- Volume 21 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Identifications of Optimal Conditions for Photo-Fenton Reaction in Water Treatment
수중 유기물처리를 위한 광펜톤반응의 최적조건 도출
- Received : 2015.12.07
- Accepted : 2015.12.09
- Published : 2016.02.28
Fenton is the reaction using the OH· radicals generating by interaction between hydrogen peroxide and Fe2+ which can oxidize the contaminants. Fe2+ ions are oxidized to Fe3+ ions by reaction with H2O2 and formed OH· radicals. UV-Fenton process includes the additional reaction that generates the OH· radicals by photodegradation of H2O2. In methylorange (MO) decolourization experiment with UV-Fenton, optimal Fe2+: H2O2 ratio was obtained at 1 : 10. Based on the obtained condition (H2O2= 10mM, Fe2+ = 1 mM) with/without UV-fenton experiment was carried out. Removal efficiency and sludge production were measured at 30 min. The case of w/o UV irradiation and only H2O2 was hardly treated and only Fe2+ showed 65% removal owing to coagulation. When UV-Fenton process in optimal ratio (Fe2+: H2O2 = 1 : 10), UV irradiation showed better removal efficiency than of w/o UV irradiation. Also, MO decolourization was a function of the hydrogen peroxide concentration (x1), Fe2+:H2O2 ratio (x2), and numbers of UV lamp (x3) from the application of the response surface methodology. Statistical results showed the order of significance of the independent variables to be hydrogen peroxide concentration > numbers of UV l amp > Fe2+: H2O2 ratio.
Fenton;UV;Response surface mothodology
- Arslan, I., 2001, Treatability of a simulated disperse dye-bath by ferrous iron coagulation, ozonation, and ferrous iron-catalyzed ozonation, J. Hazard. Mater., 85(3), 229-241. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3894(01)00232-1
- Antonio, Z. and Roberto, L., 2014, Evaluation of UV/H2O2 advanced oxidation process (AOP) for the degradation of diazo dye Reactive Green 19 in aqueous solution, Desalin. Water Treat., 52, 1571-1577. https://doi.org/10.1080/19443994.2013.787553
- An, S.W., Yoo, J.Y., Choi, J.Y., and Park, J.W., 2010, Adsorption characterization of Cd by activated carbon containing hydroxyapatite using response surface methodology (RSM), J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 25(6), 943-950.
- An, S.W., Jeong, Y.C., Yoo, J.Y., Min, J.E., Lee, S.J. and Park, J.W., 2013, Optimal condition of operation parameter for livestock carcass leachate using Fenton oxidation process, J. Soil Groundw. Environ., 18(1), 26-35.
- Cho, I.H., Lee, N.H., Chang, S.W., An, S.W., Yoon, Y.H. and Zoh, K.D., 2007, Analysis of removal characteristics and optimization of livestock wastewater using a factorial design in the coagulation process, J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 23(1), 111-121.
- David, A., Wink, Raymond, W.N., Joseph, E.S., William, E.U., Jr and Peter, C.F., 1994, The Fenton oxidation mechanism: Reactivities of biologically relevant substrates with two oxidizing intermediates differ from those predicted for the hydroxyl radical, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A., 91, 6604-6608. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.91.14.6604
- Fereidouni, M., Daneshi, A., and Younesi, H., 2009, Biosorption equilibria of binary Cd(II) and Ni(II) systems onto Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Ralstonia eutropha cells: Application of response surface methodology, J. Hazard. Mater., 168, 1437-1448. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.03.041
- Karthikeyan, S., Titus, A., Gnanamani, A., Mandal, A.B. and Sekaran, G., 2011, Treatment of textile wastewater by homogeneous and heterogeneous Fenton oxidation processes, Desalination, 281, 438-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2011.08.019
- Song, W.Y. and Jang, S.W., 2009, The study of statistical optimization of NDMA treatment using UV-process, J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 25(1), 96-101.
- Kim, T.H., Park, C.H., Yang, J.M. and Kim, S.Y., 2004, Comparison of disperse and reactive dye removalsby chemical coagulation and Fenton oxidation, J. Hazard. Mater., B112, 95-103.
- Neyens, E. and Baeyens, J., 2003, A review of classic Fenton’s peroxidation as an advanced oxidation technique, J. Hazrd. Mater., B98, 33-50.
- Romero, V., Acevedo, S., Marco, P., Giménez, J. and Esplugas, S., 2016, Enhancement of Fenton and photo-Fenton processes at initial circumneutral pH for the degradation of the β-blocker metoprolol, Water Res., 88, 449-457. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2015.10.035
- Sun, J.H., Sun., S.P., Fan, M.H., Guo, H.Q., Qiao, L,P. and Sun, R.X., 2007, A kinetic study on the degradation of p-nitroaniline by Fenton oxidation process, J. Hazard. Mater., 148, 172-177. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.02.022
- Yang, D. and Casey, M.E., 2011, Sulfate radical-advanced oxidation process (SR-AOP) for simultaneous removal of refractory organic contaminants and ammonia in landfill leachate, Water Res., 45, 6189-6194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2011.09.015