -Quality and Competitiveness in a Global Environment, WILEY John Wiley & Sons, Inc, United Kingdom, pp. 1-797.
- E.L. Pedersen, R. Gray (1998) The transport selection criteria of Norwegian exporters, International Journal of Physical Distribution & Logistics Management, 28(2), p. 108. https://doi.org/10.1108/09600039810221676
- R.L. Coulter, W.R. Darden, M.K. Coulter, G. Brown (1989) Freight transportation carrier selection criteria: identification of service dimensions for competitive positioning, Journal of Business Research, 19(1), pp. 51-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-2963(89)90040-4
- M.A. McGinnis (1990) The relative importance of cost and service in freight transportation choice: before and after deregulation, Transportation Journal, 30(1), pp. 12-19.
- P.T. Evers, D.V. Harper, P.M. Needham (1996) The determinants of shipper perceptions of modes, Transportation Journal, 36(2), pp. 13-25.
- P.R. Murphy, J.M. Daley, P.K. Hall (1997) Carrier selection : do shippers and carriers agree, or not?, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, 33(1), pp. 67-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-5545(96)00003-8
- P.R. Murphy, P.K. Hall (1995) The relative importance of cost and service in freight transportation choice before and afterderegulation: an update, Transportation Journal, 35, pp, 30-38.
- V.P. Jeffs, P.J. Hills (1990) Determinants of modal choice in freight transport, Transportation(Amst)17, pp. 29-47.
- Umut R. Tuzkaya, Semih Onut (2008) A fuzzy analytic network process based approach to transportation-mode selection between Turkey and Germany: A case study, Information Sciences, 178, pp. 3133-3146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2008.03.015
- N. Shinghal, T. Fowkes (2002) Freight mode choice and adaptive stated preferences, Transportation Research Part E: Logistics &Transportation Review 38, pp.367-378. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1366-5545(02)00012-1
- B. Grue, J. Ludvigsen (2006) Decision factors underlying transport mode choice in international European freight transport, European Transport Conference, Association for European Transport, Strasbourg, France, pp. 1-23.
- M. Fishbein, I. Ajzen (1975) Belief, attitude, intention, and behavior: An introduction to theory and research. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- I. Ajzen, M. Fishbein (1980) Understanding attitudes and predicting social behavior. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Ajzen, Icek (1 December 1991) "The theory of planned behavior", Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 50(2), pp. 179-211 https://doi.org/10.1016/0749-5978(91)90020-T
- B.R. Bae (2009) Structural Equation Modeling with AMOS 17.0 -Principles and Practice-, Chengram Press, Korea, pp. 1-588.
- G.S. Kim (2013) Easy SEM with SmartPLS, Chengram Press, Korea, pp. 1-297.
- J.C. Nunnally (1978) Psychometric Theory, 2d ed., McGraw-Hill, United States, pp.1-701.
- K.-S. Choi (2012) An empirical study on the selection of a railway as a sustainable mode in inland transportation: a focus on a modal shift to a railway, Journal of International Trade & Commerce, 8(1), pp. 119-140.