- Volume 18 Issue 1
This study examined consumer perceptions towards outdoor wear differentiation and product attributes for outdoor wear differentiation to develop an outdoor wear differentiation strategy. It also investigated how consumer's evaluated product attributes according to consumer's demographic characteristics. Data were acquired from a survey of 454 adult respondents aged over 20 that was analyzed with descriptives, frequency, t-test, one-way ANOVA, factor analysis, and reliability. The results were as follows. First, it showed that consumers did not have a positive or a negative perception toward outdoor wear differentiation, and they thought outdoor wear should be differentiated. Those married and older tended to think that outdoor wear should be differentiated more than that for those single and younger. Consumer evaluations were significantly different on the necessity of outdoor wear differentiation according to age and total income. Second, consumers assessed that color, pattern and textiles had similar characteristics among outdoor wear brands; in addition, brand recognition and brand image had very different characteristics. Third, product attributes for outdoor wear differentiation were service and store, product quality, brand and popularity, and product designs with mean values of product quality, product design, service and store, and brand and popularity, respectively. Fourth, consumers were significantly different in the importance assessment of product attributes for differentiation according to gender, marital status and age.
outdoor wear;differentiation strategy;consumer perceptions and evaluations;differentiation attributes
- Young Adults Forgotten Generation in Outdoor Wear. (2013, June 20). BIKE Europe. Retrieved December 4, 2015, from http://www.bikeeu.com/shows-events/nieuws/2013/6/young-adults-forgottengeneration-in-outdoor-wear-1011288
- Park, H. S. (2010). An analysis of the fashion luxury brand differentiation strategy. Journal of the Korean Society of Design Culture, 16(2), 252-262.
- Park, J. W. (2011). The study on the design strategy for sports brand differentiation-Focused on the collaboration-. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Park, J. W. (2015, April 7). Outdoor sales ; Explosive growth of outdoor has decreased. Monthly San, 546. Retrieved September 15, 2015, from http://san.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/04/07/2015040702006.html
- Park, J. Y. (2014a). Advance of China into outdoor wear market. www.FashionNetKorea.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015, from http://koreafashion.org/_html/information/fastory_view.asp?cataIdx=803&boardId=story&clientIdx=801&num=750&pageNum=1&SrchItem=&SrchWord
- Park, M. S. (2014b). The analysis on international differences regarding product relevance and visual differentiation on color design of package-Focused on the domestic and foreign beer cans in 2013-. The Treatise on the Plastic Media, 17(2), 51-62.
- Park, O. L., & Lee, J. N. (2009). A study on infant clothing purchase behavior according to the benefits in infant clothing purchases. Journal of Korean Living Science Association, 18(4), 923-932.
- Proter, M. (1985). Competitive advantage. New York: Free Press.
- Rhee, Y. J., & Lee, E. O. (2011). The qualitative study on outdoor sportswear purchase behavior-Focusing on functional fabric awareness level and benefits sought-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 19(5), 1088-1101. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2011.19.5.1088
- Rim, Y. Y. (2009). Study on differentiation strategies of a follower brand in the luxury jewelry market. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Schnaars, S. P. (1998). Marketing strategy(2nd ed.). New York: The Free Press.
- Seckler, V. (2005, August 10). The shopping experience: Service is key. Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved December 22, 2015, from http://wwd.com/beauty-industry-news/financial/the-shoppingexperience-service-is-key-566545/print-preview/
- Stamatakis, E., & Chaudhury, M. (2008). Temporal trends in adults' sports participation patterns in England between 1997 and 2006: the health survey for England. British Journal of Sports Medicine, 42(11), 901-908. doi:10.1136/bjsm.2008.048082
- Toh, W. Y. (2011). Case study on products' differentiation. Journal of Korea Society of Design Forum, 32, 31-40.
