- Volume 43 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Single-dose oral toxicity study of genetically modified silkworm expressing EGFP protein in ICR mouse
Jang, Kyung-Min;Kim, Sung-Gun;Park, Ji-Young;Choi, Won-Ho;Lee, Jae-Woo;Jegal, Hyeon-Young;Kweon, Soon-Jong;Choi, Kwang-Ho;Park, Jung-Ho
- Received : 2015.11.09
- Accepted : 2016.01.28
- Published : 2016.03.31
Silk has had a reputation as a luxurious and sensuous fabric but it is not popular due to the expensive price and poor durability. To develop the silk materials that apply the various industries, the artificially synthesized gene can be introduced into the silkworm and expressed in the silk gland. Transgenic silkworms for the mass production of green fluorescent silks are generated using a fibroin H-chain expression system. For commercial use, safety assessment of the transgenic silkworms is essential. The purpose of this study was to examine the potential acute oral toxicity of EGFP protein expressed in genetically modified (GM) fluorescence silkworm and to obtain the approximative lethal dose in the male and female at 6-weeks ICR mice. EGFP protein was fed at a dose of 2,000 mg/kg body weight in five male or five female mice. Mortalities, clinical findings and body weight changes were monitored for 1, 3, 7, 14 days after dosing. At the end of 14 day observation period, all mice were sacrificed, and the postmortem necropsy were performed. The test group was not observed death case. Also the effect was not admitted by test substance administration in common symptoms, the body weight and postmortem. The results of single-dose oral toxicity test showed that approximative lethal dose of EGFP protein expressed in fluorescence silkworm was considered to exceed the 2,000 mg/kg body weight in both sexes.
EGFP;ICR mice;silkworm;single-dose toxicity study
- Arun KHS, Kaul CL, Ramarao P. 2005. Green fluorescent proteins in receptor research: an emerging tool for drug discovery. Journal of Pharmacological and Toxicological Methods 51(1):1-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vascn.2004.07.006
- Cinelli RA, Ferrari A, Pellegrini V, Tyagi M, Giacca M, Beltram F. 2000. The enhanced green fluorescent protein as a tool for the analysis of protein dynamics and localization: local fluorescence study at the single-molecule level. Photochemistry and Photobiology 71(6):771. https://doi.org/10.1562/0031-8655(2000)0710771TEGFPA2.0.CO2
- Imamura M, Nakai J, Inoue S, Quan GX, Kanda T, Tamura T. 2003. Targeted gene expression using the GAL4/UAS system in the silkworm Bombyx mori. Genetics 165(3):1329-1340.
- Joo KI, Wang P. 2008. Visualization of targeted transduction by engineered lentiviral vectors. Gene Therapy 15(20):1384-1396. https://doi.org/10.1038/gt.2008.87
- Kim SW, Kang MU, Kang SW, Yun EY, Choi KH, Kim SR, Park SW, Nho SK, Goo TW. 2013a. Modification of the commercial silkworm eggs adequate for silkworm transgenesis. Journal of Sericultural and Entomological Science 51(1):73-77. https://doi.org/10.7852/jses.2013.51.1.73
- Kim SW, Yun EY, Choi KH, Kim SR, Park SW, Kang SW, Goo TW. 2013b. Production of fluorescent green silk using fibroin H-chain expression system. Journal of Sericultural and Entomological Science 51(2):1-6. https://doi.org/10.7852/jses.2013.51.1.1
- Kwon MS, Koo BC, Choi BR, Lee HT, Kim YH, Ryu WS, Shim H, Kim JH, Kim NH, Kim T. 2004. Development of transgenic chickens expressing enhanced green fluorescent protein. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 320(2):442-448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2004.05.197
- Lee WC, Kim I. 2000. The strategy for the development of bio-resources utilizing sericultural products and insects. International Journal of Industrial Entomology 1(2):95-102.
- OECD 2001. OECD Guideline for Testing of Chemicals. Acute Oral ToxicityAcute Toxic Class. Test guideline 423.
- OECD 2002. Test No. 420: Acute Oral Toxicity - Fixed Dose Procedure, OECD Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, Section 4, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- Piao Y, Kim SW, Kim SR, Kim KY, Kang SW, Goo TW, Choi KH. 2014. Development of the transgenic silkworm producing a improved green fluorescence cocoon. Journal of Sericultural and Entomological Science, 52(2):117-122. https://doi.org/10.7852/jses.2014.52.2.117
- Prudhomme JC, Couble P. 2002. Perspectives in silkworm (Bombyx mori) transgenesis. Current Science 83(4):432.
- Satoshi T, Naoki T, Itoh K, Takuya S, Masahiro S, Hideyuki Y. 2007. Silk protein sericin improves mammalian cell culture. In cell technology for cell products 397-401.
- Sim JY, Kim JH, Ahn YB, Song KH, Han JH, Cha BY, Lee SK, Moon SD. 2009. Treatment of type 1 diabetes through genetically engineered K-cell transplantation in a mouse model. Korean Diabetes Journal 33:466-474. https://doi.org/10.4093/kdj.2009.33.6.466
- Tamura T, Thibert T, Royer C, Kanda T, Eappen A, Kamba M, Pierre C. 2000. Germline transformation of the silkworm Bombyx mori L. using a piggyBac transposon-derived vector. Nature Biotechnology 18:81-84. https://doi.org/10.1038/71978
Supported by : 농촌진흥청