- Volume 25 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Prediction and Verification of Lateral Joining Strength for Tapered-Hole Clinching using the Taguchi Method
다구찌 기법을 이용한 이종재료 경사 홀 클린칭 접합부 수평 방향 접합강도 예측 및 검증
- Received : 2015.09.21
- Accepted : 2015.11.12
- Published : 2016.02.01
Fiber metal laminates (FMLs) are well known for improved fatigue strength, better impact resistance, superior damage tolerance and slow crack growth rate compared to traditional metallic materials. However, defects and loss of strength of a composite material can occur due to the vertical load from the punch during the joining with a dissimilar material using a conventional clinching method. In the current study, tapered-hole clinching was an alternative process used to join Al 5052 and FMLs. The tapered hole was formed in the FML before the joining. For the better understanding of static and dynamic characteristics, a clinched joining followed by a tensile-shear test was numerically simulated using the finite element analysis. The design parameters were also evaluated for the geometry of the tapered hole by the Taguchi method in order to improve and compare the lateral joining strength of the clinched joint. The influence of the neck thickness and the undercut were evaluated and the contribution of each design parameter was determined. Then, actual experiments for the joining and tensile-shear test were conducted to verify the results of the numerical simulations. In conclusion, the appropriate combination of the design parameters can improve the joining strength and the cross-sections of the tapered-hole clinched joint formed in the actual experiments were in good agreement with the results of the numerical simulations.
Fiber Metal Laminates;Tapered-hole Clinching;Taguchi Method;Lateral Joining Strength
- M. R. Abdullah, Y. Prawoto, W. J. Cantwell, 2015, Interfacial Fracture of the Fiber-metal Laminates Based on Fibre Reinforced Thermoplastics, Mater. Des., Vol. 66, pp. 446~452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2014.03.058
- J. J. C. Remmers, R. de Borst, 2001, Delamination Buckling of Fiber-metal Laminates. Compos. Sci. Technol., Vol. 61, No, 15, pp. 2207~2213. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-3538(01)00114-2
- H. S. Choi, H. S. Roh, G. H. Kang, M. S. Ha, 2004, Study on the Thermo-Mechanical Behaviors of Fiber Metal Laminates Using the Classical Lamination Theory, Trans. Kor. Soc. Mech. Eng., Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 394~401. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2004.28.4.394
- S. J. Kim, T. U. Kim, S. Kim, 2014, The Study on Structural Performance of Fiber Metal Laminates, Kor. Aerospace Research Institute, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 20~26.
- J. C. Jeong, S. H. Cho, H. J. Cho, K. B. Shin, S. H. Yoon, 2004, Evaluation for Joint Performance of the Hybrid Composite Carbody Structure, Kor. Soc. Compos. Mater., pp. 185~188.
- J. Mucha, W. Witkowski, 2014, The Clinching Joints Strength Analysis in the Aspects of Chances in the Forming Technology and Load Conditions, Thin. Wall. Struct., Vol. 82, pp. 55~66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2014.04.001
- K. Mori, Y. Abe, T. Kato, 2012, Mechanism of Superiority of Fatigue Strength for Aluminum Alloy Sheets Joined by Mechanical Clinching and Self-pierce Riveting, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 212, No. 9, pp. 1900~1905. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2012.04.017
- J. Varis, 2006, Economics of Clinched Joint Compared to Riveted Joint and Example of Applying Calculations to a Volume Product, J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 172, No. 1, pp. 130~138. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.09.009
- M. Oudjene, L. Ben-Ayed, 2008, On the Parametrical Study of Clinch Joining of Metallic Sheets using the Taguchi Method, Eng. Struct., Vol. 30, No. 6, pp. 1782~1788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.10.017
- J. Y. Kim, C. J. Lee, S. K. Lee, D. C. Ko, B. M. Kim, 2009, Effect of Shape Parameters of Tool Improvement of Joining Strength in Clinching, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 392~400. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSPP.2009.18.5.392
- D. S. Kang, B. E. Lee, E. T. Park, J. Kim, B. S. Kang, W. J. Song, 2015, Numerical Study for the Improvement of Tapered-hole Clinching Joint Strength of Fiber Metal Laminates and Aluminum 5052 using the Taguchi Method, Trans. Mater. Process., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 37~43. https://doi.org/10.5228/KSTP.2015.24.1.37
- C. J. Lee, J. Y. Kim, S. K. Lee, D. C. Ko, B. M. Kim, 2010, Parametric Study on Mechanical Clinching Process for Joining Aluminum Alloy and High-Strength Steel Sheets, J. Mech. Sci. Technol., Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 123~126. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-1118-5
- ASTM D 5868-01, 2008, Standard Test Methods for Lap Shear Adhesion for Fiber Reinforced Plastic (FRP) Bonding.