- Volume 18 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Fashion Brand Online Impression Formation and its WOM Effect According to Online Review Types of Supporters
서포터즈의 온라인 리뷰 유형에 따른 패션 브랜드의 온라인 인상형성과 구전효과에 대한 연구
Chae, Heeju;Park, Suhyun;Ko, Eunju
- Received : 2015.03.08
- Accepted : 2016.02.05
- Published : 2016.02.28
Many brands are attempting to use consumers as a part of their marketing strategies, due to the fashion industry's sensitive response to consumers' reaction. In addition, due to the popularity of e-WOM(electronic Word-Of-Mouth), fashion brands are highly sensitive to their supporters' online reviews. Amid this background, the main objectives of this study are as follows: 1) to analyze the effect of online reviews' attributes and valences on forming an impression about a fashion brand; 2) to examine the online re-WOM(word-of-mouth) effect of online reviews by fashion brand supporters on brand attitude; and 3) to measure the moderating effect of fashion involvement in online re-WOM intention. In order to verify the research model and to test the proposed hypotheses, a 2 (utilitarian vs. hedonic review attributes) by 2 (positive vs. negative review valences) model is constructed and gathers 215 respondents. The results demonstrate that consumers form the highest reliable impression based on utilitarian and negative online reviews. However, there is no relationship between the types of online reviews and the formation of a favorable impression. Findings also reveal that the impression formed by online reviews has a positive effect on re-WOM intention, contributing to brand attitude. In addition, the hypothesis about the moderating effect produced by fashion involvement on re-WOM is supported. In conclusion, these results suggest that online reviews by fashion brand supporters have a powerful effect on forming a consumer's impression towards a fashion brand, affecting re-WOM intention and brand attitude.
fashion brand supporters;online impression formation;online review;E-WOM(Electronic Word Of Mouth);brand attitude
- Son, J. A., & Rhee, E. Y. (2007). The effects of information characteristics (direction, consensus) on word-of-mouth performance in online apparel shopping. Journal of Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(8), 1157-1167. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1157 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.8.1157
- Song, J. J. (2011). SPSS/AMOS Statistical methods. Gyeonggi: 21st century.
- Song, S. Y. (2007). The initial impression formation on Blog: Focusing on self-disclosure, self-presentation, and interactional expression component. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Speed, R., & Thompson, P. (2000). Determinants of sports sponsorship responses. Journal of Academy of Marketing Science, 29, 226-238. doi:10.1177/0092070300282004
- Sung, Y. S., Park, J. Y., & Park, E. A. (2002). The influence of on-line word of mouth information on viewing intention toward motion picture. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 57, 31-52.
- Toffler, A. (1980). The Third Wave. New York: William Morrow.
- Yang, Y., & Cho, M. J. (2000). Effect of word-of-mouth communication on consumer's attitude change. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 11(3), 7-34.
- Yoo, E. J. (2008). The effects of online consumer review on the attitude toward the product and purchase intention changes: Focusing on the brand strength, the valence of information and the consensus of information. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Yoon, S. J. (2000). A study on the antecedents of trust toward shopping mall web sites and its effects on purchase intention. Korean Management Review, 29(3), 353-376..
- Yoon, S. J., & Kim, J. H. (2001). Is the internet more effective than traditional media? Factors affecting the choice of media. Journal of Advertising Research, 41(6), 53-60. doi:10.2501/JAR-41-6-53-60
- Skowronski, J. J., & Carlston, D. E. (1989). Negativity and extremity biases in impression formation: A review of explanations. Psychological Bulletin, 105(1), 131-142. doi:10.1037/0033-2909.105.1.131 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.105.1.131
- Soh, H. J. (2012). Examining the effects of message sideness and rewarded consumer referral in the context of blog product reviews. Journal of Practical Research in Advertising and Public Relations, 5(2), 112-143.
