- Volume 26 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effect of Ledebouriella seseloides Extracts on Lipid Parameters in Ovariectomized Rats
방풍나물 추출물이 난소절제 흰쥐의 혈중 지질 변화에 미치는 영향
Jeon, Myeong-Jeong;Kim, Mihyang
- Received : 2015.11.11
- Accepted : 2016.01.27
- Published : 2016.01.30
This study was investigated the improvement effects of Ledebouriella seseloides (LS) ethanol extracts on lipid parameters in an ovariectomized animal model. Sixty, nine-week old female Sprague Dawley rats were randomly assigned to four groups as follows: sham-operated rats (SHAM), ovariectomized rats (OVX-CON) and ovariectomized rats that were treated with LS ethanol extracts (50 mg/kg/day and 200 mg/kg/day, respectively). The diets were fed to the rats for six weeks after their operation. The total-cholesterol and triglyceride contents on serum increased in the OVX-CON group compared to the SHAM group, but supplementation with the LS extract caused these factors to decrease. Notably, the serum LDL-cholesterol concentration in the supplemented 200 mg/kg/day LS ethanol extract group was significantly more reduced than the OVX-CON group. In addition, the platelet aggregation ability was lower in groups treated with LS than in the OVX-CON group. The alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity was lower in the LS extract group compared to the OVX-CON group. Collagen content, in bone and cartilage, were reduced by ovariectomy, but the supplemented LS extract groups exhibited higher concentrations in their bones. According to these results, the improvement effects of LS extract on serum lipid parameters and osteogenesis in ovariectomized rats were illuminated.
ALP;collagen;Ledebouriella seseloides;lipid parameters;ovariectomized rats
- Cho, S. J., Park, M. N., Kim, H. K., Kim, J. H., Kim, M. H., Kim, W. S. and Lee, Y. S. 2011. Effects of organic Ca supplements on Ca bioavailability and physiological functions in ovariectomized osteoporotic model rats. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 40, 665-672. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2011.40.5.665
- Campos, H., Wilson, P. W., Jiménez, D., McNamara, J. R., Ordovas, J. and Schaefer, E. J. 1990. Differences in apolipoproteins and low-density lipoprotein subfractions in post-menopausal women on and off estrogen therapy: results from the Framingham Offspring Study. Metabolism 39, 1033-1038. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(90)90162-6
- Cassidy, A. 1996. Physiological effects of phytoestrogens in relation to cancer and other human health risks. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 55, 399-418. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS19960038
- Carr, M. C. 2003. The emergence of the metabolic syndrome with menopause. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 88, 2404-2411. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2003-030242
- Clarkson, T. B. 2002. Soy, soy phytoestrogens and cardiovascular disease. J. Nutr. 132, 566S-569S.
- Ford, E. S., Giles, W. H. and Dietz, W. H. 2002. Prevalence of the metabolic syndrome among US adults. JAMA. 287, 356-359. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.3.356
- Badimon, L., Badimon, J. J., Penny, W., Webster, M. W., Chesebro, J. H. and Fuster, V. 1992. Endothelium and atherosclerosis. J. Hypertens. 10, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004872-199207001-00007
- Barrett-Connor, E. and Bush, T. L. 1991. Estrogen and coronary heart disease in woman. JAMA. 265, 1861-1867. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1991.03460140089033
- Furie, B. and Furie, B. C. 1988. The molecular basis of blood coagulation. Cell. 53, 505-518. https://doi.org/10.1016/0092-8674(88)90567-3
- Khandwala, H. M., Mumm, S. and Whyte, M. P. 2006. Low serum alkaline phosphatase activity and pathologic fracture: case report and brief review of hypophosphatasia diagnosed in adulthood. Endocr. Pract. 12, 676-681. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP.12.6.676
- Guideline Development Committee, Korean Society of Bone Metabolism. 2008. Osteoporosis diagnosis and treatment. 2007. 23, 76-108.
- Je, S. Y. and Park, W. H. 1998. The relationship of cardiopulmonary fitness to plasma fibrinogen, plasminogen activator inhibitor Type-1 (PAI-1), and lipoprotein (a) [LP (a)] in healthy postmenopausal women. J. Kor. Sports Med. 16, 282-291.
- Kassem, M., Brixen, K., Mosekilde, L., Blum, W. F. and Flyvbjerg, A. 1998. Effects of growth hormone treatment on serum levels of insulin‐like growth factors (IGFs) and IGF binding proteins 1–4 in postmenopausal women. Clin. Endocrinol. 49, 747-756. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2265.1998.00606.x
- Kim, I. G., Kim, S. B., Kim, J. G. and Kim, K. C. 1993. Serum enzymes as indicators of radiation exposure in rat. J. Radiation Protection 18, 37-44.
- Kim, M. J. 2004. Anti-wrinkle effect of safflower (Carthamus tinctorius L.) seed extract (II). J. Soc. Cosmet. Scientists Korea 14, 373-377.
- Lubec, G., Labudova, O., Seebach, D., Beck, A., Hoeger, H., Hermon, M. and Weninger, M. 1995. Alpha-methyl-proline restores normal levels of bone collagen type I synthesis in ovariectomized rats. Life Sci. 57, 2245-2252. https://doi.org/10.1016/0024-3205(95)02217-7
- Bea, K. H., 1999. The medicinal plants of Korea. Kyohaksa, Seoul, Korea.
