- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Mouse Single Oral Dose Toxicity Test of Lactobacillus-fermented Araliae Continentalis Radix Aqueous Extracts (fACR)
독활의 복합 유산균 발효 추출액의 마우스에 대한 단회경구투여 독성시험
- Received : 2015.12.24
- Accepted : 2016.01.29
- Published : 2016.02.25
The objective of this study was to obtain acute (single) oral dose toxicity information on Lactobacillus-fermented Araliae Continentalis Radix aqueous extracts (fACR) in female and male ICR mice, as compared with Araliae Continentalis Radix aqueous extracts (ACR). After administering a single oral dose of fACR, no treatment-related mortalities were observed within 14 days after the end of treatment up to 2,000 mg/kg, the maximum dosage for rodents of both sexes; moreover, no fACR treatment-related changes in the body and organ weights, clinical signs, necropsy, and histopathological findings were detected in this experiment. In addition, no ACR 2,000 mg/kg treatment-related mortalities, clinical signs, body and organ weights, or gross and histopathological findings were observed, as compared with equal genders of vehicle control. The results obtained in this study suggest that fACR is non-toxic in mice and is, therefore, likely to be safe for clinical use. The LD50 and approximate LD in female mice and male mice, respectively, were considered after a single oral dose of fACR over 2,000 mg/kg, the maximum dosage for rodents. In addition, no specific targets or clinical signs were detected in the present study. ACR 2,000 mg/kg-treated mice also did not show any treatment-related mortalities, clinical signs, changes to body and organ weights, or gross and histopathological findings, as compared with equal genders of vehicle control.
Histopathology;Lactobacillus fermented Araliae Continentalis Radix aqueous extracts (fACR);mouse;single oral dose toxicity
- Trinh, H. T., Han, S. J., Kim, S. W., Lee, Y. C. and Kim, D. H. 2007. Bifidus fermentation increases hypolipidemic and hypoglycemic effects of red ginseng. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 17, 1127-1133.
- Oh, H. L., Lim, H., Cho, Y. H., Koh, H. C., Kim, H., Lim, Y. and Lee, C. H. 2009. HY251, a novel cell cycle inhibitor isolated from Aralia continentalis, induces G1 phase arrest via p53-dependent pathway in HeLa cells. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 19, 959-961. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2008.11.087
- Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (Ed.). OECD guideline (423) for testing of chemicals - acute oral toxicity-acute toxic class method. 2001.
- Park, H. J., Hong, M. S., Lee, J. S., Leem, K. H., Kim, C. J., Kim, J. W. and Lim, S. 2005. Effects of Aralia continentalis on hyperalgesia with peripheral inflammation. Phytother. Res. 19, 511-513. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1693
- Park, J. H., Seo, B. I., Cho, S. Y., Park, K. R., Choi, S. H., Han, C. K., Song, C. H., Park, S. J. and Ku, S. K. 2013. Single oral dose toxicity study of prebrewed armeniacae semen in rats. Toxicol. Res. 29, 91-98. https://doi.org/10.5487/TR.2013.29.2.091
- Pineda, M. H. 1989. Female reproductive system. In: McDonald LE and Pineda MH (Eds). Veterinary endocrinology and reproduction, Lea & Febiger: Philadelphia, 303-354.
- Roh, S. S. and Ku, S. K. 2010. Mouse single oral dose toxicity study of DHU001, a polyherbal formula. Toxicol. Res. 26, 53-59. https://doi.org/10.5487/TR.2010.26.1.053
- Saravanan, N., Rajasankar, S. and Nalini, N. 2007. Antioxidant effect of 2-hydroxy-4-methoxy benzoic acid on ethanol induced hepatotoxicity in rats. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 59, 445-453. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.59.3.0015
- Seo, S. H., Hwang, Y. H., Lee, J. H., Oh, S. Y., Kim, T. S. and Ma, J. Y. 2012. Single dose oral toxicity study of fermented Soshiho-tang extract in mice. Kor. J. Orient. Physiol. Pathol. 26, 47-52.
- Tajima, Y. (Ed). 1989. Biological reference data book on experimental animals. Soft Science Inc., Tokyo
- Korea Food and Drug Administration. Testing Guidelines for Safety Evaluation of Drugs (Notification No. 2013-121, issued by the Korea Food and Drug Administration on April 05, 2013), 2013.
- Lee, J. E., Kim, H. J., Lee, C. H., Lee, K. C., Choi, E. K., Chai, H. Y., Yun, Y. W., Kim, D. J., Nam, S. Y., Lee, B. J. and Ahn, B. W. 2003. Four-week repeated-dose toxicity study on pinellia extract. Kor. J. Lab. Anim. Sci. 19, 127-141.