- Chaplin, W. F., Phillips, J. B., Brown, J. D., Clanton, N. R., & Stein, J. L. (2000). Handshaking, gender, personality, and first impressions. Journal of Personality & Social Psychology, 79, 110-117. doi:10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- Chen, J. S., Ching, R., Tsai, H. T., & Kuo, Y. J. (2008). Blog effects on brand attitude and purchase intention. Proceedings of Service Systems and Service Management, 2008 International Conference, pp. 1-6. doi:10.1109/ICSSSM.2008.4598562
- Chiou, J. S., & Cheng, C. (2003). Should a company have message boards on its web sites?. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 17(3), 50-61. doi:10.1002/dir.10059 https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10059
- Anderson, N. H. (1965). Primacy effects in personality impression formation using a generalized order effect paradigm. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 2, 1-9. doi:10.1037/h0021966 https://doi.org/10.1037/h0021966
- Bargh, J. A., McKenna, K. Y. A., & Fitzsimons, G. M. (2002). Can you see the real me? Activation and expression of the "True self" on the internet. Journal of Social Issues, 58(1), 33-48. doi:10.1111/1540-4560.00247 https://doi.org/10.1111/1540-4560.00247
- Cho, N. J., Oh, S. H., & Choi, J. I. (2013). An exploratory study on success factors of user-led innovation: Grounded theory approach. Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management, 20(3), 279-293.
- Choi, E. H. (2013a). Digital age, prosumer. Apparel News. Retrieved November 11, 2014, from http://www.appnews.co.kr
- Choi, M. Y. (2013b). A study on formation of brand attitude and brand loyalty by the activities in consumer-driven online fashion brand community. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 64(2), 110-124. doi:10.7233/jksc.2013.63.2.110
- Choi, S. H., & Rhee, E. Y. (1987). A study on the fashion leadership -The relationships among fashion leadership, social character, clothing conformity and fashion information source-. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 11(3), 3015-3024.
- Chun, E. H., Song, S., & Ko, E. (2014). A decision model development for crowdsourcing in the fashion industry. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 24(4), 411-425. doi:10.1080/21639159.2014.949366 https://doi.org/10.1080/21639159.2014.949366
- Chung, M. J., & Lee, S. J. (1997). A study on correlation between clothing involvement and brand extension. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 21(7), 1124-1138.
- Chung, S. Y., & Park, C. (2005). A study on the online words of mouth behavior: Focused on type of internet shopping mall and product type of internet shopping mall and product type difference. Korea Broadcast Advertising Corporation, 70, 91-118.
- Doh, S. J., & Hwang, J. S. (2009). How consumers evaluate eWOM (Electronic Word-of-mouth) messages. Cyber Psychology & Behavior, 12(2), 193-197. doi:10.1089/cpb.2008.0109. https://doi.org/10.1089/cpb.2008.0109
- Douglas, J. T., Lawrence, J. R., & Charles, W. K. (1976). Fashion involvement and buying behavior: A methodological study. Advances in Consumer Research, 3, 46-52.
