- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characterization of Agarase Produced from the Isolated Marine Bacterium Marinomonas sp. SH-2
해양성 Marinomonas sp. SH-2 균주가 생성하는 agarase의 분리 및 특성조사
- Received : 2015.10.27
- Accepted : 2015.11.24
- Published : 2016.02.25
This study aimed to isolate a novel agarase-producing marine bacterium and characterize its agarase, as agarases are known to produce biofunctional agarooligosaccharides or neo-agarooligosaccharides. A novel agar-degrading bacterium, SH-2, was isolated from the seawater of Namhae in Gyeongnam Province, Korea, and cultured in Marine agar 2216 medium. The 16S rRNA gene sequence represented 99% identity with that of the members of the Marinomonas genus; hence, the isolated bacterium was named Marinomonas sp. SH-2. The crude agarase was prepared from a culture medium of Marinomonas. sp SH-2, and exhibited maximum agarase activity at 170.2 units/l. The optimum conditions were pH 6.0 and 30℃ in 20 mM Tris-HCl buffer. The agarase activity of the bacterium was highly elevated from 20℃(42% relative activity) to 30℃(100%), and 82% activity was shown at 40℃. Its relative activities were less than 40% at over 40℃ after a 0.5 hr exposure. Relative activity was 100% at pH 6.0, while it was 72% and 48% at pH 5.0 and pH 7.0, respectively. The enzyme from Marinomonas sp. SH-2 degraded agarose to neoagarohexaose and neoagarotetraose, indicating that the enzyme is β-agarase. Thus, Marinomonas sp. SH-2 and its enzyme could be practical for applications in food, cosmetic, and medical research.
Agarase;marine bacterium;Marinomonas sp. SH-1;neoagarohexaose;neoagarotetraose
- Oh, Y. H., Jung, C. and Lee, J. 2011. Isolation and characterization of a novel agarase-producing Pseudoalteromonas spp. Bacterium from the guts of spiny turban shells. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 21, 818-821. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1012.12027
- Rhee, Y. J., Han, C. R., Kim, W. C., Jun, D. Y., Rhee, I. K. and Kim, Y. H. 2010. Isolation of a novel freshwater agarolytic Cellvibrio sp. KY-YJ-3 and characterization of its extracellular beta-agarase. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 20, 1378-1385. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1007.07010
- Xie, H., Han, B., Dong, W., Yang, Y., Chang, J., Peng, Y. and Liu, W. 2009. Isolation and characterization of a marine agarase. Wei. Sheng. Wu. Xue. Bao. 49, 896-901.
- Yoon, J. H., Kang, S. J. and Oh, T. K. 2005. Marinomonas dokdonensis sp. Nov., isolated from sea water. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 55, 2303-2307. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.63830-0
- Lee, D. G., Jang, M. K., Lee, O. H., Kim, N. Y., Ju, S. A. and Lee, S. H. 2008. Over-production of a glycoside hydrolase family 50 β-agarase from Agarivorans sp. JA-1 in Bacillus subtilis and the whitening effect of its product. Biotechnol. Lett. 30, 911-918. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-008-9634-4
- Lee, D. G., Kim, N. Y., Jang, M. K., Lee, O. H. and Lee, S. H. 2007. Isolation and characterization of a marine bacterium Thalassomonas sp. SL-5 producing β-agarase. J. Life Sci. 17, 70-75. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2007.17.1.070
- Lee, D. G., Lee, O. H., Jang, H. J., Jang, M. K., Yoo, K. H. and Lee, S. H. 2008. Isolation and characterization of a marine derived bacterium Glaciecola sp. SL-12 producing β-agarase. J. Life Sci. 18, 58-62. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.1.058
- Lee, J. H. and Lee, S. Y. 2014. Isolation and characterization of marine bacterial strain SH-1 producing agar-degrading enzymes. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 42, 324-330. https://doi.org/10.4014/kjmb.1410.10009
- Lee, S. A., Kim, J. U., Jung, J. G., Kim, I. H., Lee, S. H., Kim, S. J. and Lee, J. H. 2006. Production of β-agarase in batch and fed-batch culture by Agarivorans sp. JA-1. Kor. J. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 21, 389-393.
- Lee, Y. D., Oh, C. H., Zoysa, M. D., Kim, H. W., Wickramaarachchi, W. D. N., Whang, I. S., Kang, D. H. and Lee, J. H. 2013. Molecular cloning, overexpression, and enzymatic characterization of glycosyl hydrolase family 16 β-agarase from marine bacterium Saccharophagus sp. AG21 in Escherichia coli. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 23, 913-922. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.1209.09009
- Lim, D. J., Kim, B. J., Bae, S. K., Kim, J. D. and Kong, J. Y. 1999. Immobilization of agarase for the agarooligosaccharide production. Kor. J. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 27, 208-214.
- Nikapitiya, C., Oh, C. H., Lee, Y. D., Lee, S. K., Whang, I. S. and Lee, J. H. 2010. Characterization of a glycoside hydrolase family 50 thermostable β-agarase AgrA from marine bacteria Agarivorans sp. AG17. Fish. Aq. Sci. 13, 36-48.
- Cha, J. A., Kim, Y. J., Seo, Y. B. and Yoon, M. H. 2009. Isolation of an agarolytic bacteria, Cellvibrio mixtus SC-22 and the enzymatic properties. J. Appl. Biol. Chem. 52, 157-162. https://doi.org/10.3839/jabc.2009.027
- Jang, H. J., Lee, D. G., Lee, S. W., Jeon, M. J., Chun, W. J., Kwon, K. K., Lee, H. S. and Lee, S. H. 2011. Isolation of a marine-derived Flammeovirga sp. mbrc-1 strain and characterization of its agarase. Kor. Soc. Biotechnol. Bioeng. J. 26, 552-556.
- Jeon, M. J., Kim, A. R., Lee, D. G. and Lee, S. H. 2012. Cloning, expression, and characterization of a novel GH-16 β-agarase from Agarivorans sp. JA-1. J. Life Sci. 22, 1545-1551. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2012.22.11.1545
- Jung, I. S. 2007. Purification and characterization of agarase produced from marine bacterium, Sphingomonas paucimobilis AS-1 and Aligibacter lectus AS-3. M.S. dissertation. Silla University, Busan, Korea.
- Kim, Y. J. 2010. Properties of the agarase and its gene isolated from a marine bacterium, Tamlana agarivorans. Chungnam National Univ. Taejon, Korea.
- Future direction in marine bacterial agarases for industrial applications vol.102, pp.16, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00253-018-9156-5