- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Performance Analysis of Stabilizer Fin Applied Coanda System
코안다 시스템이 장착된 안정기용 핀의 성능해석
- Received : 2015.11.02
- Accepted : 2016.02.18
- Published : 2016.02.28
Stabilizer fins are installed on each side of a ship to control its roll motion. The most common stabilizer fin is a rolling control system that uses the lift force on the fin surface. If the angle of attack of a stabilizer fin is zero or the speed is zero, it cannot control the roll motion. The Coanda effect is well known to generate lift force in marine field. The performance of stabilizer fin that applies the Coanda effect has been verified by model tests and numerical simulations. It was found that a stabilizer fin that applied the Coanda effect at Cj = 0.085 and a zero angle of attack exactly coincided with that of the original fin at α = 26°. In addition, the power needed to generate the Coanda effect was not high compared to the motor power of the original stabilizer fin.
Stabilizer fin;Active control;Coanda system;Jet momentum
- Chae, G.H., Kim, Y.B., 2003. An Experimental Study on the Rolling Motion Control of a Ship Based on LMI Approach. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 17(2), 60-66.
- Cho, C.J., Lim, K.Y., 2011. A Digital Fin Stabilizer Controller Design for Reduction of Ship Rolling in Waves. Proceedings of the KIEE Conference, 1742-1743.
- Cho, S.K., Hong, S.Y., Jang, T. S., 2004. Experiment and Simulation Study on Performance and Design of Fin-Stabilizer. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 41(6), 1-7.
- Hong, S.J., Lee, S.H., 2004. A Study on the Flow Characteristics around a Conada Control Surface. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 8(2), 13-19.
- Gale, M.C., 1998. Stop Abusing Bernoulli! -How Airplanes Really Fly. Regenerative Press.
- Jin, H.Z., Yu, W., Qi, Z.G., Jin, G., 2006. Study on lift generation of Weis-Fogh Flapped Fin Stabilizer at Zero Speed. SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference. 1521-1524.
- Ju Y., Kim Y.J., Ha, Y., 2015. Experimental Study on the Period Control of an U-tube Type Anti-Rolling Tank by using a Double Layer Duct. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 52(2), 135-142. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2015.52.2.135
- Kim, Y.B., Byun, J.H., Yang, J.H., 2000. An Experimental Study on the Development of the Anti-Rolling Control System for a Ship. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 14(4), 43-48.
- Lee, S.J., 2014. A Study on the Lift Augmentation of a Fixed Type Fin Stabilizer with Coanda Effect. Master's Thesis, Inha University, Korea.
- Moon, S.J., Jeong, J.A., Yoon, H.K., Lee, G.J., Ann, S.P., 2005. An Experimental Study on Mass Driving Anti-Rolling System for Ships. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 42(6), 666-672. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2005.42.6.666
- Park, J.J., Lee, S.H., 2000. A Numerical Study on a Circulation Control Foil using Coanda Effect. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 37(2), 70-76.
- Seo, D.W., Jeong, S.W., Lee, S.H., 2007. Influence of Tail Blades on the Performance of a Fin. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 44(2), 55-63. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2007.44.2.055
- Seo, D.W., Kim, J.H., Lee, S.H., 2008. On the Influence of End Plates upon the Tip Vortex Cavitation Characteristics of a Fin Stabilizer. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 45(1), 18-28. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2008.45.1.18
- Seo, D.W., Lee, S.H., 2011. A Numerical Study for Design of a Fixed Type Fin Stabilizer Utilizing the Coanda Effect. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 48(2), 113-120. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2011.48.2.113
- Seo, D.W., 2011. A Study on the Performance of a High Lift Marine Rudder Implementing the Coanda Effect. Doctoral Thesis, Inha University, Korea.
- Won, M.C., Ryu, S.H., Choi, K.S., Jung, Y.H., Lew, J.M., Ji, Y.J., 2010. Development of Control System for Anti- Rolling Tank of Ships with Fault Detection Capability. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 24(3), 64-71.