- George, R., & Nathan, J. (2010). Production, consumption, prosumption: The nature of capitalism in the age of the digital 'prosumer'. Journal of Consumer Culture, 10(1), 13-36. doi:10.1177/1469540509354673 https://doi.org/10.1177/1469540509354673
- Gershoff, A. D., Mukherjee, A., & Mukhopadhyay, A. (2003). Consumer acceptance of online agent advice: extremity and positivity effects. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(1&2), 161-170. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP13-1&2_14
- Ha, Y., & Lennon, S. J. (2011). Consumer responses to online atmosphere: The moderating role of atmospheric responsiveness. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 2(2), 86-94. doi:10.1080/20932685.2011.10593086 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2011.10593086
- Hahn, K. H., & Lee, E. J. (2014). Effect of psychological closeness on consumer attitudes toward fashion blogs: The moderating effect of fashion leadership and interpersonal LOV. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 5(2), 103-121. doi:10.1080/20932685.2014.881583 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2014.881583
- Han, S. B., & Choi, C. Y. (2014). New business model & marketing strategy in accordance with the age of Smart 3.0. The e-Business Studies, 15(6), 121-142. doi:10.15719/geba.15.6.201412.121
- Hancock, J. T., & Dunham, P. J. (2001). Impression formation in computer-mediated communication revisited. Communication Research, 28, 325-347. doi:10.1177/009365001028003004 https://doi.org/10.1177/009365001028003004
- Harmon, R. R., & Coney, K. A. (1982). The persuasive effects of source credibility in buy and lease situations. Journal of Marketing Research, 19(2), 255-260. doi:10.2307/3151625 https://doi.org/10.2307/3151625
- Henning-Thurau, T., Gwinner, K. P., Walsh, G., & Gremler, D. D. (2004). Electronic word-of-mouth via consumer-opinion platforms: What motivates consumers to articulate themselves on the internet?. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(1), 38-52. doi:10.1002/dir.10073 https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10073
- Holbrook, M. B. (1978). Beyond attitude structure: Toward the informational determinants of attitude. Journal of Marketing Research, 15, 545-556. doi:10.2307/3150624 https://doi.org/10.2307/3150624
- Hong, K. H. (2012). The effect of consumer's prosumer propensity on the WOM effect of fashion website. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 14(1), 75-82. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.1.075 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2012.14.1.075
- H&M. (2014). 50 States of fashion. H&M. Retrieved December 15, 2014, from http://50statesoffashion.com
- Jang, H. Y., Olfman, L., Ko, I., Koh, J., & Kim, K. T. (2008). The influence of on-line brand community characteristics on community commitment and brand loyalty. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 12(3), 57-80. doi:10.2753/JEC1086-4415120304 https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415120304
- Jang, J., Ko, E., Chun, E., & Lee, E. (2012). A study of a social content model for sustainable development in the fast fashion industry. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 3(2), 61-70. doi:10.1080/20932685.2012.10593108 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2012.10593108
- Jeon, D. W., Kang, M. R., Kong, H. J., Gu, Y. R., Jin, M. S., & Kim, J. H. (2011). Effects of the types of the profile picture and the types of timeline message on the impression formation of the twitter account owner (TAO). Journal of the HCI Society of Korea, 6(2), 1031-1042.
- Jeong, H. J., Yun, B. M., & Koo, D. M. (2014). Combined effects of valence and attribute of online reviews on information usefulness and product attitude : Base on the moderating effects of online brand community type and self-monitoring. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 19(1), 109-131.
- Jun, S. Y., Hun, J. H., & Kim, J. S. (2006). The influence of the valence of word-of-mouth information and the expertise of information provider on extended product attitude during the vertical brand extension. Advertising Research, 71, 177-198.
- Jung, B. C., & Koo, J. O. (2013). The effects of SNS messengers traits and SNS information characteristics on the purchase intention. Korean Corporation Management Review, 48, 251-272.
- Jung, S. K., Park, S. E., Kim, H. J., & Kim, J. W. (2006). A study on the mechanism of impression building through blogs: Author's intended and visitor's perceived impression oriented analysis. Proceedings of the HCI Society of Korea Conference, Korea, pp. 1835-1841.
- Jung, Y. H. (2013). The influence of characteristics(volume, consensus informant) of electric word-of-mouth on customers' choice. Broadcasting & Communication, 14(1), 47-76..
- Kaiser, S. B. (1990). The social psychology of clothing: Symbolic appearances in context (2nd ed.). New York: Macmillan.
- Kang, S. B. (2015). A qualitative research on evaluation factors of value co-creation activity by fashion and beauty prosumers. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, A. J., & Ko, E. (2010). Impacts of luxury fashion brand's social media marketing on customer relationship and purchase intention. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 1(3), 164-171. doi:10.1080/20932685.2010.10593068 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2010.10593068
- Kim, H. J., Pyo, H. S., & Han, M. J. (2011). Analysis on the influences and effects of eWOM (electronic Word of Mouth) of power blog post as a source of advertisement. Korean Journal of Advertising, 13(4), 315-362.
