- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Review Study on Yoga, Qigong, and Taichi Interventions for Anxiety: Based on Korean Journal Articles from 2009 to 2015
불안에 대한 운동요법 중 요가, 기공, 태극권 연구 고찰: 2009년부터 2015년까지 국내학술지 논문을 중심으로
- Received : 2016.02.25
- Accepted : 2016.03.09
- Published : 2016.03.30
Objectives: This study was performed to investigate the research trends of physical activities interventions such as yoga, taichi, and qigong to reduce anxiety. Methods: Korean databases were searched for articles related to survey of physical activity interventions (yoga, taichi, qigong) to reduce anxiety from 2009 to 2015. Results: Fifteen articles published in Korean journals from 2009 to 2015 were retrieved. The quality of studies were generally low and characteristics of subject were not homogeneous. Spielberger State Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI) was used most frequently as an assessment tool. The included publications included 9 articles on yoga, 4 articles on qigong, and 2 articles on taichi. Of these, 8 of 9 articles on yoga, 2 of 4 articles on qigong, and 2 of 2 articles on taichi reported that intervention group showed statistically significant decrease of anxiety symptoms. Conclusions: In this study, physical activity interventions such as yoga, taichi and qigong might be beneficial for reducing anxiety. However, more scientifically designed research on physical activity- based treatments are needed to prove the efficacy and effectiveness.
Physical Activity Intervention;Anxiety;Yoga;Taichi;Qigong
- Lee KS, Bae HL, Kim DH. Factor Analysis of the Korean Version of the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory in Patients with Anxiety Disorders. Anxiety and mood. 2008;4(2):104-10.
- Lee MJ, Lim CK, Ryu JY. The Effect of the Stress, Anxiety and Depression on Somatization: focused on specialized vocational high school students. Journal of Welfare Administration. 2014;30:109-33.
- Woo JM, Lee CS. Pharmacological Treatment of Anxiety Disorders in Medical Illness. 2007;15(1):3-6.
- Comer JS, Blanco C, Hasin DS, Liu SM, Grant BF, Turner JB, Olfson M. Health-related quality of life across the anxiety disorders. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2011;72(1):43-50. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.09m05094blu
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. statistical information : Statistics of diseases and treatments. 2014.
- DuPont RL, Rice DP, Miller LS, Shiraki SS, Rowland CR, Harwood HJ. Economic costs of anxiety disorders. Anxiety. 1996;2(4):167-72. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-7154(1996)2:4<167::AID-ANXI2>3.0.CO;2-L
- Kessler RC, Greenberg PE. The economic burden of anxiety and stress disorders. In Neuropsychopharmacology – 5th Generation of Progress. LWW. 2002;981-92.
- Statistics Korea statistics DB. The epidemiological survey of mental disorders in Korea : Prevalence ratio and estimated number of patients of anxiety disorder. 2011.
- Lee SH, Kang MJ, Lim JH, Seong WY. A Review Study in Treatment for Anxiety Disorder in Traditional Chinese Medicine. Journal of oriental neuropsychiatry. 2012;23(2):1-12.
- Park YN. New challenge for psychiatry : From symptomatic treatment to mental health promotion. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. 2012;51(3):101-6. https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2012.51.3.101
- Korean Neuropsychiatric Association. Textbook of Neuropsychiatry. Joong-ang. 2005:202-30.
- Kim JM. Anxiety disorders in late-life. Journal of Korean Geriatric Psychiatry. 2005;9(1):26-31.
- Saeed SA, Antonacci DJ, Bloch RM. Exercise, yoga, and meditation for depressive and anxiety disorders. American Family Physician. 2010;81(8):981-6.
- Jorm AF, Christensen H, Griffiths KM, Parslow RA, Rodgers B, Blewitt KA. Effectiveness of complementary and self-help treatments for anxiety disorders. Medical Journal of Australia. 2004;181(7 SUPPLEMENT):S29-46.
- Park SH, Han KS, Kang CB, Park ES. Effects of an Exercise Program on Depression Symptom, Self-esteem and Stress in Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 2013;22(1):22-33. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2013.22.1.22
- Chung WB, Lee KW, Hwang IH, Lee DH, Kim SY. Quality Assessment of Randomized Controlled Trials in the Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine. Journal of the Korean Academy of Family Medicine. 2009;30:626-31. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2009.30.8.626
- Jayakody K, Gunadasa S, Hosker C. Exercise for anxiety disorders: systematic review. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014;48(3):187-96. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2012-091287
- Rosenbaum S, Tiedemann A, Sherrington C, Curtis J, Ward PB. Physical activity interventions for people with mental illness: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry. 2014;75(9):964-74. https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.13r08765
- KIM JW. Korean Medicine Based on Psychotherapy for Healing the Spirit. Hakjisa. 2006;58-79.
- Cho HY, Park SH. The effects of the Hatha Yoga program on psychological, physical and expressional factors of dance performance. Ewha Journal of Human Movement Science. 2009;12:59-69.
- Heo DG. Effect of meditation program on stress response reduction of the elderly. Journal of the Korea Contents Association. 2009;9(3):232-40. https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2009.9.3.232
- You SY, Kim KS. The effects of yoga activities on young children’s basic physical strength and daily stress. Korean Journal of Children’s Media. 2010;9(1):143-62.
- Kim AD, Kim HG. A study on the effects of yoga and dance meditation program to improve the middle-aged women’s various stress. Journal of Arts Psychotherapy. 2012;8(4):141-66.
