- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on Estimation of Added Resistance in Waves Using Modified Radiated Energy Method and Short Wave Correction Method
수정된 방사 에너지법과 단파장 영역 보정법을 이용한 파랑 중 부가저항 추정에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.10.08
- Accepted : 2016.01.20
- Published : 2016.02.20
A simple calculation tool for added resistance in waves is developed to utilize for initial design or embedded module for navigation support system. In order to select an appropriate calculation method for added resistance in waves, three methods (drift method, integrated pressure method, radiated energy method) based on strip method are applied to Wigley I and KVLCC2. The methods for added resistance in waves give the underestimated results because it is difficult to consider nonlinear effects due to reflected wave. We apply asymptotic (Faltinsen's method) and empirical formula (NMRI's method) to improve the accuracy for short wave length region. In comparison with experimental results, the combination of radiated energy method and short wave correction method of NMRI is the most reasonable. However, a simple sum of results calculated by two methods gives rise to the overestimation of added resistance for short wave length region because added resistance of radiated energy method exits in total reflection region. To overcome this problem, modified radiated energy method is proposed using correction coefficient defined by reflection coefficient of NMRI's method. Finally, added resistance in regular waves is composed of added resistance of modified radiated energy method and that of short wave correction method of NMRI. Estimated added resistance in regular waves is validated by comparison with experimental results of other research groups.
Added resistance in waves;Strip method;Modified radiated energy method;Short waves;Empirical formula
- Faltinsen, O.M. Minsaas, K.J. Liapis, N. & Skjørdal, S.O., 1980. Prediction of resistance and propulsion of a ship in a seaway. Proceeding of 13th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Tokyo, Japan, 6-10 October 1980, pp.505-529.
- Fujii, H. & Takahashi, T., 1975. Experimental study on the resistance increase of a ship in regular oblique waves. Proceeding of the 14th ITTC, Ottawa, September 1975, pp.351-360.
- Gerritsma, J. & Beukelman, W., 1972. Analysis of the Resistance Increase in Waves of a Fast Cargo Ship. International Shipbuilding Progress, 19(217), pp.285-293.
- ITTC Seakeeping Commitee, 1987. Report of the seakeeping commitee. Proceefings of 18th International Towing Tank Conference ITTC, Siciety if Naval Architects of Japan, Kobe, 1 October 1987, pp.401-468.
- Joosen, W.P.A., 1966. Added Resistance in Waves. In Proceedings of 28th International Towing Tank Conference, 1, pp.401-468.
- Journee, J.M.J., 1992. Experiments and calculations on four Wigley hull forms, report 0909-DUT-92. Delft: Delft University of Technology.
- Journee, J.M.J., 2001. Theoretical Manual of SEAWAY. Delft University of Technology: Delft.
- Maruo, H. & Ishii, T., 1976, Calculation of Added Resistance in Head Sea Waves by Means of a Simplified Formula. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Japan, 140, pp.136-141.
- Park, D.M. Seo, M.G. Lee, J. Yang K.K. & Kim, Y., 2014. Systematic Experimental and Numerical Analyses on Added Resistance in Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 51(6), pp.459-473. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2014.51.6.459
- Sadat-Hosseini, H. Wu, P.C. Carrica, P.M. Kim, H. Toda, Y. & Stern, F., 2013. CFD Verification and Validation of Added Resistance and Motions of KVLCC 2 with Fixed and Free Surge in Short and Long Head Waves. Ocean Engineering, 59, pp.240-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2012.12.016
- Salvesen, N., Tuck, E.O., & Faltisen, O. 1970. Ship Motions and Sea Loads. Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Transactions, 78, pp.250-287.
- Storm-Tejsen, J. Yeh, H.Y.H. & Moran, D.D., 1973. Added Resistance in Waves. Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Transactions, 81, pp.109-143.
- Tsujimoto, M. Shibata, K. Kuroda, M. & Takagi, K., 2008. A Practical Correction Method for Added Resistance in Waves. Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineers, 8, pp.177-184. https://doi.org/10.2534/jjasnaoe.8.177
- Arribas, F.P., 2007. Some Methods to Obtain the Added Resistance of a Ship Advancing in Waves. Ocean Engineering, 34, pp.946-955. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oceaneng.2006.06.002
- Boese, P., 1970. Eine einfache Methode zur Berechnung der Wiederstandserhohung eines Schiffes in Seegang. Journal Schiffstechnik-Ship Technology Research, 17(86).
- Cao, Y. Schultz, W. & Beck, R.F., 1991. Three-dimensional Desingularized Boundary Integral Methods for Potential Problems. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 12, pp.785-803. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.1650120807
- Kuroda, M. Tsujimoto, M. Fujiwara, T. Ohmatsu, S. & Takagi, K., 2008. Investigation on Components of Added Resistance in Short Waves. Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineers, 8, pp.171-176. https://doi.org/10.2534/jjasnaoe.8.171
- Kwon, Y.J., 1987. A Research on the Added Resistance Due to Wave Reflection. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 24(1), pp.35-41.
- Maruo, H., 1963. Resistance in Waves. Researches on Seakeeping Qualities of Ships in Japan. The Society of Naval Architecture of Japan, 60th Anniversary Series, 8, pp.67-102.
- Yang, K.K. Seo, M.G. & Kim, Y., 2015. Analysis of Added Resistance in Short Waves. Journal of the Society of Naval Architects of Korea, 52(4), pp.338-348. https://doi.org/10.3744/SNAK.2015.52.4.338