- Kim, J. H., & Song, M. R. (2008). Identification online opinion leaders: By diffusion power of online WOM influencer. Journal of Consumer Studies, 19(2), 93-113.
- Kim, K. K., & Im, H. K. (2002). The characteristics of impression formed and the variables influenced impression formation in computer-mediated communication. Korean Journal of Journalism & Communication Studies, 46(4), 76-106..
- Kim, Y. J., & Kim, H. Y. (2010). The effect of justice and trust on eWOM in social media marketing: Focused on power blog and meta blog. The Journal of Internet Electronic Commerce Research, 10(3), 131-155.
- Kim, S. H. (2013). Online product word-of-mouth is information whether persuade knowledge or valuable for consumers: The moderation of regulatory focus on customer purchase intention. Advertising Research, 96, 7-46..
- Klein, L. R., & Ford, G. T. (2003). Consumer search for information in the digital age: an empirical study of prepurchase search for automobiles. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 17(3), 29-49. doi: 10.1002/dir.10058 https://doi.org/10.1002/dir.10058
- Ko, E., Chun, E., Song, S., & Kim, K. H. (2013). Which content types increase participation in fashion social platforms?. Journal of Global Scholars of Marketing Science, 23(3), 297-313. doi:10.1080/21639159.2013.793503 https://doi.org/10.1080/21639159.2013.793503
- Ko, E., Kim, K. H., & Kwon, J. H. (2006). Impact of fashion On-line community characteristics on brand loyalty: comparisons among lifestyle groups. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 16(3), 87-106. doi:10.1080/12297119.2006.9707372 https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2006.9707372
- Ku, B. K. (2000a). A study on travel marketing using the internet system. Unpublished master's thesis, Kyonggi University, Suwon.
- Ku, S. H. (2000b). A study for how the difference of message recipients' brand liking influences on the effects of humorous and nonhumorous adverstising. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 11(4), 23-50.
- Ku, T. H., & Ku, Y. S. (2010). The effect of online review writing motives of internet shopping on repurchase intention and recommendation intention about fashion merchandise. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 12(2), 188-193. doi:10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.2.188 https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.2.188
- Lafferty, B. A., & Goldsmith, R. E. (1999). Corporate credibility role in consumers' attutudes and purchase intentions when a high versus a low credibility endorser is used in the ad. Journal of Business Research, 44(2), 109-116. doi:10.1016/S0148-2963(98)00002-2 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(98)00002-2
- Leary, M. R., & Kowalski, R. M. (1990). Impression management: A literature review and two-component model. Psychological Bulletin, 107(1), 34-47. doi:10.1037//0033-2909.107.1.34 https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.107.1.34
- Lee, H. J., Yae, Y. H., & Kim, J. Y. (2009). A study on the management of customer group to the sense of community in online through the web-site. Proceedings of Journal of Contents Association, Spring Conference, Korea, pp. 1200-1204.
- Lee, J. H., Doh, S. J., & Hwang, J. S. (2011). The effectiveness of online WOM(Words-of-Mouth): The role of direction, usefulness, and IR(Interaction Readiness). Korean Journal of Consumer and Advertising Psychology, 12(2), 283-307. https://doi.org/10.21074/kjlcap.2011.12.2.283
- Lee, J. H., & Lim, J. E. (2007). The effects of perceived justice on postcomplaint behavior in the open market. Korean Business Review, 8, 1-15. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2008.32.9.1427
- Lee, K. R. (2003a). The effect of salience of brand personality on bland loyalty: With emphasis on intervening variables such as brand familiarity and brand liking. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 14(2), 231-252.
