- Volume 29 Issue 1
We propose methodology to analyze the dynamic mechanisms of financial market contagion under market integration using a biological contagion analytical approach. We employ U-statistic to measure market integration, and a dynamic model based on an error correction mechanism (single equation error correction model) and latent factor model to examine market contagion. We also use quantile regression and Wald-Wolfowitz runs test to test market contagion. This methodology is designed to effectively handle heteroscedasticity and correlated errors. Our simulation results show that the single equation error correction model fits well with the linear regression model with a stationary predictor and correlated errors.
financial market contagion;interdependence;single equation error correction model;U-statistic
- Cohen, O., Ashkenazy, H., Burstein, D., and Pupko, T. (2012). Uncovering the co-evolutionary network among prokaryotic genes, Bioinformatics, 28, i389-i394. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/bts396
- Corsetti, G., Pericoli, M. and Sbracia, M. (2005). 'Some contagion, some interdependence': More pitfalls in tests of financial contagion, Journal of International Money and Finance, 24, 1177-1199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jimonfin.2005.08.012
- Durr, R. H. (1992). An essay on cointegration and error correction models, Political Analysis, 4, 185-228. https://doi.org/10.1093/pan/4.1.185
- Engle, R. F. and Granger C. W. J. (1987). Co-integration and error 4 correction: Representation, estimation and testing, Econometrica, 55, 251-276. https://doi.org/10.2307/1913236
- Forbes, K. and Rigobon, R. (2002). No contagion, only interdependence: Measuring stock market comovements, Journal of Finance, 43, 2223-2261.
- Kim, T. Y., Ha, J., Hwang, S. Y., Park, C. and Luo, Z. (2013). Central limit theorems for reduced U-statistics under dependence and their usefulness, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics, 55, 387-399. https://doi.org/10.1111/anzs.12045
- Lehkonens, H. (2014). Stock market integration and global financial crisis, Review of Finance, published online, doi: 10.1093/rof/rfu039. https://doi.org/10.1093/rof/rfu039
- Maddala, G. S. and Kim, I. M. (2003). Unit Roots, Cointegration and Structural Change, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Supported by : 서울대학교 경영대학 증권 금융연구소 투자연구교육센터