- Wray, A. Z., & Hodges, N. N. (2008). Response to activewear apparel advertisements by US baby boomers: an examination of cognitive versus chronological age factors. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management, 12(1), 8-23. doi:10.1108/13612020810857916 https://doi.org/10.1108/13612020810857916
- Yoo, H. S. (2014). Image, improvements, and wear comfort of hiking gear of adults in their 40s and 50s. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 16(2), 301-311. doi:10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.2.301 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2014.16.2.301
- Jacob, J. (2007). Surveying the present and an imagined future the quest for a bright future in the textiles and apparel professions. Clothing & Textiles Research Journal, 25(4), 349-374. doi:10.1177/0887302X07306911 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X07306911
- Kean, R. C. (1997). The role of the fashion system in fashion change: A response to the Kaiser, Nagasawa and Hutton Model. Clothing & Textiles Research Journal, 15(3), 172-177. doi:10.1177/0887302X9701500307 https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9701500307
- Kim, B. K. (2015a, August 31). Outdoor calls for a shift in generation, from hiking to bike, fishing and surfing. Hankyung. Retrieved September 12, 2015, from http://www.hankyung.com/news/app/newsview.php?aid=2015083173251
- Kim, H. J. (2003). Color characteristics and color differentiation by the segmented market of casual wear and sports wear in Korea : Focused on 1999 F/W-2002 F/W. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, J. K., Kim, B. H., & Kang, H. M. (2010). A study on positioning strategy of outdoor sportswear brand based on selected attributes evaluation. Korean Journal of Sport Management, 15(4), 13-24.
- Kim, N. (2015b, January 17). No younger brother is wiser than his older brother-Second brand's business performance was on a low level. Kukinews. Retrieved December 17, 2015, from http://news.kukinews.com/article/view.asp?arcid=0009046675&code=41171811&cp=du
- Kim, S. H. (2007). An exploratory study on the brand architecture and the in-house brand differentiation strategy of Korean apparel enterprises. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 31(4), 519-530. doi:10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.4.519 https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2007.31.4.519
- Kim, Y. D. (2005). Analysis of a major factor influencing on sports brand personality. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Lee, B. C. (2000). Study on brand strategy of indiscriminated products. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.
- Lee, J. N. (2006). Study on characteristics of purchase behavior of outdoor wear consumers. Unpublished master's thesis, Gyungsung University, Busan.
- MacGillivray, M. S., & Hann, M. A. (2003). The fashion consumer in the global marketplace. Textile Progress, 33(3), 1-47. doi:10.1080/00405160308688959
- Michman, R. D., & Mazze, E. M. (2006). The affluent consumer: marketing and selling the luxury lifestyle. New York: Praeger Publishers.
- Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy. (2015, July 23). 2015 Korea fashion market survey 2015-1st half seminar. Seoul: Ministry of Trade, Industry & Energy.
- Morrissey, M. P., & Ross, R. M. (2013). Clothing systems for outdoor activities. Textile Progress, 45(2-3), 145-181. doi:10.1080/00405167.2013.845540 https://doi.org/10.1080/00405167.2013.845540
- Paek, K. J., Hwang, Y. M., & Lee, J. R. (2013). Actual wearing conditions and attitude : An initial report on an outdoor wearing survey for man and woman in their 30s to 50s. Fashion & Textile Research Journal, 15(5), 787-796. doi:org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.5.787 https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2013.15.5.787
- An, K. H., Hwang, S. J., & Chung, C. J. (1999). Fashion marketing. Seoul:Soohaksa.
- Awm, J. G. (2003). A study on the strategy of differentiating the sports brand with the emotional change of consumers-Focused on presenting the brand identity-. Unpublished master's thesis, Sejong University, Seoul.
- Best, R. J. (2012). Market-based management : Strategies for growing customer value and profitability (6th ed.). New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Carpenter, K. (2001, July). It anywhere. Outdoor Retailer, pp. 28-33.
- Cho, S. H. (2013, June 10). Korean outdoorwear market 6400 billion won 'Big Pie. ITN new. Retrieved December 24, 2015, from http://www.itnk.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=39928
- Choe, Y. H., Sin, J., & Kim, S. H. (2003). The impact of top management, strategy and structure on performance of small and medium sized firm. The Asian Pacific Journal of Small Business, 25(2), 103-125.
- Erickson, J. (2015). China's middle class fuelling outdoor wear boom. Inside Retail.asia. Retrieved December 14, 2015, from https://insideretail.asia/2015/12/03/chinas-middle-class-fuelling-outdoor-wear-boom/
- Hong, S. U. (2012). A study of the products differentiation strategy and government support policy for the competition power improvement of Korean small and medium sized of polyurethane synthetic leather manufacturers. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- The Evaluation of Water Vapor Transport and Waterproofness Properties of the Waterproof and Breathable Fabrics vol.27, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.2.295
Supported by : 울산대학교