- Lee, K. T. (2011). A study on effects of the negative online word-ofmouth communication. Journal of Marketing Studies, 19(4), 205-222. https://doi.org/10.1080/0965254X.2011.596268
- Lee, K. T., & Koo, D. M. (2012). Effects of attribute and valence of e-WOM on message adoption: Moderating roles of subjective knowledge and regulatory focus. Computers in Human Behavior, 28, 1974-1984. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2012.05.018 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2012.05.018
- Lee, M. H. (2003b). The effect of perceiver's fashion involvement on clothing color perception and preferences. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textile, 27(7), 851-861.
- Lee, T. M., & Park, C. (2006). Effects of direction and type of electronic word of mouth information on purchase decision: Cross-cultural comparison between Korea and U.S.. Journal of Korean Marketing Association, 21(1), 29-56..
- Liapati, G., Assiouras, I., & Decaudin, J. M. (2015). The role of fashion involvement, brand love and hedonic consumption tendency in fashion impulse purchasing. Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 6(4), 251-264. doi:10.1080/20932685.2015.1070679 https://doi.org/10.1080/20932685.2015.1070679
- Lim, H., & Shin, D. W. (2010). We want "you" to retaliate: Identity threats, group prototypes, and brand communities. Journal of Consumer Studies, 21(4), 305-336..
- McKenna, K. Y. A., & Bargh, J. A. (2000). Plan 9 from cyberspace: The implications of the internet for personality and social psychology. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 4(1), 57-75. doi:10.1207/S15327957PSPR0401_6 https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327957PSPR0401_6
- Miller, A. G. (1970). Role of physical attractiveness in impression formation. Psychonomic Science, 19(4), 241-243. doi:10.3758/BF03328797 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03328797
- Nunnally, J. (1994). Psychometric methods. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Ohanian, R. (1990). Construction and validation of a scale to measure celebrity endorsers' perceived expertise, trustworthiness, and attractiveness. Journal of Advertising, 19(3), 39-52. doi: 10.1080/00913367.1990.10673191 https://doi.org/10.1080/00913367.1990.10673191
- Paik, H., & Rhee, K. C. (2009). The conceptualization and the development of prosumer propensity scale. Journal of Consumer Studies, 20(3), 135-161.
- Park, E. A. (2007). Effects of the direction of online reviews on purchase decision: The role of product type and brand reputation. The Korean Journal of Advertising, 18(5), 7-22.
- Petty, R. E., & Cacioppo, J. T. (1984). The effects of involvement on responses to argument quantity and quality: Central and peripheral reoutes to persuasion. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 46(1), 69-81. doi:10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.206 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Petty, R. E., & Cacioppo, J. T. (1986). Communication and persuasion: Central and peripheral routes to attitude change. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Ratchford, B. T., Lee, M. S., & Talukdar, D. (2003). The impact of the internet on information search for automobiles. Journal of Marketing Research, 40(2), 193-209. doi:10.1509/jmkr.18.104.22.16821 https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.22.214.171.12421
- Shang, R. A., Chen, Y. C., & Liao, H. J. (2006). The value of participation in virtual consumer communities on brand loyalty. Internet Research, 16(4), 398-418. doi:10.1108/10662240610690025 https://doi.org/10.1108/10662240610690025
- Sherman, R. C., End, C., Kraan, E., Cole, A., Campbell, J., Klausner, J., & Birchmeier, Z. (2001). Metaperception in cyberspace. Cyber Psychology and Behavior, 4, 123-129. doi:10.1089/10949310151088497 https://doi.org/10.1089/10949310151088497
- Shin, D. H., Kim, H. K., & Kim, T. Y. (2014). Characteristics of collective participation type content utilizing SNS-A case study of social festival and social web tune-. Journal of Korea Design Knowledge, 30, 243-251.
- Segmentation of Chinese Fashion Product Consumers according to Internet Shopping Values and Their Online Word-of-Mouth and Purchase Behavior vol.18, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.3.317
- A Study on the Types of Product Review on Mobile Beauty App, Perceived Information Authenticity, Brand Attitude, Purchase Intention and e-WOM Intention vol.19, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2017.19.2.180