- Shim CS, Lee YS. Effects of a yoga-focused prenatal program on stress, anxiety, self confidence and labor pain in pregnant women with in vitro fertilization treatment. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2012;42(3):369-76. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.3.369
- Lim SA, Jeong KJ. Regular Yoga Practice and Mental Training Beneficially Affects Physical and Mental Status of Primipara. Journal of Korea Society for Wellness. 2015;10(1):271-81.
- Lim SA, Cheong KJ. A study on the effects of a yoga program on improving mental and physiological health of lower income bracket females. Journal of Arts Psychotherapy. 2012;8(4):21-50.
- Park YJ. The effects of yoga program on stress and anxiety for worker. Korean Association of Meditational Healing. 2013;4(1):13-24.
- Jatin C, Kim YK. The effects of Pranayama Yoga on stress and anxiety. Korean Journal of Sport. 2013;11(1):227-35.
- So WY, Seo HK, Choi DH, Shin HJ, Cho EH, Yoo BW, Jun TW. The effect of qigong exercise on SF-36 and psychological factors of middle-aged obese. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society. 2010;30(1):21-30.
- Sin MS, Kim YS, Lee MH. Effects of Doin Gigong exercise on recovery from facial paralysis, pain and anxiety of Bell’s palsy patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research. 2012;18(1):52-62.
- Kwak DY, Lee HH. Effects of practice program of spontaneous qigong for stress, mind and body therapy. Journal of Naturopathy. 2013;2(2):135-44.
- Byun EK, Chang KO. The effects of Oriental Medicine qi gong program on the anxiety and self efficacy among children using community child center. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society. 2014;15(3):1623-31. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.3.1623
- Song RY, Eom AY, Lee EO, Lam P, Bae SC. Effects of tai chi combined with self-help program on arthritic symptoms and fear of falling in women with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2009;16(1):46-54.
- Korean Psychosomatic Society. Psychosomatic medicine. Jipmoon-Dang. 2012:220-47.
- Park YJ, Kim MS. Effect of Tai Chi exercise program on anxiety, powerlessness, and self-esteem in elderly women. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2011;18(2):147-57. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2011.18.2.147
- Min SG, et al. Modern Psychiatry. Iljogak. 2008:323-7.
- Kessler RC, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Alonso J, Chatterji S, Lee S, Ormel J, Ustün TB, Wang PS. The global burden of mental disorders: an update from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) surveys. Epidemiologia Psichiatria Sociale. 2009;18(1):23-33. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1121189X00001421
- Ströhle A. Physical activity, exercise, depression and anxiety disorders. Journal of Neural Transmission. 2009;116(6):777-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00702-008-0092-x
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health homepage https://nccih.nih.gov/health/integrativehealth
- Skowronek IB, Mounsey A, Handler L. Clinical Inquiry: can yoga reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression? Journal of Family Practice. 2014;63(7):398-407.
- Wang F, Lee EK, Wu T, Benson H, Fricchione G, Wang W, Yeung AS. The effects of tai chi on depression, anxiety, and psychological well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2014;21(4):605-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12529-013-9351-9
- Wang CW, Chan CH, Ho RT, Chan JS, Ng SM, Chan CL. Managing stress and anxiety through qigong exercise in healthy adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2014;14:8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-14-8
- Park KO, Hwang EH, Sul JU, Shin MS. An Effect of Yoga Therapy on Relieving Dysmenorrhea: RCTs (Randomized controlled trials) Review. Society of Preventive Korean Medicine. 2011;15(2):39-49.
- Janakiramaiah N, Gangadhar BN, Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ, Harish MG, Subbakrishna DK, Vedamurthachar A. Antidepressant efficacy of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) in melancholia: a randomized comparison with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and imipramine. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2000;57(1-3):255-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-0327(99)00079-8
- The Textbook Complication Committee of Neuropsychiatry of Oriental Medical Schools in Nation. The Neuropsychiatry of Oriental Medicine. Jipmoon Publishing Co.. 2012:25, 641, 712-21.
- Lee MC, Sa HS, Keum KS. A study on the Effect of Health of the 24-Form Taegeukkwon. Journal Of Korean Medical Classics. 2009;22(2):263-73.
- Song RY. Applying Tai Chi from Nursing Perspective. Korean Journal of Stress Research. 2006;14(4):345-50.
- Panebianco M, Sridharan K, Ramaratnam S. Yoga for epilepsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2015;5:CD001524.
- Varambally S, Gangadhar BN, Thirthalli J, Jagannathan A, Kumar S, Venkatasubramanian G, Muralidhar D, Subbakrishna DK, Nagendra HR. Therapeutic efficacy of add-on yogasana intervention in stabilized outpatient schizophrenia: Randomized controlled comparison with exercise and waitlist. Indian Journal of Psychiatry. 2012;54(3):227-32. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.102414
- Li M, Chen K, Mo Z. Use of qigong therapy in the detoxification of heroin addicts. Alternative Therapies In Health And Medicine. 2002;8(1):50-9.
- Liu X, Clark J, Siskind D, Williams GM, Byrne G, Yang JL, Doi SA. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the effects of Qigong and Tai Chi for depressive symptoms. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2015;23(4):516-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2015.05.001
- Hernandez-Reif M, Field TM, Thimas E. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Benefits from Tai Chi. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies. 2001;5(2):120-3. https://doi.org/10.1054/jbmt.2000.0219
- Wang C, Bannuru R, Ramel J, Kupelnick B, Scott T, Schmid CH. Tai Chi on psychological well-being: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2010;10:23. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6882-10-23