- Volume 29 Issue 1
Objectives: The purpose of this systematic review was to overview and evaluate the effectiveness of fumigation treatment for women with atrophic vaginitis. Methods: We searched articles from Pubmed, Chinese Academic Journals (CAJ) and Oasis online databases. Searching keywords were ‘fumigation’, ‘atrophic vaginitis’, ‘vaginitis’, ‘阴道炎’, ‘膣炎’, ‘老年性 阴道炎’, ‘坐熏’, ‘熏洗’, ‘熏浴’, ‘좌훈요법’, ‘질염’, ‘위축성질염’. After searching the articles, we performed quality assessment using Cochrane risk of bias (RoB) tool. Results: Among the 142 articles were searched, 5 randomized controlled clinical trials (RCTs) were finally selected. All of 5 studies showed that fumigation treatment has significant effect on atrophic vaginitis in terms of the effectiveness rate, but 3 studies were not statistically significant. Conclusions: Our systematic review found encouraging but limited evidence of fumigation therapy for atrophic vaginitis. We recommend clinical trials which obtain stronger evidence without the demerits of trial design.
atrophic vaginitis;fumigation;systematic review;Phellodendri Cortex;Cnidii Fructus
- Castelo-Branco C, et al. Management of post-menopausal vaginal atrophy and atrophic vaginitis. J. Maturitas. 2005;52:46-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2005.06.014
- Kim SY, et al. NECA's guidance for undertaking systematic reviews and meta-analyses for intervention. 1st edition. Seoul:National Evidence-based Healthcare Collaborating Agency. 2011: 65-91.
- Tami P. Atrophic vaginitis : signs, symptoms, and better outcomes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 2011; 7(6):502-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2010.08.016
- Stika CS. Atrophic vaginitis. Dermatol Ther. 2010;23(5):514-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1529-8019.2010.01354.x
- Shin GH. Hanbangoeyongyak, Seoul: Yeollinchaekdeul. 1994:100.
- The Society of Korean Medicine Obstetrics and Gynecology. Oriental obstetrics & gynecology Ha. 1st edition. Seoul: Euiseongdang. 2012:133, 139, 143-5, 277.
- Kim MY, et al. A Study on Heart Rate Variability(HRV) of Women with Atrophic Vaginitis. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2015;28(3): 11-20. https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2015.28.3.011
- Heo SJ, et al. A study on urinary incontinence, interstitial cystitis, atrophic viginitis of eldery women using senior welfere center and nursing home and the cognition of traditional korean medicine. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2010;23(3): 123-38.
- Heo J. Donguibogam. Seoul:Hanmiuihak. 2001:493, 495, 626.
- Jang GB. Gyeongakjeonseo. Seoul: Jeongdam. 1999:633, 647, 741, 743, 746, 776-7.
- Chae MS, et al. Study on Satisfaction and Features of Patient Groups Treated with Korean Medicine ChaeSteam Therapy (KMST) at Korean Medicine Hospital. The Journal of Oriental Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2014;27(3):28-40.
- Liu MR, et al. Chinese obstetrics & gynecology. 2nd edition. Beijing: Renminweishengchubanshe. 2007:73-5.
- Kim JG. Management of menopausal women. 3rd edition. Seoul:Kunja publisher. 2007:103-6.
- Lee KO, et al. Effects of Artemisia A. Smoke(Ssukjahun) on Menstrual Distress, Dysmenorrhea, and Prostaglandin F2α. Korean J Women Health Nurs. 2009; 15(2):150-9. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.150
- Shon IS. The effect of the herb fumigation therapy on the relief of premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea. Graduate School of Catholic University of Pusan. 2005.
- Feng DN, Sun YM. Clinical study of chinese traditional herbal medicine fumigation treatment on 57 cases of senile vaginitis. Medical Journal of Communications. 2007;21(4):440-1.
- Lyu HX, Lyu HL, Qi Y. Correlation between vaginal cleanliness classification and vaginal environment. China Prac Med. 2015;10(19):41-2.
- Li FL. Clinical study of chinese traditional herbal medicine external treatment on 143 cases of senile vaginitis. Jiangsu Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2003;24(6):40.
- Xu GQ, et al. Analysis of clinical effect of wash and steaming with Chinese traditional herbal medicine in treating 71 senile vaginitis patients. Journal of Henan University. 2003; 22(2):27-8.
- Gao YL, Gao MJ. Clinical study of traditional chinese herbal medicine fumigation treatment on 70 cases of senile vaginitis. Asia-Pacific Traditional Medicine. 2007;11(3):61-2.
- Chen H, Yang Y. Analysis of clinical effect of fumigation treatment with ginseng leaf in treating senile vaginitis patients. Journal of Practical Traditional Chinese Medicine. 2014;30(8):756-7.
- Han YM, Kim JH. Antifungal Effect of Obacunone on Candida albicans. Yakhakhoeji. 2013;57(6):383-7.
- Jang JH. Anti-inflammatory Effect of Phellodendri Cortex Extract. Graduate School of Kyungwon University. 2010.
- The compilation committee of Herbology. Herbology. Seoul:Younglim publisher. 2008:221-2, 627-8.
- Si TY, Yang JL. Gynecology Medical Practice in Chinese Medicine Ha. 2nd edition. Beijing:Renminweishengchubanshe. 2007:281-320.
- Li YY, et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Gynecology in Chinese and Western Medicine Ha. 2nd edition. Beijing: Zhongguozhongyiyechubamshe. 2005: 248-9.
- Campos AA, et al. Comparative study between the pH test and of the KOH versus Nugent score for diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis in pregnant women. Rev Bras Ginecol Obstet. 2012;34(5): 209-14. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-72032012000500004
- Lee DK, et al. The short-term effect of black cohosh on vaginal atrophy and safety in postmenopausal women. Korean Journal of obstetrics and gynecology. 2007;50(2):306-13.
- The Clinical Study on 2 Cases of Atrophic Vaginitis in Menopausal Women vol.29, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15204/jkobgy.2016.29.1.092