- Volume 43 Issue 1
Improving farming activity competence of farm households has recently been considered one of the most important factors for increasing farm income. However, few studies examine the relationship between farm income and farming activity competence of farm households directly due to the lack of an available dataset. In this study, we examine the relationship between farm household technical managerial competence and farm household income based on the nearly 30,000 farm households consulting data gathered by the Rural Development Administration, RDA. The major findings of this study are as follows: firstly, statistically significant differences in agricultural and farm household income exist between farm households categorized by farm activity competence levels in terms of technique and management. Secondly, a technically and managerially competent farm household group (high-rank farm household) has 2.2 times higher agricultural income and 1.9 times higher farm household income than the technically and managerially incompetent farm household group (low-rank farm household). Thirdly, farm household technical-managerial competence is one of the major factors that affect agricultural and farm household income. Regarding technical competence, agricultural income and farm household income increased by approximately 1,390,000 won and 1,530,000 won, respectively, as technical points increased by one point. However, with respect to managerial competence, agricultural income and farm household income increased by approximately 1,320,000 won and 2,070,000 won, respectively, as managerial points increased by one point.
agricultural income;farming capability;farm household income
- Choi YB. 1978. A study on the increasing of korean farm income. Journal of Rural Development 1(1):109-120. [in Korean]
- Choi JH, Ko SN. 2005. Determinants of farm household income in korea. Korea Industrial Economics Association 18(3):1141-1146. [in Korean]
- Hwang ES, Kang HJ. 2006. Analysis of farm income variation by farm typology in case of free trade agreements(FTA) settlement. Journal of Rural Development 29(2):1-15. [in Korean]
- Hwang YM, Soh SY. 2011. The impact of leadership on the activational organization and income generation at agricultural producing organization. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 38(4):731-755. [in Korean]
- Jung JH, Cho HJ. 2013. The effect of schooling of farm household members on household income. Journal of Agricultural Education and Human Resource Development 45(1):1-23. [in Korean]
- Kang BS, Moon PY. 1997. Analysis of factors affecting farm income. Korea Development Institute. [in Korean]
- Kang HJ, Seo JS, Jo KD. 2011. Estimating farm income increases after participating agricultural educations. Journal of Rural Development 34(4):25-40. [in Korean]
- Kim JA, Chae JH. 2009. Analysis on income decision factor by farmhouse type. Korean Industrial Economic Association 22(4):1641-1658. [in Korean]
- Korea Rural Economic Institute. 2012. The outlook and policy task in korean agriculture.
- Kwon OS, Kang HJ. 2008. Absolute and relative convergence in farm income. The Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics 49(2):99-117. [in Korean]
- Lim HB, Park JY, Lee GO. 2009. Effect of educational program for farmers on the farmer's income. Journal of Agricultural Extension and Community Development 16(1):69-98. [in Korean]
- Nam SY, Cho JK, Lee SW. 2006. The effects of eco-friendly farming and digital competence on agricultural income. Journal of Rural Development 29(5):45-62. [in Korean]
- Park JK, Moon HP, Kim YT. 2004. Decomposing inequality of the farm household income. Journal of Rural Development 27(4):15-27. [in Korean]
- Seo JS, Kim SH, Cho KD, Kang HJ. 2009. Analysis on the factor of success cases for high-income leading farm. Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics 50(3):19-35. [in Korean]
- Seo JS, Cho KD, Kang HJ, Kim JW. 2011. An effect of farm education on farm income. Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics 52(4):19-48. [in Korean]
- Statistics Korea. 2013. Household Survey.
- Statistics Korea. 2013. Farm and Fishery Household Economic Survey.
- Yang. D. T(1997), "Education in production: measuring labor quality and management" American Journal of Agricultural Economics 79:764-772. https://doi.org/10.2307/1244418
- An Analysis of the Management Performance of GCM Farm in Chonnam based on the Multifaceted Approach vol.26, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11625/KJOA.2018.26.1.1
Supported by : 한국연구재단