- Gao, Y., Luo, E., Hu, J., Xue, J., Zhu, S. and Li, J. 2009. Effect of combined local treatment with zoledronic acid and basic fibroblast growth factor on implant fixation in ovariectomized rats. Bone 44, 225-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2008.10.054
- Raisz, L. G. 1988. Local and systemic factors in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis. N. Engl. J. Med. 318, 818-828. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM198803313181305
- Park, S. H., Jang, M. J., Hong, J. H., Rhee, S. J., Choi, K. H. and Park, M. R. 2007. Effects of mulberry leaf extract feeding on lipid status of rats fed high cholesterol diets. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 36, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.1.043
- Park, Y. S. 2011. Effects of Eisenia bicyclis extracts on lipids and bone turnover in ovariectomized rats. MS Thesis. Silla University.
- Poehlman, E. T., Toth, M. J. and Gardner, A. W. 1995. Article RETRACTED: Changes in energy balance and body composition at menopause: A controlled longitudinal study. Ann. Intern. Med. 123, 673-675. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-123-9-199511010-00005
- Recker, R. R., Saville, P. D., and Heaney, R. P. 1977. Effect of estrogens and calcium carbonate on bone loss in post-menopausal women. Ann. Intern. Med. 87, 649-655. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-87-6-649
- Schemmel, R. A., Teague, R. J. and Bray, G. A. 1982. Obesity in osborne-mendel and S 5B/Pl rats: effects of sucrose solutions, castration, and treatment with estradiol or insulin. Am. J. Physiol. 243, R347-R353.
- Shimizu, H., Shimomura, Y., Sato, N., Uehara, Y. and Kobayashi, I. 1992. Colonic temperature was not changed in the development of obesity after ovariectomy. Exp. Clin. Endocrinol. 99, 99-101. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0029-1211145
- Siess, W. 1989. Molecular mechanism of platelet activation. Physiol. Rev. 69, 58-178. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.19126.96.36.199
- Gale, S. K. and Sclafani, A. 1977. Comparison of ovarian and hypothalamic obesity syndromes in the female rat: Effects of diet palatability on food intake and body weight. J. Comp. Physiol. Psychol. 91, 381-392. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0077328
- Toth, M. J., Tchernof, A., Sites, C. K. and Poehlman, E. T. 2000. Menopause-related changes in body fat distribution. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 904, 502-506.
- Starzec, J. J. and Berger, D. F. 1986. Effects of stress and ovariectomy on the plasma cholesterol, serum triglyceride, and aortic cholesterol levels of female rats. Physiol. Behav. 37, 99-104. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9384(86)90390-2
- Sziklai, I. and Ribari, O. 1985. The effect of flavone treatment on human otosclerotic ossicle organ cultures. Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 242, 67-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00464409
- Tiku, M. L., Allison, G. T., Naik, K. and Karry, S. K. 2003. Malondialdehyde oxidation of cartilage collagen by chondrocytes. Osteoarthr. Cartil. 11, 159-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1063-4584(02)00348-5
- Wakatsuki, A. and Sagara, Y. 1995. Lipoprotein metabolism in postmenopausal and oophorectomized women. Obestet. Gynecol. 85, 523-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-7844(94)00452-J
- Wang, C. C., Chen, L. G. and Yang, L. L. 1999. Inducible nitric oxide synthase inhibitor of the Chinese herb I. Saposhnikovia divaricate (Turcz.) Schischk. Cancer Lett. 145, 151-157. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3835(99)00248-7
- Woessner, J. F. 1961. The determination of hydroxyproline in tissue and protein sample containing small proportion of this amino acid. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 93, 440-447. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9861(61)90291-0
- Yamazaki, I. and Yamaguchi, H. 1989. Characteristics of an ovariectomized osteopenic rat model. J. Bone Miner. Res. 4, 13-22.
- Lee, S. S. and Park, J. H. 1989. Long-term effect of ovariectomy on body composition. Kor. J. Nutr. 22, 102-107.
- Miller, Valery T., et al. 1995. Effects of estrogen or estrogen/progestin regimens on heart disease risk factors in postmenopausal women. The postmenopausal estrogen/progestin interventions (PEPI) trial. JAMA. 273, 199-208. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1995.03520270033028
- Zeiher, A. M., Schachlinger, V., Hohnloser, S. H., Saurbier, B. and Just, H. 1994. Coronary atherosclerotic wall thickening and vascular reactivity in humans. Elevated high-density lipoprotein levels ameliorate abnormal vasoconstriction in early atherosclerosis. Circulation 89, 2525-2532. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.89.6.2525
- Stampfer, M. J. and Colditz, G. A. 1991. Estrogen replacement therapy and coronary heart disease: a quantitative assessment of the epidemiologic evidence. Prev. Med. 20, 47-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(91)90006-P
- Zamboni, M., Armellini, F., Milani, M. P., De Marchi, M., Todesco, T., Robbi, R. and Bosello, O. 1992. Body fat distribution in pre-and post-menopausal women: metabolic and anthropometric variables and their inter-relationships. Int. J. Obes. Relat. Metab. Disord. 16, 495-504.