- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Friction Welding Conditions for Production of Hose Nipple for Marine Transport
해양 수송용 호스니플 제작을 위한 마찰용접 조건의 최적화
- Received : 2016.01.15
- Accepted : 2016.02.16
- Published : 2016.02.28
In this study, for the tube-to-tube friction welding of hose nipple materials, the main parameters of friction welding were investigated using tensile tests, Vickers hardness surveys of the bond area (HAZ), and observations of the microstructure to increase the quality of friction welding based on visual examination. As-welded and post weld heat treated (PWHT) specimens were tested. The optimal welding conditions were found to be n = 1000 rpm, HP = 10 MPa, UP = 15 MPa, HT = 9 s, and UT = 5 s when the metal loss (Mo) was 7.5 mm. Furthermore, the peak of the hardness distribution of the friction welded joints could be eliminated by PWHT. Moreover, the two materials of the friction weld were thoroughly mixed with a well-combined structure of micro-particles, without any molten material, particle growth, or defects.
Friction welding;Post weld heat treatment(PWHT);As welded;Base metal(BM);Heat affected zone(HAZ);Weld interface(WI);Welding condition
- American Welding Society (AWS) 1989. Recommended Practices for Friction Welding. ANSI/AWS C6. 1-89.
- Irvinh, B., 1993. Sparks Begin to Fly in Nonconventional Friction Welding and Surfacing. Welding Journal, 72(5), 37-40.
- Cho, H.S., Suh, S.J., 1997. Friction Welding of Inconel 713C and SCM440. Journal of KWS, 15(6), 78-84.
- Jeong, H.S., Shinoda, T., 1997. Fundamental and Basic Application of Friction Welding. Journal of KWS, 15(6), 1-12.
- Kang, S.B., Min, T.K., 1998. A Study on the Friction Weldability of Carbon Steel(S45C) to Aluminum Alloy(A6063). Journal of the Korean Welding Society, 16(2), 57-63.
- Kong Y.S., Ahn, S.H., 2012. Optimization of Friction Welding for Motor Vehicle Safety Belts: Part 1-Mechanical Properties and Microstructure. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 26(1), 64-69.
- Kong Y.S., Lee, J.K., 2013. Application of Acoustic Emission Technique and Friction Welding for Excavator Hose Nipple. Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, 33(5), 436-442. https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2013.33.5.436
- Kong Y.S., Park, Y.W., 2013. Mechanical Property and Process Variables Optimization of Tube-to-Tube Friction Welding for Steel Pipe with 36mm External Diameter. Journal of the Korean Society for Nondestructive Testing, 33(5), 436-442. https://doi.org/10.7779/JKSNT.2013.33.5.436
- Kong, Y.S., Yoon, S.P., Kim, S.J., 2010. Mechanical Properties of Friction Welded SM45C-SF45 Joints for Automobile Reverse Idle Gear Shaft Applications. Transactions of the KSME A, 34(1), 85-90.
- Lee, B.S., Kong, Y.S., Kim, S.J., 2005. Dissimilar Friction Welding for Marine Shock Absorber Steels and its Evaluation by Acoustic Emission. 19(1), 44-48.
- Mary, C., Jahazi, M., 2006. Linear Friction Welding of IN718 Process Optimization and Microstructure Evolution. Advanced Materials Research, 15, 357-362.
- Oh, S.K., Kim, B.A., Kim, S.J., Nam, S.H., 1988. A Study on Friction Welding of SM45C to SCM4 Steel Bars and the Fatigue Properties. Journal of Ocean Engineering and Technology, 2(2), 312-321.
- Suh, C.M., Suh, D.Y., Lee, D.J., 1995. A Study on Fatigue Strength in the Friction Welded Joints of HSS-Co to SM 55C Catbon Steel(1). Transactions of the KSME A, 19(4), 918-928.