- Volume 43 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
An importance-performance analysis of using farmers in a rice co-nursery : Focus on the East Gunsan Agricultural Cooperative
Han, Sang-Don;Yun, Sung-Hwan;Jang, Dong-Heon
- Received : 2016.01.26
- Accepted : 2016.03.07
- Published : 2016.03.31
With an aging population in rural areas, farm owners in South Korea are also aging. In particular, this phenomenon leads to the lack of human resources in rural areas and agriculture, worsening the deterioration of the rural economy. This study aimed, firstly, to analyze the criticality of the lack of human resources and high production cost issues for farmers, before using the farm as cooperative nursery of rice seedlings. Secondly, the study analyzed farmer satisfaction after using the farm cooperative. Analysis results are as follows. The motives of the research subjects for using the co-nursery were the aging of the farming population, the expected reduction of production costs, and farmers' failure in raising seedlings. Importance-performance analysis measured the importance for the farms for cooperative raising of rice seedling at 3.49 and the performance for the farms at 3.41, with a difference of 0.07 between them. The four importance-performance matrix areas, used were as follows: concentrated efforts required (Quadrant I: concentrate here), continuous maintenance (Quadrant II: keep up the good work), gradual improvement (Quadrant III: low priority), and avoiding excessive efforts (Quadrant IV: possible overkill). Based on the results, it was concluded that improvements and efforts would be necessary for each of these areas. And, there is a need to improve services through the initiation of farmer use of this rice co-nursery.
importance-performance analysis;rice co-nursery;using farmer
- Ahn SY, Kwon YD. 2015. An analysis of determinants of non-farming income activities of female farmers: focused on female farmers of chungnam area. Journal of Agricultural Science 42(3):277-283.
- Azzopardi E, Nash R. 2013. A critical evaluation of importance-performance analysis. Tourism Management 35:222-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2012.07.007
- Chae SH, Hwang SH. 2014. Plug seedling production operations practices and implications of the local national agricultural cooperative federation. CEO Focus 341:1-21.
- Choi CH, Noh KM, Lee KC, Kim JM. 1996. Study on automation of integrated seedling production system. Journal of Bio Systems Engineering 21(2):123-133.
- Duke C, Persia M. 1996. Performance-importance analysis of escorted tour evaluations. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing 5(3):207-233. https://doi.org/10.1300/J073v05n03_03
- East-Gunsan Agricultural Cooperative. 2015. Manual of the cooperative raising of seedling.
- Ferreira HP, Fernandes PO. 2015. Importance-performance analysis applied to a laboratory supplies and equipment company. Procedia Computer Science 64:824-831. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2015.08.634
- Han AR, Han J, Lee IJ, Jang DH. 2015. Analysis on factors of importance and performance in terms of securing customers of farm restaurants. Journal of Korean Society of Rural Planning 21(2):163-175. https://doi.org/10.7851/ksrp.2015.21.2.163
- Jang DH, Lee SH, Yu CJ. 2013. Importance-performance analysis of farmers using livestock liquid manure. Korea Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 40(3):703-725.
- Keyt JC, Yavas U, Riecken G. 1994. Importance-performance analysis: a case study in restaurant positioning. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management 22(5):35-40. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590559410067325
- Ko MY, Yang PS, Ko KS. 2011. A study of the importance-performance of duty free shopping tourists. Korean Journal of Tourism Research 26(2):1-20.
- Kwon EJ, Kwon YH, Park JK. 2012. A comparison study of walking tourist's selection attributes at national park using the importance-performance analysis. Journal of Tourism Studies 24(3):91-112.
- Lee HS. 2015. Measurement of visitors' satisfaction with public zoos in korea using importance-performance analysis. Tourism Management 47(5):251-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2014.10.006
- MAFRA(Ministry of agriculture, food and rural affairs). 2015a. Major statistics of the agriculture, forestry and fishery.
- MAFRA(Ministry of agriculture, food and rural affairs). 2015b. Results of the agriculture, forestry and fishery survey in 2014.
- Martilla JA, James JC. 1977. Importance-performance analysis. Journal of Marketing 41(1):77-79. https://doi.org/10.2307/1250495
- Noh KS. 2014. SPSS & AMOS 21. Hanbit Academy Inc, Seoul, Korea.
- Sohn JM, Kim HS. 2014. A study on the food service quality of japanese restaurants using the importance-performance analysis(ipa). Korean Journal of Culinary Research 20(2):199-213.
- Song JJ. 2011. SPSS/AMOS Statistical analysis method. 21cbook, Paju, Korea.