- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A modified Lee-Carter model based on the projection of the skewness of the mortality
왜도 예측을 이용한 Lee-Carter모형의 사망률 예측
Lee, Hangsuck;Baek, Changryong;Kim, Jihyeon
- Received : 2015.10.27
- Accepted : 2015.12.17
- Published : 2016.02.29
There have been continuous improvements in human life expectancy. Life expectancy is as a key factor in an aging population and can wreak severe damage on the financial integrity of pension providers. Hence, the projection of the accurate future mortality is a critical point to prevent possible losses to pension providers. However, improvements in future mortality would be overestimated by a typical mortality projection method using the Lee-Carter model since it underestimates the mortality index
Lee-Carter model;Longevity risk;the projection of future mortality;the mortality index;skewness
- Alho, J. (2000). Discussion of "The Lee-Carter method for forecasting mortality, with various extension and applications" by R. Lee., North American Actuarial Journal, 4, 91-93. https://doi.org/10.1080/10920277.2000.10595883
- Brouhns, N., Denuit, M., and Vermunt, J. (2002). A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables, Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, 31, 373-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6687(02)00185-3
- Cairns, A., Blake, D., and Dowd, K. (2008). Modeling and management of mortality risk: A review, Scandanavian Actuarial Journal, 2, 79-113.
- Jeong, S. H. and Kim, K. W. (2011). A comparison study for mortality forecasting models by average life expectancy, Korean Journal of Applied Statistics, 24, 115-125. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2011.24.1.115
- Joo, H. C. and Lee, H. S. (2014). The effect of mortality improvement on benefit reserves, The Journal of Risk Management, 25, 3-33.
- Kim, S. J. (2012). A study on the prediction of mortality rate using Lee-Carter model, The Journal of Actuarial Science, 4, 48-66.
- Kim, S. Y. (2011). Mortality forecasting for the republic of Korea: the Coherent Lee-Carter method, Korea Journal of Population Studies, 34, 157-177.
- Lee, R. D. and Carter, L. (1992). Modeling and forecasting US mortality, Journal of the American Statistical Association, 87, 659-671.
- Lee, R. and Miller, T. (2001). Evaluating the performance of the Lee-Carter method for forecasting mortality, Demography, 38, 537-549. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2001.0036
- Li, N. and Lee, R. (2005). Coherent mortality forecasts for a group of populations: an extension of the Lee-Carter method, Demography, 42, 575-594. https://doi.org/10.1353/dem.2005.0021
- Park, Y. S., Jang, S. W., and Kim, S. Y. (2013). VECM-LC model for forecasting mortality in Korea, The Korean Association for Survey Research, 14, 19-47.
- Vermunt, J. K. (1997). LEM: A General Program for the Analysis of Categorical Data, Department of Methodology and Statistics, Tilburg University.
Supported by : 한국연구재단