- Volume 35 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A survey and development of a questionnaire related to assess habits of using personal device, knowledge of hearing loss and attitude of hearing protection in adolescents
청소년 개인음향기기 이용습관, 청력손실 원인과 청력보호 이해에 관한 실태조사 및 설문지 개발
Lee, Jang soo;Bahng, Junghwa
- Received : 2015.08.08
- Accepted : 2015.12.10
- Published : 2016.01.31
The popularity of personal listening devices(PLDs) has increased over past years, especially, in adolescents. Overuses and missuses of PLDs could be the cause of noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). The purposes of this study were (1) to survey middle school students' habits using PLDs, knowledge of hearing loss and attitude of hearing protection and (2) to develope a questionnaire for assessment of habits using PLDs, knowledge of hearing loss and attitude of hearing protection in adolescents. The 41-item questionnaire was designed and used to survey middle school students' habits using PLDs, knowledge of hearing loss and attitude of hearing protection. A total of 404 middle school students aged 14-15 years participated in the survey. Most of the students were found to use PLDs soundly. However, 30 % of students used PLDs for more than 3 hours a day. Also, almost all of the students did not understand knowledge of the causes of hearing loss, but showed interests in hearing protection. However, some students had insufficient understanding of the causes of hearing loss and the needs of hearing protection. The results suggest that the development of programs for adolescents' hearing health is needed.
Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL);Noise exposure;Hearing protection;Questionnaire
- K. S. Kim, Noise and Hearing (in Korean) (Idam Books, Paju, 2013), pp.193-201.
- K. S. Kim, J. H. Lee, B. M. Cho, S. R. Yang, O. H. Kim, Y. W. Lee, and C. S. Sim, "Evaluation and Prediction of Hearing Thresholds in Noise-Exposed Workers" (in Korean), Audiol. 1, 67-79 (2005).
- Y. Agrawal, E. A. Platz, and J. K. Niparko, "Prevalence of hearing loss and differences by demographics characteristics among US adults: Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. 1999-2004," Arch. Intern. Med. 168, 1522-1530 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.168.14.1522
- A. Axelsson and T. Jerson, "Noisy toys: a possible source of sensorineural hearing loss," Pediatr. 76, 574-578 (1985).
- J. S. Jokitulppo, E. A. Bjork, and E. Akaan-Penttila, "Estimated leisure noise exposure and hearing symptoms in Finnish teenagers," Scand. Audiol. 26, 257-262 (1997).
- I. Turunen-Rice, G. Flottorp, and O. Tvete, "A study of the possibility of acquiring noise-induced hearing loss by the use of personal cassette player(walkman)," Scand. Audiol. Suppl. 34,133-144 (1991).
- E. Daniel, "Noise and hearing loss," J. School. Health. 77, 225-231 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2007.00197.x
- K. Magilvy, "Quality of life of hearing-impaired older women," Nurs. Res. 34, 140-144 (1985).
- C. D. Mulrow, C. Aguilar, J. E. Endicott, R. Tuley, R. Velez, W. S. Charlip, M. C. Rhodes, J. A. Hill, and L. A. Denino, "Quality-of-life changes and hearing impairment. A randomized trial," Ann. Intern. Res. 113, 188-194 (1990). https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-113-3-188
- R. Folmer, S. Griest, & W. Martin, " Hearing Conservation Education Programs for Children," J. School. Health. 72, 51-57 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2002.tb06514.x
- A. Niskar, S. Kieszak, A. Holmes, E. Esteban, C. Rubin, and D. Btody, "Prevalence of Hearing Loss Among Children 6 to 19 Years of Age: The Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey," J. Am. Med. Assoc. 279, 1071-1075 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.14.1071
- J. Chung, C. Des Roches, J. Meunier, and R. Eavey, "Evaluation of Noise-Induced Hearing Loss in Young People Using a Web-Based Survey Technique," Pediatr, 115, 861-867 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2004-0173
- I. Vogel, J. Brug, C. P. Van der Ploeg, and H. Raat, "Strategies for the prevention of MP3-induced hearing loss among adolescents: expert opinions for a Delphi study," Pediatr. 123, 1257-1268 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2008-2291
- M. J. Jeon, E. J. Choi, and J. Sakong, "Incidence Rate of Noise Induced Hearing Loss in Korean Youths Using National Health Insurance Data" (in Korean), J. Kor. Soc. School. Health. Edu. 14, 93-112 (2013).
- J. S. Park, S. H. Oh, P. S. Kang, C. Y. Kim, K. S. Lee, Y. Y. Hwang, and J. Sakong, "Effects of Personal Stereo System on Hearing in Adolescents" (in Korean), J. Prev Med Public Health, 39, 159-164 (2006).
- E. J. Kim, "Problems of Usage of Earphones, PCPs on Hearing Adolescents" (in Korean), J. Kor. Soc. School Health, 22, 107-118 (2009).
- M. G. Kim, S. M. Hong, H. J. Shim, Y. D. Kim, C. I. Cha, and S. G. Yeo, "Hearing threshold of Korean adolescents associated with the use of personal music players" (in Korean), Yensei. Med. J. 50, 771-776 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2009.50.6.771
- M. R. Park, Status of personal audio equipment usage and the level of Hearing Loss Awareness among Middle and Senior High School Students (in Korean), (Ph D. thesis, University of Catholic, 2011).
- H. N. Hong, T. H. Kang, and B. N. Hong, "Survey on the Use of MP3 Players of High School Students and the Effect to Their Hearing Thresholds" (in Korean), J. Acoust. Soc. Kor. 32, 56-63 (2013). https://doi.org/10.7776/ASK.2013.32.1.056
- E. Penafiel, Developing a Questionnaire to Assess Noise Exposure in Children and Teens, (Ph. D thesis, The Ohio State University, OH. USA, 2003).
- A. Gilles, D. De Ridder, G. Van Hal, K. Wouters, A. Kleine Punte, and P. Van De Heyning, "Prevalence of Leisure Noise-Induced Tinnitus and the Attitude Toward Noise in University Students," Otol. Neurotol. 33, 899-906 (2012).
- A. Hoover and S. Krishnamurti, "Survey of college students' MP3 listening: Habits, safety issues, attitudes, and education," J. Am. Acad. Audiol. 19, 73-83 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1044/1059-0889(2010/08-0036)
- J. L. Danhauer, C E. Johnson, A. F. Dunne, M. D. Young, S. N. Rotan, T. A. Snelson, J. S. Stockwell, and M. J. Mclain, "Survey of high school students' perceptions about their iPod use, knowledge of hearing health, and need for education," Lang. Speech. Hear. Serv. School. 43, 14-35 (2011).
- G. H. Sanders, S. M. Dann, S. E. Griest, and M. T. Frederick "Development and evaluation of a questionnaire to assess knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors towards hearing loss prevention," Int. J. Audiol. 53, 209-218 (2014). https://doi.org/10.3109/14992027.2013.860487
- J. L. Danhauer, C. E. Johnson, A. Byrd, L. DeGood, C. Meuel, A. Pecile, and L. L. Koch, "Survey of college students on iPod use and hearing health," J. Am. Acad. Audiol. 20, 5-27 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3766/jaaa.20.1.2