- Lee, W. H., Gam, C. O., Ku, S. K. and Choi, S. H. 2011. Single oral dose toxicity test of platycodin D, a saponin from platycodin radix in mice. Toxicol. Res. 27, 217-224. https://doi.org/10.5487/TR.2011.27.4.217
- Levene, A. 1981. Pathological factors influencing excision of tumours in the head and neck. Part I. Clin. Otalary. 6, 145-151. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2273.1981.tb01800.x
- Lim, H., Jung, H. A., Choi, J. S., Kim, Y. S., Kang, S. S. and Kim, H. P. 2009. Anti-inflammatory activity of the constituents of the roots of Aralia continentalis. Arch. Pharm. Res. 32, 1237-1243. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-009-1909-3
- Ludbrook, J. 1997. Update: microcomputer statistics packages. A personal view. Clin. Exp. Pharmacol. Physiol. 24, 294-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1681.1997.tb01823.x
- Kim, C. M., Yi, S. J., Cho, I. J. and Ku, S. K. 2013. Red-koji fermented red ginseng ameliorates high fat diet-induced metabolic disorders in mice. Nutrients 5, 4316-4332. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu5114316
- Noh, J. R., Kim, Y. H., Gang, G. T., Hwang, J. H., Kim, S. K., Ryu, S. Y., Kim, Y. S., Lee, H. S. and Lee, C. H. 2011. Hepatoprotective effect of Platycodon grandiflorum against chronic ethanol-induced oxidative stress in C57BL/6 mice. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 58, 224-231. https://doi.org/10.1159/000330117
- Oh, H. L., Lee, D. K., Lim, H. and Lee, C. H. 2010. HY253, a novel decahydrofluorene analog, from Aralia continentalis, induces cell cycle arrest at the G1 phase and cytochrome c-mediated apoptosis in human lung cancer A549 cells. J. Ethnopharmacol. 129, 135-139. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2010.02.010
- Fox, J. G., Cohen, B. J. and Loew, F. M. 1984. Laboratory animal medicine. Academic Press. Inc., Orlando.
- Hwang, Y. P., Choi, J. H. and Jeong, H. G. 2009. Protective effect of the Aralia continentalis root extract against carbon tetrachloride-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Food Chem. Toxicol. 47, 75-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.10.011
- Irwin, S. 1968. Comprehensive observational assessment: Ia. A systemic, quantitative procedure for assessing the behavioral and physiological state of the mouse. Psychopharmacologia 13, 222-257. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00401615
- Jeong, S. I., Han, W. S., Yun, Y. H. and Kim, K. J. 2006. Continentalic acid from Aralia continentalis shows activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Phytother. Res. 20,511-514. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1894
- Jeong, S. I., Kim, B. S., Keum, K. S., Lee, K. H., Kang, S. Y., Park, B. I., Lee, Y. R. and You, Y. O. 2013. Kaurenoic acid from aralia continentalis inhibits biofilm formation of Streptococcus mutans. Evid. Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013, 160592.
- Jung, H. J., Choi, H., Lim, H. W., Shin, D., Kim, H., Kwon, B., Lee, J. E., Park, E. H. and Lim, C. J. 2012. Enhancement of anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive actions of red ginseng extract by fermentation. J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 64, 756-762. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2042-7158.2012.01460.x
- Jung, Y. M., Lee, D. S. and Kwon, K. S. 2016. Anti-Inflammatory Effects of Fusion-Fermented Aralia continentalis Radix (fACR) on THP-1 cells. J. Digital Convergence 14, 353-361. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.1.353
- Flecknell, P. 1996. Laboratory Animal Anesthesia, 2nd Ed, p 269, Harcourt Brace & Company.
- Jung, Y. M., Lee, S. H., Lee, D. S., You, M. J., Chung, I. K., Cheon, W. H., Kwon, Y. S., Lee, Y. J. and Ku, S. K. 2011. Fermented garlic protects diabetic, obese mice when fed a high-fat diet by antioxidant effects. Nutr. Res. 31, 387-396. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nutres.2011.04.005
- Bae, E. A., Hyun, Y. J., Choo, M. K., Oh, J. K., Ryu, J. H. and Kim, D. H. 2004. Protective effect of fermented red ginseng on a transient focal ischemic rats. Arch. Pharm. Res. 27, 1136-1140. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02975119
- Banks, W. J. 1986. Female reproductive system. In: Banks WJ (Ed). Applied veterinary histology, 2nd ed., Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore. 506-526.
- Choi, J. S., Kim, J. W., Kim, K. Y., Ku, S. K. and Sohn, J. H. 2014. Single-dose oral toxicity of fermented rice extracts (FREs): a 14-day observation. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci. 27, 129-137.
- Devipriya, N., Srinivasan, M., Sudheer, A. R. and Menon, V. P. 2007. Effect of ellagic acid, a natural polyphenol, on alcohol induced prooxidant and antioxidant imbalance: a drug dose dependent study. Singapore Med. J. 48, 311-318.
- Dourish, C. T. 1987. Effects of drugs on spontaneous motor activity. In Experimental Psychopharmacology (Greenshaw AJ, Dourish CT, Eds), pp.325-334, Humana Press, Clifton,